[Updated for Dragonflight] Munitions - If RSV was to return

• Added a new talent called Inferno in the 8th row.

• Added a new talent called Shocking in the 8th row, along with new paths to avoid having to take nodes for AoE tied to Surging Shot. Making the AoE optional.

[Inferno] - Increases damage dealt by Immolation Trap by 5/10%.

If an enemy that is affected by Explosive Shot, or if you hit an enemy with Cluster Shot within 10 yards of an armed Immolation Trap, this will set off the trap, causing a wave of fire to engulf all nearby enemies within 10 yards of the trap.

[Shocking] - When Surging Shot deals damage through Electrifying Shocks, you have a -/- chance to trigger Lock & Load, granting a free charge of Explosive Shot.

#https://i.imgur.com/lChOVY9.png

3 Likes

Small edit to the OP.

• Moved a part of the effect that was provided by talent: Spitting Cobra, over to talent: Serpent’s Focus instead. The effect that gives Cobra Shot casts a chance to generate double Focus. Talents are located in rows 3 and 4.
    Note: This was done to account for how Serpent’s Focus previously only provided an increase to the Focus generated by each cast of Cobra Shot by 3 per rank(2 total ranks), initially making it fairly expensive in terms of points invested in relation to what it gave.
  • Talent: Noxious Stings have had an adjustment made to its tooltip, to better reflect the intended theme/design.
  • Edit 2022-07-31: Swapped the places of talents: Exotic Munitions/Vespoid Venom.
    Note: This was done due to how Exotic Munitions interacts with various talents in the entire tree, it should be in a key position/intersection node. Vespoid Venom has direct ties with Black Arrow, and as such, it makes sense to have it on a direct downwards path from Black Arrow itself.
1 Like

Im assuming your guys are pretty stoked about playing Sv in classic wrath?

1 Like

Will I at some point go on to make a hunter for WotLK:C? Probably. But honestly, not that much. I want to play retail.

What I want is for the devs to apply the same logic to the case of RSV, as they’ve done with all other classes. Especially considering what they’re doing to classes in Dragonflight, where even more gameplay is now shared between specs. In short, their “excuse” for why it was justified to remove RSV doesn’t hold up. It never did. It should be brought back(to retail) for the players that enjoyed playing it.

4 Likes

If I remember there was an old blue post where they said SV played like a magical version of MM so that is why they made it melee in order to better differentiate the specs. Now I haven’t played RSV in quite some time (and I don’t play classic) so my memory may be off but from what I recall RSV did (at least to me) felt different enough from Marks more than SV is a “magic” version of mm.

9 Likes

I am not that interested in WotLK:classic myself but it would be interesting to join it and see how the old RSV was. Although i think the most popular version of it was in MoP?
But in wrath we get the toolkit and evolution into what is considered the RSV.
According to some people here a majority of Hunters and players will play it and love it, guess we’ll see.

1 Like

As someone who played every iteration of SV, switching from marks to SV won’t feel like night and day, no.
But it’s mostly because they were more or less 2 specs with priority shots and muscle memory didn’t change as you replaced aimed shot with explosive shot and chimaera with black arrow. The damage profile and CDs were different but that’s about it (note that ES damage wont stack in WotLK specifically).

I don’t think bringing back old SV would be very difficult through MM talent options in DF, but it looks like barely anyone is interrested in it.
Now if people want a fully fleshed out ranged SV spec, which I can understand, it would probably need a huge rework and be a 4th spec which I guess is what Ghorak in proposing. And more options never hurt.

2 Likes

Agreed.

That’s kinda the thing. People keep saying that the specs were too similar. And, by today’s standards, sure, RSV would need a lot more than what it had in WoD, in order to fit in with the current paradigm and philosophies. In WoD, we didn’t have spec specific talents, or a huge array of additional perks from prior borrowed powers to rely on to further the design.

But that’s the whole point of all this. To bring that old playstyle up to speed with the current game, and allow for players to get the core of what it was, with additional options to further build on it.

5 Likes

Its the reincarnation of a spec and playstyle you love so much but your not all that in interested in playing it? Very surprising. Are you a pve only player?

1 Like

Have made a calculator tree for the concept seen above. Feel free to check it out.

Download TTM(TalentTreeManager) here: https://github.com/TobiasM95/WoW-Talent-Tree-Manager (Not made by me)

After it’s installed, start it up. Once it is, click on the + to open a new tab. This makes a small pop-up window appear, in which you can choose to import a preset from an existing spec/class, or you can import a custom one. To get the concept above imported, copy-paste this code, all of it, into the custom import box and click ‘Import Tree’.

[code] https://pastebin.com/pxjdj0wx

It worked fine for me, hope it does for anyone else that tries as well. Here’s an image of what it should look like. Note that, like with other calculators, some talents will be desaturated until you “unlock” them.

PS. Don’t mind the scuffed icons. Not all of them are available in the manager, so I had to pick from the ones that were.

5 Likes

I’m just not that interested in replaying WotLK. Again, will I at some point create a hunter to get to play SV on there? Probably.

I would very much want to play it again. In retail…

5 Likes

WotLK is cool but personally I’ve done it before. Also the Hunter class back then is missing a lot of what it gained in the following years like Focus. Ideally we would like to see a version of ranged Survival that’s actively iterated on.

5 Likes

This tree makes me so god damn happy.

Why can’t we have our nice things back?

5 Likes

Wrath has the entirety of RSV’s single target core gameplay loop. It’s missing Serpent Spread, which wasn’t a thing until Cata, but AoE in Wrath for all 3 specs consisted of spamming Volley, which was a 6 second channel at the time, as Multi-Shot still had a 10 second cooldown.

It will feel like the RSV that people remember, except you’ll need to manually multi-dot with Serpent Sting.

1 Like

Having played both recently (pls don’t ban) WotLK SV just doesn’t feel as complete about MoP SV. The focus change benefitted SV particularly well. WotLK SV is definitely ahead of its time but the class still fundamentally feels like an updated classic Hunter especially with mana and immobile auto shot.

Plus the differentiation between specs was really low. WotLK was the first expac that started making the Hunter specs play differently but most of each spec was still shared.

2 Likes

Yep, this.

Hopefully they’ll change their minds on this.

Much of the core was indeed there, back then. Some good things were added later, and sadly, some weren’t.

• Added some new elements to the talent Volatile Concoctions, to make it more useful in single-target scenarios.
  • Changed the tooltip for the talent “Inferno”. To clarify how it’s supposed to work.
    It now reads:

[Inferno] - Increases damage dealt by Immolation Trap by 5/10%.

Whenever an enemy triggers Immolation Trap, or if an enemy that is affected by Explosive Shot is within, or if you hit an enemy with Cluster Shot within 10 yards of an armed Immolation Trap, this will set off the trap, causing a wave of fire to engulf all nearby enemies within 12 yards of the trap.

Targets hit by the wave take instant Fire damage equal to 20/40% of the total effect of Immolation Trap, and another 30/60% over a period of 10 sec.

Note: The change/clarification is the last section, talking about damage dealt with the initial wave + the periodic effect that is applied by it. The intent is that, with a further investment of points, you will be able to much more easily apply Immolation Trap to a target, and more importantly, it will also allow you to do so to multiple targets at once, if they’re close enough. And it will allow the trap to deal its full damage over a shorter period compared to the default, for situations where that could be useful.

• A new path/connection was added from the major CD node Munition Tactics, over to Improved Black Arrow.
  • Also changed the talent node called Munition Tactics: Black Arrow in row 7. It is now a choice node, where a new talent called Soulflay has been added.

Choice node, pick one of the following two talents

[Munition Tactics: Black Arrow] - Any time Explosive Shot deals damage to a target affected by Black Arrow, during Munition Tactics, this will cause the periodic damage effect applied by Black Arrow to spread to nearby enemies as well.

[Soulflay] - Increases the base duration of Black Arrow by 4 sec.

Black Arrow increases all damage you deal to the affected target by 15% while Munition Tactics is active.

1 Like

As the initial rework of this concept was done early on in the development stages of the Dragonflight Alpha, only a few other class/spec trees had been showcased at that point. And thus, we had a fairly limited view of how they would set out to compile their trees, talking tree structure, pathing, restrictions, etc.

With what they’ve implemented since, with new trees coming up, and changes are being made to existing ones, I wanted to compose an alternative layout/structure of this tree as well. Most of the individual talents are the same as with the previous version, although a few changes have been made, such as point reductions, a few adjustments to specific tooltips, and more. Mostly, it’s the general structure that has changed, incl talent positions.

For anyone that’s interested, feel free to compare the two versions and tell me which one you think would be the one to go with. Both versions are available to be viewed in TTM(TalentTreeManager).

Image of the new layout:

2 Likes

Leaning towards the old layout, myself, but only slightly.

1 Like

Sure add it to MM tree so they can choose it between old style shadow dot hunter or sniper hunter. SV tree needs just few tweaks now nut it should stay melee

1 Like

It got kinda late yesterday before I was “done”. I’ve made some adjustments to the new layout, evened out point requirements for nodes in the capstone bracket, and moved some nodes around for accessibility.

Here are links to both the version you looked at yesterday, and the altered one:

If you still prefer the old structure/layout from the initial rework, to the new one, even with the changes made to the new one, I would love to hear why that is the case.

1 Like