Unpopular WRA Opinions

I also prefer RPing outside the city, but again “stop whining and go somewhere else” isn’t really a helpful of constructive way of responding to harassment or complaints about it.

2 Likes

I will point out that the only reason Death Knights are even allowed in the Alliance and Horde is that the respective High King and Warchief of those eras used their authority to grant those Death Knights a station within the Horde, and in the years that have passed, the Death Knights have either proven their value to the military or have otherwise proven of value to the Alliance in other avenues, but at the same point, their position remains entirely dependant upon the status of the war and their value as elite troops to the current leaders, both of whom have some rather challenging views on Undeath (that the Death Knights are aware of, at least) that means playing up the individual Death Knight’s worth to their faction is even more critical than before.

Demon Hunters are even more tenuous since, as far as I am aware, the Illidari never officially sided with the Factions, we just saw them join under Dalaran’s banner rather than that of the Alliance and Horde and then start unearthing Legion cultists and minions within the Alliance and Horde to prove their own loyalty. No Warchief or High King ever sanctioned them or used their authority to grant them a place in the military, they just kinda … came home with the rest of the veterans after the war.

It’s something I consider whenever I see a Demon Hunter or a Death Knight, how something so many take for granted is a daily threat hanging over their heads. Not only are they damned, despised and shunned, but a single word from their leader could see them exiled at best, at worst being buried under the weight of those they may have come to see as comrades, or even family.

2 Likes

Not to mention that still gives the abusers exactly what they want: complete control over a popular space.

It was, and remains, extremely worthwhile to push back against that kind of abusive behavior. To suggest otherwise ranges from either not truly understanding how abuse works or just plain victim blaming.

4 Likes

It was rough being a Pandaren during that time, I’ll tell ya hwat.

1 Like

Yeah you’re basically letting abusers and bullies control your game time. “Oh some horrible people are harassing me. I guess I better RP somewhere else. Oh they followed me. Guess I better move again.”

It’s not really right, at all.

I’m not sure if it’s really unpopular, but I would like it if Blizzard stopped walling EU and US servers from each other.

FFXIV was really neat and just let you swap on a dime except for Russian and Chinese servers. Want to play on a EU server, sure go ahead, want to play on a US one instead? No problem.

It was amazing.

2 Likes

Walling people off from each other is basically Blizzard’s entire business strategy atm lol

2 Likes

Hope intensifies :sob:

1 Like

They’re N’zothing us. If we focus on fighting each other, maybe we’ll forget how evil they are lol

1 Like

Yeah dude, I don’t want to put words in your mouth but this reads as “they should have stopped whining and left”.

If thats not what your saying you should really clarify, cause trying to categorize real actual grievances with OOC harassment as “complaining” is a pretty glaring red flag.

5 Likes

What he probably means is that, during the Siege, Orgrimmar was not business as usual, and treating it like it should have been was wrong.

SoO was like a plague event in SW but unlike in those cases it was canon and so opting out doesn’t make a lot of sense. People would complain about the harassment of their characters by Orc goons. Well, to be fair, they’re in a militarized city under Siege where rebels and deviants are being imprisoned or executed left and right. Complaining about the setting when removing oneself from it is a valid option, and probably the most likely IC scenario for non combatants who hang out at the Tail, seems a little silly. You wouldn’t expect the Alliance to accept Trolls RPing in Stormwind, and anyone saying they had a right to be there because of RP reasons may not be cut so much slack. Not a perfect comparison, but I’m not citing it to discuss the nuance. Enemies in a hostile zone can expect to be harassed or killed.

I don’t think what Mato was saying was that the players who took things too far are justified in what they did. Consent is important in roleplay. But… if you chose to have your character hang out, accept that things were hostiles, and maybe even instigate some action, you can’t reasonably expect that there wouldn’t be consequences for that. And complaints up that alley did exist.

Most of what is focused on nowadays and the reason for SoO as being viewed as a tumultuous time is because there were people who didn’t do anything and asked to be left alone and didn’t contribute to any conflict, and were then harassed IC and OOC when the abusers didn’t get an IC reaction. These people, the innocents, and the ones who cried wolf, are different.

But, that’s just what I think.

6 Likes

I wonder if we’re affording them a special status that’s no longer relevant. When Death Knights join the Alliance for example, they’re not told to be kept separate. They’re to be treated like “any other ally of Stormwind.”

Sure, they’re at risk of their leader pulling the plug - a command from a national leader could leave them totally cut off and isolated. But is that unique? We’ve only recently seen it happen to void users in Quel’thalas. That’s, in theory, a whole bunch of shadow priests and even some warlocks who’ve been Thalassian citizens for some time.

I accept that DKs and DHs are socially shunned. That just makes sense. But it’s a bit of a headcanon - we’ve seen no evidence that DKs have no right to property, for instance. It’s a fairly reasoned argument, that their property was likely divided upon their death, but it’s a stretch to call it hard and fast lore and imply they’ve got no legal leg to stand on. Both Demon Hunters and Death Knights seem to be equally treated as trusted champions of the Alliance, not simply tools with no legal rights.

1 Like

While you’re correct, peoples’ complaints were less about Orgrimmar being a hostile place and more about all the bigoted OOC behavior and personal/sexual/societal harassment going on that waaaaay overstepped it.

Kor’kron RP had a lot of opportunity and the Kor’kron killed it.

7 Likes

Yeah I’m not defending any of that at all.

3 Likes

Hey Topsail it’s Mozkra. Haven’t seen you online in a while but I hope ur doing swell lad.

1 Like

It’s a tricky subject. There was a lot of opportunity going on, you’re correct about that. And Kor’kron abusers eventually did cloud all of that. But honestly, we as a community should have pushed back harder against it.

In the fight against bad actions, we’re each other’s best weapon.

2 Likes

I personally say that ‘X Gonna Give it to Ya’ should play whenever a Draenei, Nelf, Worgen or Belf are laying the smack down on Orcs, Humans and Forsaken.

Not sure that’s unpopular though.

1 Like

I was pretty young but I ended up not hanging in Orgrimmar much by the end of the expansion because I played a blood elf which was probably the worst thing ever to those freaks.

I couldn’t take two steps without one of them “detaining” me, and god forbid you ignored them or said OOC you weren’t interested in RPing with them. Then the avalanche of text came. Usually in whispers, sometimes in /s. “You’re godmoding, you’re bad for the community, you’re ignoring lore, lul look at this idiot nobody RP with them”.

Hell, once I actually watched three Kor’kron RPers fight over who was gonna get to ICly stop and harass me. They literally ran too low on victims, and had to fight over me.

3 Likes

No, that actually wasn’t the worst thing for them.

The second worst was playing a Pandaren since they were usually those types of people.

Worse thing was losing a 1v1 to said Pandaren.

1 Like

They hated pandaren because they were usually intelligent, empathetic, peace-seeking people. Which was “totally gay”.

They hated blood elves because they… I dunno, showered and wore robes. Which was also “totally gay”.

2 Likes