Un'Goro Crater Race is IMPOSSIBLE

I can’t be the only person who has done a ton of attempts on Un’Goro Crater Circuit trying to get Advanced and Reverse gold but can’t, I like to think that this race is actually impossible to do, the closest I’ve gotten on both is a little over a second from gold for both. Am I just bad, or is this actually just impossible?

1 Like

Do you use surge forward?

4 Likes

edit: after only what felt like 1000 attempts I finally beat that cancerous garbage. And yes, I only was using surge forward.

Having not seen this specific race, finding a good spot to use Skyward Ascent can make up for tons of time in many races.

4 Likes

How does that work? Doesn’t that take you off course?

Not when used during a portion where you’d need to angle upwards anyways. It gives you height, and speed for a single vigor, and more than what Surge Forward gives when aiming upwards. But you don’t have to follow the entire height amount through - you can simply bring the angle down as you ascend to hit a mark, level out correctly, etc.

6 Likes

After 1000 tries or so myself (lol), I did beat Advanced Gold too, it is a little odd that the reverse goal is 92 secs and advanced gold is 90; anyway what I noticed was that I wasn’t getting all of the green vigor orbs when I would skyward ascent through some of the rings, or just in general if I was not accurate with those rings. I mostly used surge forward unless skyward ascent was clearly better. I agree though, these races in particular are frustrating, especially since they’re so long!

EDIT: Oh, and clipping the edges of rings rather than go through the center unless they had a vigor orb.

Uldum Reverse and AQ Reverse were the only ones that gave me any trouble. The majority of the Zaralek races are harder than Kalimdor’s, but that’s a nice change since they’re still more challenging than what Forbidden Reach launched with and Zaralek’s races did not feel great with how stingy they were on vigor orbs.

this race is a nightmare to get gold advanced

Idk I found them all pretty easy and got my Mog super quick (World first but not bragging just sharing my experience)

1 Like

Did it with only surge forward, the trick is to slow roll your surges after the first 2 until after the bones and then just stagger them a little so you can hold momentum throughout the last two thirds of the track.

By aiming upwards when you use ascent and quickly flicking to your desired direction, you get similar levels of speed to whirl for significantly less vigor cost, to the point that you can sustain relatively large amounts of speed constantly. It makes dragonriding insanely fast, and is definitely worth practicing. It took me a couple hours (total, non-consecutively) to get used to while flying to dungeons, but I’d say it’s worth all the trees I slammed into.
It can be a bit inconvenient and uncontrollable sometimes, though, in smaller areas or if you need to make constant turns.

1 Like

No one should be using Whirling Surge in races anyways, and it’s been disabled for use in the Isles races since at least patch 10.1.0 (though for whatever reason they forgot to do this for the Kalimdor races).

By far the primary advantage of Skyward Ascent with the technique mentioned is that it allows gaining altitude while maintaining Thrill of the Skies (vigor regen) throughout the ascent (roughly 1.5 seconds). Attempting to ascend at too steep a degree with Surge Forward becomes inefficient if your Surges are only barely maintaining Thrill. On level straightaways, Surge is still mildly better than Ascent because they both can reach the same “over-max” speed (somewhere in the 1400% range) but Surge has zero time spent ascending.

Ultimately to race efficiently, you incorporate both and learn where in the track using Ascent yields better efficiency.

2 Likes

I keep just missing gold by less than a second and I am going so feral.

7 Likes

Congrats but curios, how do you know you were world first?

I mean, zero other people here have it so deductive reasoning or something like that…

Plenty of other people have it, not sure if you mean noone else in this thread? Just because you searched 10 armories doesn’t mean you’re first hate to burst the bubble.

3 Likes

Ty for reminding this exists I just ported to uldum and ready to go

2 Likes

Show me one then :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

LOL, I am just getting worse and worse at this race. Advanced I got 92.6 the first try, 10 tries in and I am at 93.8. I’ll just get silver and not try for the golds XD

3 Likes