Unable to generate holy power (ret)

Reposting from the ret pally forums my issue.

has any ret pallys had this issue?

I think i left my computer running wow overnight without a restart so I suspect a memory leak or caching error but I want to be sure it DOES NOT happen again as my palladin is my mythic raiding character (not acceptable on any character really)

here’s what is happening: my HP generating abilities are doing damage the animation is going off but will not generate holy power. when the mob finally dies i am granted 5 holy power.

this seems odd I don’t know exactly what is happening my side or server side. Obvsiously the server is registering the damage as far as i can tell my blade of wrath and everything is doing damage and wake of ashes but will not register the holy power.

This is not just a graphical or display error as I am UNABLE to cast templar’s verdict.

So far a computer restart has fixed it but so did a spec swap but it still came back.

I will post updates but I am reposting in the bug report and I have an open ticket.

very strange issue.

any player experience or help is appreciated.

edit

oh yes and I have disabled all addons and restarted wow and battle net. that did not fix it only swapping specs temporarily and also restarting computer so far.

edit

also it will not dismount me when I use my abilites and I am floating on the ground. instead of dismounting me it just says you are mounted. even when i have landed.

Ugh why do people always assume disabling addons fixes everything just a urban myth. If you realy want to do a proper fix do a FULL and PROPER UI RESET https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7549

2 Likes

i appreciate the suggestion but I’m on a fresh install and I’m not sure if its a UI issue when the damage is being registered but not granting me holy power.

UI is usually DISPLAY issues and like i said I am unable to use templar’s verdict at all which means the holy power just isn’t there.

Troubleshooting 101 even if its on a fresh install FUll UI reset.

1 Like

but like i said it’s not a display issue? unless UI can affect combat

I’ve seen several say they’ve encountered issues with resource-generators for Holy Power, Chi, and Combo Points.
Not sure if the cause has been found or how to solve it but it isn’t just you that has run into it.

I’d poke Tech Support as this will likely be more up their alley.

To rule out a few things:

1. Have you tried a UI reset? It’s a bit different than just disabling the addons and can rule out a few things.
    https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7549

2. OS and drivers all up to date?

Let’s also try to get as much info as we can on the issue.
Does it happen on other Paladins? Or just that one? (Try out a Lightforged Draenei Paladin if you can make one, it can generate/spend Holy Power and won’t take much time to get it set up for testing.)

Does it happen all the time or just select time frames?
What zones? BFA ones, select zones, all zones, etc.
Does it happen while in instances (like old raids)?
Do players around affect it?
Does it get worse/better with addons?
When did you first start encountering the issue? (Most have said it started in the 8.1 patch, for example.)
Stuff like that.
Helps narrow down what the issue is, and if it is a bug it helps immensely when trying to fix the bug.

1 Like

Corrupted UI can affect anything.

1 Like

You’re not the only one this has happened to Rautha. Bunch of threads in the Bug Report forum from Druids, Rogues, Monks, and other Paladins reporting the same issue.

Here’s one of the larger threads, if you’d like somewhere to add your voice.

AFAIK, there’s no real workaround that has solved it for everyone. Logging out, hearthing, switching phases … It seems that if something works to correct the issue, it simply reappears - sometimes within a few minutes.

3 Likes

In regards to the invisible mount issue mentioned in the thread Mulberry linked, this is what a Blizzard poster suggested as troubleshooting steps.

2 Likes

have not done a UI reset as I hate that because have a million addons I lose when i do that but that will be the next thing i try if it comes back. (backing up weak aruas is frustrating when I have so many strings to export)

Graphics card is as updated as far as it can be as the december one is FPS bugged for my computer. and actually according to my laptop provider I’m using newer drivers than they recommend.

It so far has happened farming syndicate rep in BFA. but I have also noticed losing holy power in legacy raids where wake of ashes only grants zero to two holy power.

i don’t know if players affect it.

Disabling addons didn’t fix it.

first started bad today but I noticed buggy stuff on mydruid too with my flight forms switching on a moonfire from stag to bat (ground to flying)

when it starts happening again i will switch to my alliance palladin i didn’t think of that.

Like i said I suspect a weird memory leak from my laptop running 2 nights in a row no reset (it’s happened before but not affecting combat)

You know u can just cut and paste ur addons on to another folder outside of wow instead of just deleting them.

1 Like

Righto, instead of deleting the folders you can just rename them so you won’t lose them. Can always go back if it wasn’t a UI issue.
Can also make a backup elsewhere, I recommend doing a backup anyway just to make sure you always have them.

2 Likes

Even reinstalling is NOT a proper reset UI, depending on how it is done - and if you didn’t have to reinstall addons, doesn’t make a difference.

If the changes causing issues are still present, nothing changes.

Those changes live in the WTF, Cache and Interface folders, the three folders that are involved in the reset UI.

2 Likes

Experiencing the same issue as well as the invisible mount bug. Will attempt a UI reset.

1 Like

Thank you for the blue post Orlyia!

I waited until the problem came back which took about a day.
Logging out and back in did NOT solve the problem.
I did a full UI reset after that and combat is back to normal thank goodness.

I do need to reinstall addons for the raid tonight (mythic ghuun) but hopefully this is a PERMANENT fix regardless of addons (because my addons are required for mythic Ghuun progression)

@everyone

If you have had these issues before was a UI reset a permanent solution so far for you guys?

It is until the misbehaving addon is reinstalled that caused it to go haywire in the first place. You’ll want to add them back one at a time to find the outlier and make sure the author updates it to be compatible before installing it again.

3 Likes

It’s possible for add-ons to get corrupt settings over time too. Just reinstalling new copies and setting them up again may solve the problem permanently.

1 Like

I get it on my cat (basically same mechanic which leads me to think that there’s a bug with secondary resources) occasionally. Usually the UI reset’s okay but on occasion there’s bugs.

I recommend making certain to update addons and creating a copy of the addon folder. It’s what I do at least.

1 Like

Hello again. I opened another ticket but I figured i would try here as well.

I tried a full UI reset. the problem went away for a while but eventually it came back.

Most recently I was killing guards in booty bay when i was unable to generate holy power again randomly. around that time my battle ground que popped.

as soon as i entered the battleground and started fighting the problem went away.

as well, at one point my achievement tracket said zero exalted reputations instead of 97. closing the program made it track properly again.

where to I go from here. another UI reset?

here are my addons that i reinstalled.

Skada, azeroth auto pilot, weak auras 2, DBM

edit

I have done another UI reset. I have eliminated skada and azeroth autopilot to see if that is the issue

You post in the Bug Report forum and have patience.

2 Likes