Tyrande as the Night Warrior: Success or Failure?

I mean, fair points.

I don’t really know how to get past this. I mean, there is going to be a reckoning so we are in for one more faction war. That is, really, what it’s going to come down to.

I mean, I wouldn’t say theyŗe glorified. If you mean Grom and Doomhammer. I also don’t think Doomhammer is evil. I think his actions are… understandable, given his situation. And all the faults are admitted. In the book where he’s one of the central characters, he himself admit that this war definitely isn’t the ideal course of actions, but he doesn’t see a better way out. I honestly think that’s a good thing, that he’s not just a outright “good guy”.

As for Grom, he’s uh… interesting. I think pretty much all characters in lore admit that’s he’s an absolute maniac and nobody wanted to deal with him anymore than necessary, but he did go through Redemption thru Death, which always looks pretty in stories, so… here we are.

What is “savage”? If Horde players want to be “savage” but not be seen as evil, I think it’s really important that you define exactly what savage means and do it very thoroughly, instead of just behaving as if the definition is a given.

7 Likes

They actually don’t… Saurfang has willfully killed civilians in the past. Immediately after the burning of Teldrassil, Saurfang’s first concern was “They will come for us now.”

His first concern wasn’t for the lives of the innocent night elves burning to death. His first concern was that Sylvanas just destroyed the Horde’s greatest bargaining chip. Which compromised the war at large, and thusly, the Horde as a whole.

Throughout the BFA story, Saurfang never vocalizes any sympathy for the Night Elves. His primary concern was the continued existence of the Horde, mixed with the internal conflict of the Horde’s bloody history not aligning with his own perceptions of what he thought the Horde was.

We have no reason to believe that Saurfang had any moral concern for the innocent lives lost at Teldrassil.

8 Likes

Not without it being hypocritical as the poster above mentioned.

“You wish to know the difference between the demons and us? They will stop at nothing to destroy our world.”

“And we will sacrifice everything to save it.”

But oh no, lock that man up until we need him again then banish him.

I mean… Illidan was locked away for making a new Well of Eternity, not because she didn’t like his methods of fighting the Legion.

Though, Ill also argue that killing your allies for personal power would also have been a valid reason to lock him up.

Hot take, killing your allies for personal gain isn’t selflessly dedicating yourself to the defense of your world. It’s just being a narcissistic psychopath.

2 Likes

Hot Take - those Night Elf guards holding Illidan prisoner might want a word with Tyrande when she freed him.

1 Like

I agree, that was also stupid, and a bit of a plot hole on Blizzard’s part, since Tyrande is supposed to be the highest authority in Kaldorei society,

6 Likes

I guess they just inherited Maiev’s hateb***r for Tyrande.

2 Likes

I mean… Have you seen those back muscles?

Also, if Tyrande dies, I just pray we get Maiev as a racial leader and not “human potential” Shandris.

3 Likes

As big of a fan of Maiev as I am, i still preffer Shandris as a racial leader. While people like to point out that she is too close to humans, i think she goes into a good place between being extremely radical or completely bowing to the Alliance.

Maiev can take leadership of the military forces in general though. She is the best in that field after all.

3 Likes

Maiev? Her leadership was… lacking… at best in WotA when she was in charge, briefly, of a large host.

She’s not a general. She’s more akin to Shaw.

2 Likes

I mean… if we are going to judge a character’s leadership abilities based upon the nonsensical stories of Blizzard, then I don’t think we can say anyone in the Warcraft universe has been an effective leader. At least Maiev is cool.

Sure, that’s fair.

The difference is that even in universe, the competent generals are treated as competent by the narrative, even if they make stupid choices.

Maiev was lacking that, albeit from the priesthood side of things with her leadership.

She should be a spy character. For some odd reason, Night Elves dont have those, despite being the only other Alliance race I know of that had their own HQ for spies.

2 Likes

Makes sense.

Jarod is more the frontline military master

While Maiev seems more like specific tasks.

I don’t see that. Maiev was in the position to inherent the mantle of High Priestess. I do not think that would have been a possibility for her if she weren’t perceived as a competent leader in universe.

Even now, she is generally considered to be a capable and cunning warrior, and certainly not someone to be trifled with, far more so than just some spy figure. Hell, she is the main commander in the Darkshore Warfront.

Probably because the entire race acts as spies. Tyrande, the druids, the wardens and the Sentinels in general use stealth tactics.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call Shandris “human potential” just yet. She was really cool through out all of BfA, until the end when she has her stupid, “Tyrande you were harsh to King Anduin.” moment. While that was an AWFUL moment, it doesn’t erase how cool she was or has been.

1 Like

I dunno, I find her a bit boring, she was more interesting in her Vanilla- Cata incarnation. The zealous and fiery loyalist to Tyrande organising spy networks all over Azeroth to gather intel, and always ready to fight in a battle.

I am not sure when that was ever the case. If anything, she has only become a Tyrande loyalist recently. Before, she has always been critical of Tyrande’s leadership.