Unoffical Playable Saberon Discussion Thread

I’d bet that will remain unique but it would be entertaining to see them give that to the Saberon Hordeside so they can have a race with something like that…

Like I wouldn’t be against that at all.

5 Likes

Running Wild could work for Saberon, but I don’t know how fitting it would be. Part of me feels that felines have a bit of grace when running, which I’m sure could be debatable, and Running Wild strikes me as something more chaotic in its movements, which is something fitting werewolves.

Although, some kind of speed increase racial could be fitting, though I don’t know if it would be something akin to Running Wild or if it would be a skill to dash for a few seconds. Come to think of it, some racial ideas in general would make for a good discussion. I’ll have to think on it for a bit to see if I can come up with anything.

I’m sure there could be a lot of possibilities in that regard! :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

4 Likes

Well, they aren’t felines, per se, they are sabertooth cat-like humanoids that share the same beastly body type as worgen. They actually had the same Running Wild animation as worgen when the Claws of Shirvalla was a thing. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I think Saberon should get something a little different than running wild. Something more catlike, imagine how a cheetah moves.

4 Likes

I’m not against Saberon getting some form of running wild, to be clear. I do think a lot would depend on whether playable Saberon utilize the Worgen model/skeleton or not, however.

Something I did think about was that there are different Saberon based on different RL feline and whether having slightly different racials based on your type of Saberon could work, somewhat similar to Zandalari.

Obviously, this would require some thinking and balancing, but suppose you had a cheetah Saberon with faster movement speed, tiger Saberon with a higher crit chance, Panther Saberon with a better stealth, snow leopard Saberon with a resistance to cold, and so on. This is along the lines of what I would be thinking in terms of a potential racial.

As I said, it needs fleshing out to act as a better suggestion, but it’s a cool world-building thing that would be neat to see implemented depending on what type of Saberon you choose. :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

5 Likes

God, I love this idea for a racial. A bonus for fishing would serve as a nice racial, though I tend to prefer the idea I had for one relating to fall damage. Saberon could take diminished fall damage and only take damage from falling from a certain distance. Essentially, the threshold would be above all the other races, but not ridiculous.

3 Likes

I’m sure something could be done with that, since Pandaren have a similar racial:

It would be different enough to be able to give Saberon the type of racial you mentioned, as well as be very fitting for them in general. :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

3 Likes

I don’t know why they chose that racial for humanoid pandas. They’re not the most graceful animals.

1 Like

I’m assuming it’s a reference to the Gummi Bears cartoon show, where they wound drink gummiberry juice which allows them to bounce like rubber.

The difference between the Bouncy racial and something for Saberon is that Saberon would likely have no fall damage for a longer distance than other races. Obviously, they could still go splat and become a cat pancake if they fell too far, but they would be able to fall from higher distances with no damage.

I believe this type of racial was given to Vah Shir in Everquest 1 and Kerra in Everquest 2. I’ll have to look at both races sometime to gain some Saberon ideas. :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

2 Likes

No body is totally immune to fall damage after all. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

When it comes to fantasy races based on RL animals, something I like to do is to look at facts of the RL animals for idea inspiration. I’m likely going to gradually look at different types of feline animals and see if we can think of some neat ideas for playable Saberon, be it customization options or racials.

I’m gonna look at tigers for this post, starting with this facts video on them:

Fact #4 is about tigers having a paralyzing roar, which is a neat racial idea in general. Lore has something similar listed on the racials section of the main post of this megathread, and it makes for a neat racial for Saberon, IMO.

There is also the idea that Saberon could be sneaky and patient hunters, where they could wait in hiding for long periods of time before pouncing. I feel like a stealth bonus of some sort would be pretty neat to see, though I don’t know how well that would work for balancing purposes.

Another interesting fact is that tigers can imitate the sounds of other animals. It’s an interesting tactic to think about Saberon having when they hunt, whether it’s imitating animals for hunting or enemies of the other faction to attack. Something to think about for Saberon culture.

There likely is more to tigers, so I’ll look more into them. I also will be continuing to look at other feline animals for playable Saberon idea inspiration! :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

5 Likes

I freakin’ love these ideas! They’d make purrrfect racials for our feline friends if they were ever made playable.

4 Likes

When it comes to animal-based races, aside from looking at RL animals for idea inspiration, I also look at what other MMO’s or media do with their own version of that animal-race. In the case of Saberon, I look at other feline races.

I actually didn’t know this, but Everquest 2 made the Vah Shir playable in an expansion several months ago. This was surprising to me since Everquest 2 had playable Kerra, who I thought were replacing them since Luclin, the moon the Vah Shir resided on (they landed there when the land they lived on was accidently sent flying to the moon from an accidental magical blast thanks to a civil war of a race called the Erudites) blew up at the beginning of Everquest 2…then again, an expansion let you visit it, so I guess that could explain it.

I’ll take a look at the Everquest 1 version of the Vah Shir and also Everquest 2’s Kerra, but since this is a fairly recent addtion to the game, I thought I’d look at the Everquest 2 version first for Saberon idea inspiration.

You can see a list of racials on this wiki page for them:

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Vah_Shir_(Character_Race)

And this YouTube video shows off the customization options for female and male Vah Shir:

Something that is interesting is a pounce ability. The idea of seeing a Saberon pounce on enemies to stun them sounds both awesome and amusing.

The way I see it, if Everquest 2 can get more than one playable feline race, then I don’t see why we can’t get one for WoW. I’m sure Saberon can offer some really cool features if given some love and care! :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

3 Likes

A beast man the size of a saberon would break the backs of most smaller races just by pouncing. But I agree it’d be an amusing racial for them. Yeah, Saberon have a huge amount of potential if Blizzard would implement them and give them the care they deserve instead of just picking the low hanging fruit so to speak.

3 Likes

Well, cats are generally good at climbing trees, walls and jumping over obstacles.
Could Saberons be, perhaps, the first race that could actually climb?
I would like something along those lines.

3 Likes

Climbing really depends on the game’s engine whether it would be possible and how it would be utilized. I don’t really see a lot of current areas revamped so you can climb trees or walls, as fun as that sounds. Otherwise, it would be a really neat racial to have for Saberon, as well as Saurok since they’re also known for climbing stuff. If anything, maybe there would be spots here and there for Saberon players to click and act as a shortcut for them as opposed to something more free, like in Breath of the Wild.

When I played Star Trek Online, one of my crewmembers was a Caitian, a Cat Man race. They have a racial to pounce on things as an attack, and when I have to destroy things like consoles for a mission, he would proceed to hurl himself forward and pounce on the console instead of pulling out his phaser and shooting it. It was amusing to take him on missions as a result, especially when he’d pounce on enemies.

The pounce ability in that game launches the Caitian forward, does melee damage, and has a chance of knocking down enemies, stunning them briefly. Having the image of a Saberon pouncing on stuff while the party members just stare in confusion is a pretty amusing sight. :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

4 Likes

He is his own weapon, he don’t need no stinkin’ phaser!

2 Likes

Exploring Azeroth: Kalimdor is suppose to come out tomorrow, which involves Zekhan (Zappy Boy) and Rexxar traveling across Kalimdor and writing down their journey and findings.

Some potential Saberon interest could come from the book, since we know some did escape into the Barrens during the Mag’har Orc unlock scenario along with Botani. However, I don’t know what the chances are of that being remembered when the book was being written. Still, it’ll be worth a look to see if they are mentioned at all in some form.

If you want more information on the book and some sample pages, you can see more here:

My copy doesn’t have an ETA, unfortunately, but whenever it arrives, I’ll be sure to report if there is anything of Saberon interest in it. :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

2 Likes

We’d all greatly appreciate this~

3 Likes

As it turns out, Exploring Azeroth: Kalimdor’s release date was pushed back until December 7th. I really wish they had shown this before I made all those posts in the different megathreads. Go figure. -o -

Well, on a brighter note, with Hallows End having begun in WoW and with Halloween coming up, I figured I’d share some cat-related Halloween treats for fun:

You likely can take some of these recipes and make them more Saberon-themed in some way. Maybe someday, we can show Saberon Hallows End stuff and they can participate in the festivities! :cut_of_meat::tiger2:

4 Likes