"Value Preservation" CC Thread

I mean Artifact appearances are the only thing I’d be against from this list.

This one I’m hard against. Primarily because PvP sets are essentially trophies for players who competed within a certain season and managed to push rating. Which that season can never be properly replicated unless you go back during the exact same season in Classic WoW.

I do agree with you - but you have to admit, it is a bad feeling for the regular player not having an authentic Forsaken-design available to them because of mismanagement of the developers. Perhaps the best solution would be to swap the set colors for the Forsaken. They already have not many good-looking sets available to them.

I think one of the biggest offenders are the pvp mounts and the faction pride tabards but I have already written about this in the topic. Should have never been gatekeeped or a FOMO-design. The old faction mounts need to be updated to these new standards.

I can’t think of any gladiator mounts that have anything to do with faction pride, and vicious mounts aren’t FOMO at all, all of the pre-SL ones are on a vendor right now and the SL ones will be on there after DF launches.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t really feel the same. Because the theme of the expansion was essentially Alliance vs Horde. Because there would’ve been a massive amount of confusion if the armor didn’t replicate what the theme of the expansion was after they stated they wanted to make armor sets more thematic.

As far as I’m concerned, they usually create PvP seasonal rewards around the faction colors. So I think that’ll always exist in their design decisions.

The problem lies within the details, as described above:

• Good-looking, new faction pride model mounts available to PVPers only. This includes the Mechastiders, rams, raptors and everything which had no visual update since Cataclysm (or Vanilla).

I could care less about the gladiator mounts but giving the majority of players a pass by not updating the old models and make them unavailable or too hard to get (rated pvp) is not a good solution. They already updated a few Worgen-mounts but not for other races. How comes? Carrot on a stick-approach to get people motivated to try out rated pvp? This could have been prevented by simply updating the old models.

I added a simple reference so you can see the difference in terms of quality (or the lack of):

1 Like

It’s interesting that now there’s this worry about value preservation, you should check the input from Halite: The X-45 Heartbreaker: a rant about randomness

Also, you should know that there’s precedents on which Blizzard doesn’t care about the value on player side since the worst change for X-45 Heartbreaker was during 2018 patch 7.3.5 that you don’t mention, on which Blizzard mentioned the following:

" Hey all,

A quick update on changes to Holiday Loot with the launch of ‘Love is in the Air’ today:

When we changed Holiday dungeons to scale based on a player’s level, we aimed to increase participation in those dungeons. We also wanted to avoid a situation where a player with an army of low-level characters had a better chance at receiving account-wide rewards than a player with one or two max-level characters. At the same time, we didn’t want to impact the amount of chances that players who maintain several max-level characters had in previous years.

As a compromise, we made account-wide rewards a random drop for any character capable of participating in current-expansion content. For the remainder of Legion, players level 98 and above fit that criteria. The minimum level requirement will increase again in Battle for Azeroth, and will continue to increase in future expansions."

Which just show that they want to put barriers for this grind and it impacted the value between players that got it before and those players that have to level up characters for BFA attempts and SL attempts, if Devs really want to have a player field on which a player with 1-2 characters can compete with a collector with 30-50 or multiple accounts, the acquisition methods should be decent and not just a waste of time, they could have fixed this farm by removing the daily id, so people could spam it with a single character, which could cause burn out but at least everyone has the same player field.

1 Like

Thanks Marohnak, you really get the point about the army of alts meta being toxic for collectors and the burn out of some time waste mounts that don’t provide any progress, i really like your response there, we need a more friendly approach for all players from 1 character to multiple as I mentioned on comment above Blizzard mentioned something similar regarding low alts doing the love is in the air event but they took the awful decision to make the event worst since Legion, I could see the scenario of removing the dailiy lockout , so alts are not required but it’ll be just a sloot machine causing frustation among players.

As collector I prefer clear goals, I’ll still be sub for different activities, Devs don’t need to implement this weird RNGs that are really extreme, actually I used to play more Blizzard games but if you want to collect in WoW, that consumes a lot of time, instead of providing challenges, Devs usually just provide time sinks.

2 Likes

Good to hear your thoughts!

RNG as a whole is a hot topic, whether it’s for mounts or gear. The one (and only?) thing that’s cool about it, is the excitement from randomly looting something. The feeling of seeing your BiS weapon drop after a boss kill, or your brand new mount, is, in my opinion, much better than buying something off a vendor. And obviously, it can get people hooked on keeping their sub active, so that’s good for Blizz.

Currently, most rare items are just assumed to be about 1%. I’m usually fine with it, I know some people would prefer higher or even guaranteed, I guess it depends on the content. I think 1/3333 (estimated drop rate for the love rocket) is exaggerated, especially since doing the dungeon isn’t particularly engaging in the first place (queue times and many loading screens if you’re spamming it - those alone probably even take more time than doing the actual instance).

2 Likes

The thing with the drop rate % is that this is just the half part of RNG, usually player ignore the other half that’s the attempts, the new protoform sysnthesis introduced in 9.2 has some low drops but you can farm a lot of mobs to get that item if you want, that only factor remove the requirement of alts just for the toxic alt army meta in order to do more attempts, that’s why the low drop from Doomwalker mount as part of the last anniversary was changed because a player with a single character only had 15 attempts per year.

I agree that RNG is a good factor for excitement but regarding both gear and cosmetics, there should be bad luck mechanics, i don’t have the answer but Devs already implemented some like the legendaries on legion that after a specific amount of activities the legendary drop was 100%, i don’t think vendors is the only solution.

But cosmetics should be a goal to achieve and the drop rate % should be accord with the attempts ratio for a player with 1 to N number of characters and we can check this in other MMOs on which Alts don’t exist due to the fact that everything is handle account wide, IMO Devs are checking the feedback from players that are trying other products and they should change with the playerbase that doesn’t have the same time that before.

1 Like

There is quite a simple solution to this. Bind it to the achievement system, as I have described it above and add conditions based on legacy content.

• For every 10.000 achievement points, increase the chance to receive obtainable (and not yet collected transmog) loot by 3% and mounts by 1% in legacy dungeons.

Alternatively or additionally, you simply put a pity system into the system, which is already active for the Paragon Legion chests and reward players with the loot depending on how many times they have finished a legacy dungeon/raid on a character.

Again, these are simple problems which have simple solutions. It’s not even on the same level of complexity of rewriting old parts of the WoW code.

That system would heavily favors people who collect achievements, though. It would suck for mount collectors who don’t specifically go hunt achievements. I like the idea of rewards for hitting achievement points milestones however. Maybe some Feats of Strength (like the It’s Over Nine Thousand! one) that could have its own titles or mounts tied to them.

If we were to have any changes to low drop rates, I think a system like we had in Legion for legendaries is a good way to go about it. Even with that, I’d still advocate for a buff to the drop rates on items like the Heartbreaker or the MoP world boss mounts, because it’s insane to have such low drops on content that really shouldn’t have to be repeated thousands of times.

2 Likes

I understand why you would not like it but you have it to see from this angle: The team developed so many features which aren’t getting played or used.

One of the big criticism is how much the game lacks compared to other MMOs and yet we have plenty of activities to do. Blizzard just did not put a carrot on top of the achievement system which is why it isn’t fully utilized and I do favor people who actually play the whole game and should also compensated for doing more than just raiding. It’s World of Warcraft, after all… and not World of Raidcraft.

Regardless of our own opinions, the developers need to change the system. It’s outdated, it’s actually quite offensive and provocative to ask players to spend so much time doing actual work instead enjoying their time in the world they created. But this is nothing new with WoW. They don’t revisit old content often enough to keep it to their new standards, they don’t update old models often enough for all the money they earn from the players. How many newcomers still want to do the MoP Timeless Isle Oden fight and they cannot? Such problems can you find across the whole game. Content gets always removed for no reasonable explanation. Everything they do feels under-utilized and wasted and only catered to raiders these days.

I don’t see it that way when it comes to achievements. While it could be fun to have some milestones achieves as I said earlier, but achievements as whole don’t need a carrot on top of it. The achievement system IS the carrot for basically most of the content. It’s through achievements that we get some mounts, pets, and titles.

I also think that the game offers a lot more than raiding, but I’m not against adding more fun and challenging content, 1-3 players activities would be cool. Ideas like Torghast or Islands are steps in the right direction, even though they’re not perfect. Mage Tower and Visions of N’Zoth were personal favorites of mine.

I don’t disagree with your later statement, old content should definitely be revisited. Timewalking is a good system that should be utilized more. However I’d be on the fence on ideas like updating old models or bringing back removed content (depending on what).

Easy, don’t play M+.

To be fair, you’re the 0.1% of the international player base and not suited for such a discussion because you have done everything and cannot understand how casuals would likely reason with the current system. The current system does not offer enough carrots to go through with it. If you look at our friends achievement points, then they are somewhere 7k-12k. They do not much and still belittle the game that it offers nothing interesting or is too much of a gatekeeper to invest time in (Pet Battles).

I’m against this. You are aware of the CC-discussion about achievements which requires a group to get done, especially when it comes to the Glory-challenges? No, I think it’s contra-productive despite being a good idea.

Speaking of Islands, the reward system is extremely flawed. I did exactly two of them the last week and already lost the interest until you can one-hit every enemy with a hunter AoE-attack. The first reward were 22 doubloons at the end, the second instance gave me exactly 2. I looked at the number and thought to myself: “No, I don’t waste time on this.”

The current Mage Tower is fine as a challenge but the rewards are bad. I can see why people want to have the original artifacts back, especially with a flawed and bugged system which requires to do every story-beat again without having it account-wide despite having pvp-account wide unlocks for the artifacts. Needs a complete overhaul, including the rewards. The Druid transmog features are especially flawed in this regard because it lists artifacts you shouldn’t own and vice versa. I have never done the challenges with a Druid back then but I get the unique bear form listed as “obtained”. I don’t really need it but it feels strange.

Old models needs to be updated, especially when they have already done content which is unavailable to the players to either have or see. The Vicious mounts models come into the mind but I have already written about it above.

I would bring every content back but the gladiator drakes and most of the pvp tier set colorizations. I do understand why people are on the fence when it comes with making them available but you do not own them in the contract we signed, you only own the time invested in. The moment the game gets closed it’s over. The best solution would to make most of the FOMO-items available in the store. It’s a good compromise and will sustain the game for a longer time.

Honestly I think a good way to do that would be to expand what Timewalking can do. Since Timewalking is for Legacy (4+ year old) content, why not have it allow you to get ‘time locked’ things from that expansion? Players who got them ‘at the time’ would have gotten their value via the 4 years they had the thing, and due to the stat/level squishing the dificulty would still be present.

Imagine people planning out raid groups/teams for going through say…WotLK time walking to get the full raid clears through the constraints of the time walking systems to get the old acheivement mount (or even a slight reskin) and getting an achievement of say: “Blast from the Past - [raid tier]” or something like that.

If i recall correctly, isles rewards baised on your actions. The mobs you kill,the chests you loot, alters the rewards after it is finished.

Its been awhile since i did one though so i am not 100% certain on it.

That’s exactly correct, that’s why people hunt the rares more than anything and search for the events things

1 Like

Looting chests effects doubloon drops too no?

Got instanced into the same map, did the very same things. The reward was just purely random. Was a very frustrating experience.