US and EU Account Data Transfer

I’ve recently moved to the EU from the US. I tried to find guilds / groups to play with considering the timezone changes. Unfortunately, I was largely unsuccessful. I initially contacted customer support to transfer one of my US toons to the EU. I was told, extensively, that this is not possible.

What i want to know is, whether it’s possible for account data to be copied. On the PTR when I do a account data copy, both my EU and US account data is merged on the PTR. Even if this is a paid service, I’d pay $10-$15 to do a transfer.

I guess what I’m asking is; is it possible to transfer my account data between US and EU (or vice versa) either as a paid service, or a “goodness of Blizz’s heart” service like happens on the PTR?

As of now it’s not possible to transfer to/from US/EU. Blizzard doesn’t offer anything of that nature. What you can do is make a post in GD so the devs can see it, or use the ingame suggestion tool. Won’t guarantee a response, but at least they will see it.

6 Likes

Yeah I know they won’t transfer my character. But I want to know if it’s possible to transfer my account data.

Similar to the way account data is transferred on the PTR.

No, we can’t copy a character either.

1 Like

Not possible at this time either. Like characters, accounts are not transferable as of now.

2 Likes

Because of the way the servers are setup. EU and US have different laws, that is at least part of it. There are different EULAs, different currencies even a different agency that controls game ratings.

4 Likes

That is something you need to ask the devs as I have been told there are regional laws involved. Note, the devs do not really frequent the support forums for player feedback or queries.

6 Likes

Again, I use the same account to play on the EU and US. I have two separate licenses. I don’t want to use my US account on the EU.

I want my achievements, mounts and titles to transfer between the accounts.

Example: My US account has achievements/mounts/titles from Vanillia - Legion (up to ToS)
My EU account has achievements/mounts/titles from Legion(Antoris)-BFA.

I just want the achievements/mounts/titles to move between licenses. Just like the PTR does for “copy account data” button.

Yes, we get that’s what you want. It simply cannot be done currently between the NA and EU regions. Perhaps in the future the two regions will share data, but they don’t and can’t currently.

If you’d like to see that in the future, then definitely use the in-game suggestion feature or post over in the General Discussion forums.

10 Likes

That is something Blizzard does NOT offer as of now.

4 Likes

I posted a suggestion.
I’ll post over in the GD forums. That really just feels like a, “no one cares, it’s not happening, go away” response. Because I’ll post in GD, and it will waste away and die because this probably affects like less than 1% of the wow population, which is also probably why no solution exists outside of the PTR.

Appreciate everyone’s time and responses! Hope everyone has a great day!

You would be wrong. Tell that to people waiting for classic. They rallied for Classic servers for 14 years, and look what is happening on the 27th of August. The wheels may be slow, but they still do spin.

9 Likes

Happy for the Classic game launching, I don’t believe that these two situations are on the same level. Classic had a strong underground following on unauthorized servers. This problem probably affects less than 5% of the wow population (totally just speculating, no data to back that up; and 5% might be overstating).

Seems like a real niche or “one-off” issue. Was hoping it was a “Customer server can, but doesn’t advertise” services. Like a they have the power, but it’s a GM discretion choice.

Had help like that when i first started playing with moving a character I started on my wife’s account to my account when I created one.

But i do like your optimism. :wink:

FWIW, when they first allowed EU and NA realms on the same battle.net they announced that account bound info could not be shared across regions.
The stated reason was that the battle.net servers, which were implemented a few years after wow was implemented, were specifically designed to be cross-region. The realm data however, was never designed or given the infrastructure to be used across regions as regions didn’t exist at the time.

5 Likes

I’ve been told that. What I don’t understand, and it could be ignorance on my part, is why that’s true on live server, but not the PTR.

Because when i go to the PTR and I log in all my characters, achievements, mounts, etc… are sitting there in one place. When i click “copy account data” it pulls my account data from all regions to my PTR character.

So it seems as a though its is at least possible for Blizzard to do it, but they are not able or willing to do it on live.

I fully acknowledge I’m providing this perspective as a client end user, and not as an expert on Blizzards internal server infrastructure. (But it still is possible in some fashion, and why won’t they bring it to live???)

edit: edited Nok’s quote, the system didn’t seem allow me to post his quote with the web address in it.

I think it because the EU servers reside in the EU. Hence the regional laws.

1 Like

Regional laws are a HUGE thing, yeah. Probably that, and like Orlyia mentioned, different currencies, even a different game rating agency. Those can have all sorts of effects on the game that we might not even know about.

2 Likes

That is interesting because in general someone brought up many other games that are able to provide data and licensing across multiple regions without issues. Two i can think of off the top of my head are ESO and FFXIV. Both provide multi-region support as a subscription model.

Also, I can easily switch between the EU and US servers on other games such as Overwatch with no loss of non-game enhancing items.

Because those servers are hosted in NA.

4 Likes

Again, not an expert, but doing a quick search shows that FFXIV maintains data centers and servers in each region they provide services (Montreal, Sacramento, CA; Frankfurt, Germany; and Japan).