Unlearn/Relearn Profession!

Good afternoon!

I’ve been contemplating unlearning either herbalism or alchemy for Enchanting, Disenchanting everything I’ve collected this month, then relearning the profession I forgot and using one of those tomes to relearn everything.

Would I automatically relearn all my rank 3 recipies, or would I have to go through all the motions again?

Thanks in advance!

Those tomes don’t let you relearn “everything”. They only teach you recipes that you acquired from questing, because you can’t do those quests again to get the recipes back. Anything you can learn again in the normal way, you will have to learn again just like you did the first time.

Also, those tomes are expansion specific, and not all expansions have them. For crafting professions like Alchemy, it’s possible you may lose some old recipes that are no longer obtainable in the game & not be able to get them back.

8 Likes

I’ll weigh the pros and cons and compare gold income from disenchanting to gold savings from double duration flasks then. Perhaps more permanency would be ideal here.

Thank you!

I have dropped herbalism a couple times this expansion to temporarily pick up enchanting. Buying the BfA tome will let you relearn all of the Kul’tiran Herbalism ranks you have learned so far, though you will restart with at 1/150 Kul’Tiran Herbalism. I have not seen any downsides so far, though you need to ensure you will make enough from the DE profits to cover the cost of the tome.

I only started herbalism in BfA, and I don’t really waste time in older content, so dropping and relearning herbalism was not a big deal for me. However, you will also lose any Legion ranks you have learned unless you also buy the Legion Herbalism Tome. And all of your herbalism skills for older content will remaining at zero until you level them. This will prevent you from completing the DMF profession quest until your vanilla herbalism skill is at least 100 (?) again.

1 Like

Did your bfa/legion herb skills start at rank 3 or rank 1 after relearning?

I trained BfA Herbalism, so 1/150, also trained all the Rank 1 abilities the first time, which I don’t think is needed. Then I bought / read the book, re-learning the rank 2 and rank 3 abilities for all of the BfA herbs. Never tried the relearning Legion ranks.

I learned the hard way that you cannot relearn your ranks on crafting professions in BFA only gathering professions.

4 Likes

Where do the tomes come from? Specifically tailoring. I can’t seem to locate it, not on the trainer in Z anyways.

I’m pretty sure the tomes are restricted to gathering professions.

Tome for relearning Broken Isles Tailoring is sold by the vendor in Legion Dalaran. Their is no tome for re-learning BfA Tailoring as their are no non-repeatable quests that require the tome to re-learn the profession.

The tomes are not intended for players to freely swap professions on a whim. They are only intended to re-learn patterns in Legion and BfA that were locked behind a non-repeatable quest, that would otherwise be lost for all time to the player without the tome.

2 Likes

As a developer, a note to WOW developers…any restrictions on features that are disliked by “gamers”, “customers” cause these to go elsewhere for their fun. The job of a developer is to keep customers not alienate them. The restriction on changing professions is an unnecessary restriction that lowers the fun factor for players. I will stand corrected if any positive effect on the game from this restriction can be shown.

14 Likes

If there were no restrictions or negative consequences to changing professions, everybody would level up all the professions on their main & just switch between them at will. No one would bother buying crafted items from anybody when they could do it all themselves.

And as for the whole “I’m a developer” claim, big deal. I’m a professional developer, too, or was until I retired a few years ago (only do it for fun these days), but I never worked on games (I mostly wrote embedded software). Knowing how to write programs doesn’t teach you squat about making a good game if you weren’t actually a game developer.

Off-topic but how does this thread have 42k views and only 12 comments?

2 Likes

Be careful dropping professions. I thought I could relearn all recipes, so I dropped Skinning/Leatherworking for Herbalism/Alchemy. I didn’t care for it, dropped them, picked up Mining/Engineering. I played around with that for awhile, then decided I wanted my Hunter to be Skinning/Leatherworking again. I was able to level 3 recipes, but that’s it. I had to level up the profession all over again and visit vendors for recipes I wanted to have.

I will never drop Alchemy on my Druid. She knows potions that are no longer part of the game, so I’d never be able to recover them.

1 Like

Hi I dropped Herbalism but can’t learn Tailoring from any of the Apprentice Tailors – what gives? I have only 1 profession now but can’t learn a second…

This thread has only 14 comments but 70.1k views likely because this thread shows up as one of the top results when someone Googles a query such as “can you relearn all the recipes you lose after dropping a profession in WoW?”. That’s how I came across it, and I’m quite sure that’s why the view number is so high (and yet comments are low).

1 Like

If anyone is planning on dropping a Profession to pick another and swap back and one of the professions you currently have is a Gatehring Professions it will always be easier/better to drop the Gatehring Profession since they dont have learned spells except for mineing which has smelting patterns but the ones I have come across as non trainer learned patterns are 2 from Vanilla content and are so easy to get back that all 3 gathering professions can be dropped for another like Enchanting to do stuff and later swapped back with out any issues IMO.