Unofficial Night Elf Worgen Discussion Thread

Agreed, would love to see Night Elf Worgen implemented. Many people will say it’s a waste of an Allied Race, but at that point I could argue half of them have been a waste. I mean this could be an Allied Race that easily coincides with the retaking of Gilneas as a scenario for the Worgen heritage armor or something.

1 Like

IMO if they do something like this they should include most of the original night-elf/pre cata night elf classes, I can see monks working or literally anything working that can be a night elf though if I think about it. They don’t necessarily have to be scythe/pack druids originally given the Curse was spread via bite and it could’ve affected a various number of elves, mages hunters priests etc.

The druids would obviously definitely end up as pack druids though because of the wolf-form and all that imo

2 Likes

So with the dev comment recently that the little quest reward items from Island Expeditions could be hinting at upcoming storylines/quests and such.

Anyone had any thoughts to the Druidic Fur item leading into some story involving the Druids of the Pack and maybe some sort of allied race or customization options for Night Elf Druids?

crosses fingers

1 Like

Its actually just primal druids based on the fan theory of orc druids in gorgrond being a possibility, i’ve gotten it 4 times across my alts (yea i know its really annoying to get more then 1 quest item there) and thats basically just it sadly.

It only shows up in Verdant Wilds during a feral druid mob is present, the Feral Worgen are those that come to the island after a few minutes.

I was going a bit off the quest turn in text as he specifically references pack form.

" This fur… has not seem a change in form in quite some time.

You encountered my kin gone feral, I surmise? That… makes sense.

Following the [War of the Satyr], there were those among us(Druids_of_the_Scythe) that thought that the Pack(Pack_form) was the only true way. That we were, at our core, wild creatures, and our humanoid forms are merely a guise.

As a flock they took wing and left us, never to be heard from again. Until now.

I thank you for this information, here is some [Azerite] I have collected for the Speaker."

Seemed like maybe it could be related.

1 Like

Make Botani an Alliance allied race.

There are a few things I think are great about this option:

1. It’s really cool to be recruiting a group whose fundamental purpose, at least at the onset, is to be utilized like a weapon against a foe; it pairs well with the mindset of the Night Elves at the moment.

2. The thought of having enormous Worgen is very exciting. Though, not as exciting as potentially being able to interact with Worgen NPC’s who don’t have the option to pester me with, “get gabbin’, or get goin’!”.

3. It gives the Alliance another option to play Druids, bringing the option count of both factions back into parity.

There is one thing that doesn’t translate into hype, for me, though:

It seems somewhat boring that the bulk of their uniqueness would simply be a blue-, purple-, or pink-ified skin/fur pigmentation. I think that a much more visually appealing option would be for their skin/fur pigmentation to have been radically affected by their thousands of years inside the Emerald Dream, displaying as various bioluminescence colors.

I imagine something like these:

https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/539813.jpg
https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/539861.jpg
https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/539862.jpg

This idea is really cool, and the proposal is written in a way that’s easy to get through. Nicely done! The lore is pretty solid from what little I know of these creatures. Nothing stands out as unreasonable.

I only really have one main issue:

Drawing attention and possibly resources from the Gilnean worgen who…really sorely need better models, among other things. It might be a non-issue, I’m not heavily invested one way or another, but it’s something I’m vaguely aware of.

1 Like

I’d doubt these would be an option until those models are finished. It’s it 8.2 they’re slated for? I would think those worgen models would be the base and then additional tweaking and customization for the NE version.

With the way the Night Elf story has been going, I can completely see them being brought back in. It’s always been why I figured Tyrande has been sitting in the Embassy as well. Not sure who else she’d have a tie to and want to recruit.

1 Like

If they didn’t go for the glowing hands and antlers and such for customization options (I don’t think I’d use antlers), that art piece floating around would actually make a great balance/“moonkin” form. Use the worgen form as base, and give it a bunch of accents of other creatures in the same manner as Malfurion. Could even give it feathers along the arms, maybe some talons instead of feet. Then it still has the worgen/wolf form at it’s core.

Flight form could be a wolfhawk like the hunter mount.

Travel form could just be a large wolf like the mounts so that someone can ride…or you could roll flight form and mount form into one as the wolfhawk.

Guardian form does need to be a large dire wolf.

Feral definitely needs to be a smaller agile wolf as well.

I wouldn’t even mind seeing some of these changes making their way back to the gilneans as well. Or is it better that their forms are more of a blend of wolf and OG night elven forms?

I’d love this though, I’d race change my druid pretty quick if I didn’t just make a new one instead.

I had been wondering what the explanation as to why not all were druids but they’d still be worgen…even after reading it last night in the Chronicle book it didn’t click. The curse spread while in battle…so yeah it makes sense they’d not all be druids.

3 Likes

Children of Goldrinn works…could call them Gol’dorei as an elven name shrugs

So, would they be larger than regular Gilnean?
Like the humans get bigger…would we do a measurement and get the ratio and make the elves that much bigger while in worgen form? Would help visually set them apart a bit.

knew I’d seen it somewhere…seconded.

I have noticed on my shaman that when standing next to a cat form druid, the animations are very close if not the same. So slapping a wolf on top of the cat animation rig seems very doable, especially since the KT feral form has some definite wolf features.

Also, dunno if it’s been mentioned here in this thread but with Island Expedition quests being possible future story hints, there is one that involves feral druidic worgen that you deliver back to a fella in Moonglade.
…oh, reading on further, I did mention it a while back =D

As stated, it also makes a lot of sense with the way story/war is going.

3 Likes

I suspect the new Gilnean Worgen model and what ever related Allied Race Worgen get are being worked on concurrently. It makes sense to me that the Worgen Allied Race was the catalyst to the Worgen model update. It would be a shame to have brand new NElf Worgen or Dark Worgen or Nightmare Worgen with shiny 2019 models and the old Worgens having models from 2010 and human models from 2016. I think the same holds true for Goblins, meaning we’ll likely see a Gilblin Allied race soon.

3 Likes

Agreed. Makes sense to be updating the original if you’re planning to use it elsewhere.

In reference to the Kaldorei Worgen, I do believe they referred to themselves as “Druids of the Scythe” in the lore. That title’s as good as anything, and it’s already a thing.

I really can’t support this more than a customization option. Night Elf Worgen canonically look like normal Worgen from Gilneas. Giving them tattoos and such doesn’t really make sense for a new allied race, and retconning that would be a rather odd choice just to shoehorn Night Elf Worgen in (Though, hey, they did kind of do something similar with Void Elves).

Now you could say “Well, all Mag’har Orcs are is brown orcs with some differing flavors, and Lightforged Draenei are just glowy Draenei, and Highmountain Tauren are just moose Tauren.”

And I’d agree with you wholeheartedly. Respectfully, Mag’har Orcs, Highmountain Tauren, and Lightforged Draenei are stupid allied races and should have simply been customization options (Though I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy playing as a Mag’har Orc).

I honestly see Night Elf Worgen as an allied race a waste of an allied race slot. Like Mag’har Orcs, Lightforged Draenei, and Highmountain Tauren, they should be a customization option and nothing else.

1 Like

Perhaps so. Though, an “allied race” seems to be, so far, a “sub-race”. Something that doesn’t need any new skeletons or animations, and (in most cases) already has lore behind it.

Now Kaldorei Worgen, you’re right. They look just like Gilnean Worgen, in their worgen form. There are, however, other aspects that could be altered, moreso than simple Barber Shop customization.

• Two Forms: Turn into a Kaldorei, rather than a human.
  • Druid Forms: Savage forms, but without Gilnean logos. Possible pack form.
  • Scars: Like Alpha Prime, face and body scars, and illidari-like tattoo options.
  • Voice Lines: Far more feral, dramatic, and vengeful voice lines.
  • Language: Able to speak Common and Darnassian

I doubt it’ll happen. Besides that, it’s a lore stretch just to make it work. But I for one am a fan of that field of the lore, so I don’t mind the idea, and it’s certainly fun to think about. But I’m 96% sure Kaldorei Worgen aren’t going to happen.

But then again… I was 96% sure new worgen models weren’t gonna happen. And here we are.

2 Likes

True, and I’m not saying an option to be a Night Elf Worgen wouldn’t be cool, I just think it’d be an odd choice to have basically a customization option be an allied race.

Who knows, like I hammered in my last post, Highmountain Tauren, Mag’har, and Lightforged are near carbon copies of their original races that add little to what the original races already were. I’d just like to see something that’s a bit more unique.

Maybe my main gripe is just that WoW needs more customizability lol.

3 Likes

Doesn’t fit for the allied race though as they’re not all druids. You’d have the original druids as well as all of the sentinels, rangers/hunters, etc that they infected when the curse spread. So a rebranding that’s more encompassing of them all makes sense.

Plus something like that fits the current naming convention that all elves use for their names being children/born(e) - dorei. So something like Gol’dorei makes a lot of sense.

It’s not like there’s a limited number of slots. They’re just adding things that make sense and possibly what players are asking for.
This is something that’d be fairly easy for them to add for the reasons you’ve stated. It’s mostly cosmetic and flavoring like some of the other allied races.

I’d make them a little larger since the NE are taller as well.
More fur colors could be a good option as well hinting at NE hair colors perhaps?

This does need to fully embrace the wolf idea with guardian Dire Wolf and a feral wolf form as well. I like the idea of the wolfhawk for flight form as well.

I don’t see why it’s a lore stretch. They’re currently sleeping in a barrow somewhere, we just need someone to go wake them up. It’s not like the Night Elves are being led by someone who has resorted to freeing a dangerous weapon that was imprisoned for a very long time when things got rough for her race… :smiley:
That same leader has been sitting in the Embassy for a reason.

I’m sure we will get something a bit more unique eventually. I’m hoping we’ll go to another all new world in an expansion.

There’s still a lot of races that need to be made playable though. I fully support that happening as well. Variety and diversity is good =]

I do agree with the customization.
They should hire a small team that does nothing but further expand customizable features for all of the races.

1 Like

A very fair point. Though, assuming we’re talking about the kaldorei that willingly became worgen following Alpha Prime, I doubt they’d be satisfied with “Wolf’dorei” etc. They were rather proud that they weren’t Kaldorei anymore, even going so far as to call themselves “The Pure Ones”. But that’s rather bold… so perhaps simply “Kaldorei Worgen” would be best. Rather than making something up, or using one of their original names. Plus, it fits the naming theme of the other allied-races.

Perhaps. But the Bloodfang and Nightbane are full of Kaldorei Worgen, and they don’t seem taller. And Alpha Prime in the comics didn’t seem much taller than Halford Ramsey. But that’s possible.

Oh, have you seen Alton Redding in Felwood? He has Kaldorei druid leather armor, does not mention or wear anything Gilnean, and has far longer ears than are even available in the character options. Alpha Prime has short wolf ears in the comics, but Alton Redding sure is interesting to look at.

Kaldorei Worgen are a slight lore stretch for several reasons. Reasons I’m alright with, but to be recognized nonetheless.

1. They hate Malfurion. The whole origin story of the Kaldorei Worgen revolves around rebelling against Malfurion’s laws on druidism. It was Malfurion that banned the Wolf Form’s use, Malfurion that called them abominations, and Malfurion that trapped them in the dream. Imprisonment later revealed to be unending torture. In short, they no like Malfurion. We could say “well what if it’s just the sentinels that got bit”, but then what fun is that? Plus there’s still the torture bit. Even if it was a bitten sentinel, I imagine they’d feel rather betrayed that Malfurion looped them in with the rebel druids and banished them to eternal torment for thousands of years.

2. Pack Form. The wolf-shaped druid form is still a topic of debate. Some think pack form and worgen form are the same thing. Some think pack form is impossible now. Some think worgen can’t use pack form. In reality, both a Satyr in Feralus and a worgen in Northrend use wolf form, and it is only not used by druids because it is STILL banned (presumably on pain of death) by Malfurion Stormrage. Not only would the Pack Form have to be much better explained in a questline, but it would also have to adress Malfurion’s opinions on the matter. Has he changed his mind? Is he sorry? Or will they be shunned and kept on a short leash like the Illidari?

3. Where do they come from? Are there enough left in the dream? They’ve already been summoned in Gilneas, Duskwood, Felwood, possibly Northrend, as well as escaped in Val’sharah, an Island, and who knows where else. Are there any left in the dream at this point? And even so, why not just reach out to the Kaldorei Worgen already running around?

Perhaps not a “stretch” per se, but definately stuff that I’d prefer to be adequately adressed if introduced as an allied race.

I’ll have to check him out, I’m wanting to level a character through there, don’t think I’ve done it since they changed it in Cata.

I need to find and read the comic =D

So they’re a bunch of Illidans? lol

Maybe Malfurion needs to go :stuck_out_tongue: haha
I kinda like him though. Maybe he could change some of his stance at the behest of his wife.

Questlines explaining everything are fine by me, I quite like them.

That’s entirely possible since the Island Expedition quests can point at future content and there’s one regarding feral night elf worgen.

Oh yeah, I’d expect a bit of story to introduce the idea and such. Hopefully a lot more than Void Elves got =P

1 Like