Unarmored Mounts Decision Feedback

Just a humble request from someone who really wants the original Nightsaber mount.

So it came to my attention that they addressed two vanilla mounts that were only available for a short time in vanilla before they were replaced with other epic mounts and unobtainable. We have the Ancient Frostsaber (https://wow.gamepedia.com/Reins_of_the_Ancient_Frostsaber) and the Nightsaber (https://wow.gamepedia.com/Reins_of_the_Nightsaber), and probably the horde variants, but I don’t know anything about them.

So according to WoWhead, there was a question of whether or not these would be available once more. However, Blizz decided against it so that players apparently don’t feel rushed to level.

" We know a lot going into the six-phase plan now, and the decision on progressive itemization cleared a lot of remaining topics up. Is there any content that’s a grey area you’d like to clarify? For example, can you get old-school mounts up until a certain phase? Or will Classic WoW only have the current vendor exalted mounts.

It is the current vendor mounts for 1.12. We aren’t putting back the unarmored mounts. We just talked about this recently internally. We know some people are interested in them, but we don’t want to put them in for a limited period of time, because we didn’t want to influence people through their first leveling experience. Especially people coming back for the first time. We don’t want people to feel like they have to rush. If you want to level slowly and enjoy the journey, you should. That’s how I like to play–taking it slow, running every dungeon."

Here’s my feedback. Don’t make it a limited time thing then. Instead of deciding not to add them at all, bring them back for a long time and let everyone get a chance at them, especially since this won’t affect retail. Put them in there with the mounts that replaced them at the same time. It will let players who never got a chance at them the opportunity to go back and fufill their desire and help with the regret.

Please? Pretty please?

25 Likes

Would you settle for a Winterspring Frostsaber?

1 Like

they use the pre 1.12 mounts, but we can’t get the pre 1.12 battle grounds? cross realm battlegrounds were put in the same patch. get rid of them. they are a mechanic added for arenas that jsut came one patch early. they don’t belong in classic

1 Like

The unarmored epic mounts is one thing I was really hoping they would leave in. Its not like its an item that was changed, just not at the vendors anymore. I was looking forward to having my white stallion again, I just find all the armored horses look terrible.

14 Likes

They might just make them really expensive to preserve their rarity (something like mammoth mounts in modern WoW, if I remember correctly). But please don’t take them from us; I was really hoping for old mounts, cause many of them are looking so much better than their armored counterparts.

2 Likes

I am very disappointed they will not be in classic.

9 Likes

Technically, the mount system change was in 1.12.1 (or 2). Fesz can explain to you why that matters, but from listening to Brian it was an explicit decision to change it away from the 1.12 method because that method was really introduced for TBC.

Yes its a change from 1.12, but its a good change.

i smell unarmored mounts being a classic wow store option, mark my words

1 Like

Thank you for making this post. I was really looking forward to trying to get the ram for my night elf. Even if there isn’t enough rep to get to exalted with Ironforge I wanted to find out for myself, because hey, it’s the journey that counts.

Blizz, please don’t dictate to us how we are supposed to enjoy the game. The majority of people who plan to rush through leveling aren’t doing it for mounts.

6 Likes

You don’t want time limited items to influence how we play? Blizz, people are going to play however often, and however long they want to. Whether it’s healthy or not, and whether you tell us to or not. If you want to control how others play the game then do that on BfA, and future expansions; not on Classic if you truly want Classic servers.

This is quite a bummer honestly. I had my sights set on getting both a Nightsaber, and a Ram before they went away. Now it looks like I’ll be no-lifeing it to get the Scarab Lord mount…

Oh wait.

The Scarab Lord mount falls under a time limited item as well. Do you intend to stick to your guns, and make that unobtainable as well? Or will you split hairs, and keep that in-game, while contradicting yourself, and let the unarmored mounts stay unobtainable?

Much like the whole Layering aspect, I hope that this decision is one that gets thought over, discussed, and changed before launch after you get to see how players respond. It wouldn’t be the first time you’ve went back on something previously stated. Anyone else remember the infamous “Wall of No” ?

Please Blizz, rethink this one.

Also Xeldzheir, I’ve got a gut feeling that’s coming. Loaded with cosmetics, and toys, then when the outrage comes the response will be “it doesn’t effect gameplay”

7 Likes

I for one was really really hoping for these old mounts back. It was on my list of things I wasn’t able to accomplish in vanilla that I really wanted to this time around… You said you don’t want people needing to rush to 60 for this but what if that’s what some of us want/like to do?

4 Likes

TRIGGERED!

In all seriousness, though, I was really worried about this, and this was my biggest reason for no changes. I said from the very beginning, I don’t want Blizzard picking and choosing which changes and which patches to pick content from.

Just give us 1.12 as it was. Implementing a system from before 1.12 opens a whole can of worms for people to ask for specific changes to made.

“Authentic” - stop picking and choosing what you think is best for Vanilla please. Just give us Vanilla as much as possible. This is a no brainer to leave in, don’t understand the decision to take them out - I understand what they have said, but it is completely inconsistent with the mission statement of Classic

4 Likes

The old mounts were not part of any system nor where they even a changed item. They were simply an item no longer sold at vendors, remember that mounts were actual items you carried in your bags and unarmored mount items exist in the unaltered state to this day.

Thinking about it they even coexisted for a short time, at least for some factions as the menethil harbor horse vendor still sold old ones for a tiny bit after the other horse vendors were changed over.

3 Likes

Unarmored mounts are achievements without achiv system being in vanilla… you see that unarmored mount and that is basically someone AotC in terms of lving to lv 60 in vanilla… they NEED that in the game. the point of vanilla was that things you do are rewarding and make you special… but blizzard doesnt want people to be special. they want everyone to be the same… just watch, everyone will have thunderfury and sulfuron now.

2 Likes

I’m talking about this:

From the classic demo, we learned that the riding system is the older race riding one, instead of the profession-esque system we have today in modern wow introduced in Patch 1.12.1. What was the train of thought behind this decision?

"The modern riding system was introduced in one of the later 1.12 patches, and as we were discussing it, we felt this system was added to prepare the game for Burning Crusade, which had the ability to ride flying mounts.

For most of the history of WoW Classic, throughout 2004 and 2005, we had the older mount system. It just felt more authentic to that game, to use the older one instead of one that just laid the groundwork for another expansion."

2 Likes

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the mounts themselves… which are also not sold by 1.12 anymore.

Bumping this.

Ideally would love them to be time limited. Just like not watering down the grind for R14 gear it shows some distinction between the average player and those willing to grind it out.

If for some reason this rational doesn’t apply here, then simply having them available as an option would be much appreciated.

Was super looking forward to the ivory raptor.

1 Like

The mount change happened as a precursor to TBC though. To me this is a “change” to keep it Vanilla, because the mount difference was not something we really experienced until the last month or two before pre-patch.

1.12 is vanilla, though. It wasn’t a 2.0 change.

The point I was making is that Blizzard shouldn’t be picking and choosing various patches as the baseline for how things work.

“AV from this patch. Content from this patch. Balancing from this patch. Mounts from this patch.”

It’s a lot easier to just say “we’re using 1.12 because that was the last patch.”

2 Likes