Using "Prepaid" cell service = no more custom group creation in LFG

I implore the devs to read this and pass it on.

I can no longer make new custom games in LFG. Since I use Cricket, I can’t add my phone to the account page, and in turn, I can’t turn on SMS alerts. Even though I have this cool little Diablo 3 authenticator for years, been paying for years etc., I can no longer make custom games.

Now, I know the ability to make custom games might not be game breaking to everyone, but it accounts for 100% of my gameplay - I post arena and key groups daily (or did) and now I’m stalling in both regards due to this. Especially in the arena realm, since its SUPER vague to post up a 2s comp with 0 words and just HOPE for a resto sham to apply, but why would they when there’s 0 words explaining what’s going on…

9.1.5. made everyone with an authenticator required to turn on SMS alerts, which would be fine and dandy if Blizz accepted my phone number. Please update this, allow me to create custom games again.

If you’re thinking of what to post to insult me, please don’t, I really wish for devs to see this and know there are players that can’t create custom games. Thank you.

14 Likes

Then put your physical authenticator on the account.

Plus quit being hyperbolic. You can create groups just fine and nothing is stopping you from joining other groups.

Honestly I think what Blizzard should do (but won’t) is take a much stronger stance and remove the restriction but make it clear that any hijacked account found to not have an authenticator will be deleted with no refund or compensation given to the original owner. So if your account gets taken and used to create those spammy WTS groups and gets reported, you are out everything.

Happy medium. People who want to live in the horse and buggy era are content, people who wear tin foil hats and think Blizzard is twirling their mustache and cackling over all this “extra data” the sheep are giving them are happy, and people who must be on the razer edge of poverty but still somehow can afford a modern enough PC, internet, and game time but not a cell phone with even a cheap data plan are happy.

4 Likes

I knew this would be the first reply, someone calling me out saying I’m broke. Thanks kid.

As to your first point, the authenticator I have IS physical, but you clearly didn’t read my post, since I said that in the 3rd sentence?

Not being hyperbolic at all. Everyone wants to act like not being able to post custom groups isn’t the end of the world for them. I use it for 100% of my gameplay, my guilds been dead for about 4 months and all my friends quit. I need LFG.

Oh well, I should’ve assumed I’d be trolled, called poor, and have suggestions thrown at me that are already in my OP. Pathetic forums.

13 Likes

Just so you know, it not Blizzard invalidating the number, it’s Cricket. Cricket buys blocks of numbers for cheap and a lot of them are for pre-paid phones. You get lucky here and there, it’s nothing Blizzard can help with.

2 Likes

If it make you feel any better, even if you had 100s of post all on your side, it wouldnt change Blizzard stance.

1 Like

They could maybe walk back on the stupid change they made? Locking basic game functionality for a optional account feature is silly and unproductive in the long run.

9 Likes

I’m nearly 40. Nice try “kid”. I also said put your physical authenticator on your account. Know how I know it is physical? Because that is what I am using as mine.

You can get mad or defensive all you want, but it is going to boil down to some variant of 1 of those 3 options I said for why you aren’t being like all the rest of society and have a cell phone with data services that would allow you to download and use the digital authenticator. There is no shame in being poor even, but it certainly begs the question if worrying about custom group text in a video game is more important than figuring out and working on improving your IRL situation to where you can afford/have what is honestly basic and standard tools to exist in modern society.

My physical authenticator is on my account, did you not read my OP? I even said its the Diablo 3 version.

Excuse you? So I need Sprint to function in a society? Explain to me why I have 3 authenticators for work (I work at a bank) and they ALL work with my phone? Quit being so holier than thou. My RL situation is JUST FINE. Just because I chose to leave Sprint and pay HALF shouldn’t affect you, Blizz, WoW, or anything. Quit acting like this is solely my problem. I didn’t implement this issue, I didn’t ask for it. Take your horrible attitude and leave dude, I’m trying to get real recognition from Bliz.

15 Likes

Friendly reminder that about 1/3 of the alliance raids on the shadowlands raid tab as of this post are advertising groups on third party websites, effective change is effective. All it did was hit people as collateral damage while trying to fix a symptom of a problem.

4 Likes

being able to put custom text in a group finder listing is not “basic game functionality”. people really need to stop trying to make it sound like blizzard said “you can’t use any healing spells unless you pay us $10 a month”

5 Likes

Being able to put words in a group listing is a basic function in most multiplayer games. Naming your group, and having a comment is basic menu stuff.

5 Likes

I’m sick of this attitude that just because it doesn’t affect you means it doesn’t affect anyone or matter. Paying a sub for a game I can’t even MAKE CUSTOM GROUPS FOR HELLO?

Put yourself in my situation. Which you won’t, since only Fevirin knows what empathy means. This sucks for me as 100% of my gameplay COMES from LFG. How hard is this to understand? It IS basic game functionality. Cmon, how is it not? I’m paying a monthly sub which is already more than this game should get, and I can’t even list custom groups? TO PLAY THE GAME? Daft people. Daft, all I can say.

Thank you so much Fevirin for your understanding, literally the only person who gets it and who isn’t trying to just be a troll.

2 Likes

Do you think you are the first people to try arguing this? Try something like the hundreds or thousands here alone even.

I don’t know why your physical authenticator doesn’t work. Mine does I can tell you that. I’m planning to switch to the digital after the new year when I’ll be upgrading my phone so there is no potential risk of anything going awry between the 2 phones and now and then.

Either way, none of your problems does affect me and you only have yourself to blame. I 100% agree that it could be implemented better, but I find absolutely no fault with Blizzard being more aggressive with “forcing” people to setup and maintain this level of protection for their account. If anything, I wouldn’t be surprised and would fully support them making it a condition even to have an active subscription past the free trial.

Also again, you can make groups with the default text the game gives you and YOU are the one limiting yourself if you only want to play with a certain class/spec. You aren’t being barred from accessing an actual feature of the game which is what you are trying to make it out to be.

Not agreeing with you does not mean one is trolling and like I said prior, I’d actually support Blizzard reversing the mandate but taking a much harsher stance on morons not protecting their account

The best solution, IMO, is for them to offer physical authenticators again. That or just outright ban any sales runs from LFG.

2 Likes

HAHAHAHHA, oh boy, and you think GD is the way to do it?
Let me laugh even harder.
MUUHAHAHAHAHAHHAA.

So… You have a PHYSICAL AUTHENTICATOR. I’m sorry but I’m confused at your complaint now.

Yes, how DARE I try and save money with a cheaper phone plan. I’m glad I’m being punished by Bliz by not being able to make custom games, maybe this will fix me! Thank you daddy bliz!

Real talk though, people like you are why the world is full of road rage and hate. Others’ problems aren’t only 0 concern to you, but you deem them THEIR fault. Yikes, what a trash perspective on life.

6 Likes

you are better off making a ticket vs a thread they wont read

Then that’s on you, since I’ve made it abundantly clear what the issue is in my OP. Nobody has reading skills here, clearly.

2 Likes

Imagine a world where people use third party apps to make groups because blizzard killed their own group finder making things like discord more convenient then it already is for making groups. This the road we’re on. This is where “its not a problem because I can work around it” leads, people will find a jank solution and act like it doesn’t need to be fixed.

1 Like