Upcoming Changes to the Ashran, Isle of Conquest, and Wintergrasp Epic Battlegrounds

That’s a buff to everyone, if defense is breaking towers assault has lost and we can all move on faster.

• Glaive Thrower health has been increased by 40%.

Gonna need to shorten their range then.

2 Likes

Well if the defense is forced to hide and offence gets access to demo’s/siege that is a boon. If you can’t kill them staling them is just as good.

Not really. Stalling the defense doesn’t really help out the offense like it does the defense.

If you can keep them from getting their tier two vehicles it will mean they can’t as easily destroy your first push. And just keeping them occupied while you have your siege team going on the walls is a good thing. You don’t want the defense knowing where you will first strike so they can repel you instantly. So you want to do everything you can to get tier two kills, keep the defense occupied and away form the keep and get ready for a quick and clean push so you don’t have to try for a second.

Except if they are huddled in SR where you can’t get to them without getting rained on by their cannons and you aren’t getting kills, it’s unlikely you’re going to have any seiges on your team any time soon, and even with a 20% nerf to the walls, a couple of catas are not going to get through the walls.

And this is of course assuming they don’t just leave SR via the north exit where their cannons are raining down and start lobbing barrels at the offense catas, or picking off the odd person standing around with flame throwers and getting their own demos.

neither one is really better than the other. i dunno where Blizz got the ideas to make these changes, its pretty baffling to me. both can be countered with the other two easily. but glaives did not need a buff at all.

That is also assuming that the defense moves as one group and they are the ones doing the picking off. To be honest, I love this bg for the sole reason that the strategies evolve as the fight progress. I could argue this for hours but it really doesn’t matter. No two Wintergrasps are the same and I think the changes are a good start, but one thing I do hope that offense teams do more of is think on their feet.

This is the closest to a real time strategy game and if you want to win on offense you need to be thinking a few steps ahead of the defense, especially since offense feels like they are going to lose going in. There is no one way to win WG, it is just you need to adapt on the fly.

And the only one Alliances wins 2/3’s of the time. The rest are 85% Horde wins.

1 Like

I’m sure it will change some of the starting strats on offense at least, but in the long run, I don’t see these changes making a significant impact on how often offense can win.

Oooo those are interesting changes.

Can you please double the honor cap? 15k is very low.

2 Likes

Would have been nice to fix this before lunar festival was over. I have yet to find a way to get inside the fortress for the final elder. I’ve even gone so far as to have my wife create a toon on a server where the opposite faction held it, invite, try to CRZ in… fail - I’m put on a CRZ where the opposite faction holds the keep. What in the glorious fox is going on here?

Your setup is absolute garbage. I cannot figure out any other way to put it.

Not to mention the battle masters in Dalaran are absolute liars about who holds wintergrasp.

I can already think of a few ways of how to come back after the first fight to be honest with the new changes and auto access to catas. The start still may be hard but they made the long term game much more interesting. (I like working out the offense game plan and might come back to do some games now.)

I mean the main problem is still the HP of the walls. Currently they have like 750k for each section. With the nerf they’re going to have like 600k, or something in that range. The towers have about 130k hp each. Even with the nerf you can just about kill the towers twice over with the amount of damage it takes to break 1 section of wall.

Most matches where I am on offense, my team doesn’t even manage to get a single section of wall down to 50%. So even with the nerf, the defense still has the luxary of pretty much being able to ignore the offensive once they get rank 2, and kill the towers and have plenty of time to come back and defend.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t like these changes. The battles took long enough, this will just increase this and feels like a lazy way to increase time played metrics. It was fine as it was.

5 Likes

The games that I won on offense we kept the defense spread out either at multiple sides of the wall or just hunting down bases to control (and we did a better job of it). If you ever let them keep control of both the keep and three workshops outside consistently it is game over period. In the late game you need to give them a reason to leave the safety of their keep or have all four workshops.

Otherwise it is very easy for them to just push you out before you can even deal a little damage to the walls.

The one match I’ve managed to win was basically where we managed to kill their vehicles with catas for about 10 - 15 minutes and were able to make a large dent in the fortress. Even then we nearly lost. Broke through the final door with less than a minute to spare.

Agree with exception to Wintergrasp offense. Needed a buff and will make battle more even and shorter.

3 Likes

I used to win about 1-2 out of ten offense games and I would try and lead after the first fight if I thought the game was salvageable. But ya you usually in the mid-late game want to try and keep the defense from camping the keep and at the same time from controlling the workshops outside. It is a hard game to play but it is why I like playing offence.