Tyrande as the Night Warrior: Success or Failure?

Good afternoon, everyone.

After having discussed this with some friends, I wanted to gauge what’s the general opinion on whether Tyrande’s Night Warrior arc has served in either making you more interested in her character, further improving your liking of the character, and in the opposite spectrum, if it “ruined” Tyrande for you or if you still don’t care about her.

Thank you.

4 Likes

You should inform the reader if you’re looking for primarily Alliance answers. Horde may give you a mixed bag.

7 Likes

I don’t care either way. Horde players are playing the game too.

8 Likes

The more I see of Tyrande the more I hate that night elves exist in the game.
:man_shrugging:

17 Likes

May I ask why you feel that way?

Since WC3 I’ve been mostly indifferent to Tyrande. I didn’t like the idea that she shunned Illidan for using unorthodox methods to get results under dire circumstances and then turns around and kills several wardens to release him only to continue to shun him for his unorthodox methods. But otherwise she wasn’t really noteworthy.

Fast forward to Night Warrior Tyrande she’s just as big a hypocrite but now she’s a bit edgier.

/golfclap I guess…

:pancakes:

45 Likes

I feel as though the story could have had a really good plot to it and been able to draw players from both factions in. To me though that’s not the case, all it’s been so far is “LEEEEERRRRROOOOOYYYY JENKINNNNNSSSS” level of blind stupidity when it comes to danger and just cringey edgy “roar I’m mad and dangerous” stuff that just hasn’t translated well to the game.

20 Likes

I haven’t slept in 24 hours so off the top of my head,

1: Tyrande is always used to speak down to the Horde player. This is beyond tiresome.
2: Blizzard is not letting Teldrassil go. We had no design input in BFA. We don’t deserve to be punished for it.
3: Night Elf players burned out every iota of sympathy I had for their plight.

41 Likes

meh

/10char

edit: Actually here’s some substance, Blizzard is overcompensating way too hard for certain peoples complaints about Tyrande in BFA, that she doesn’t meet some arbitrary power level, that she didn’t disintegrate the entire Forsaken army with a glance, whatever the hell they say, and the result is a hilarious caricature that is impossible to actually take seriously or think is cool because its just so transparently pandering and over the top. They’re trying to make her like…the Doom Slayer or something, and its just silly.

14 Likes

Tyrande as Night Warrior reminds me of Dark Phoenix in X-Men: The Last Stand. She’s the most powerful thing on the planet right now and is used in the least practical way possible. She is a generic plot device, not an actual character, and her arch serves no real purpose but to steal the glory of killing Nathanos from the players.

28 Likes

I have a problem with this post. Why are you letting outsider factors like the fans of a certain race affect your thoughts on the narrative? That’s just toxic thinking.

25 Likes

As someone that is mostly invested in Night elf lore (and related), I have mostly mixed feelings.

The idea was cool, and the model update was necessary and awesome.

But so far, besides the maw/torghast scenario we haven’t seen anything visually different from WC 3 Tyrande. We are told she got more powerful, but We’re never shown anything new with few exceptions.

But, the story development so far has been good. My final thoughts are going to be when the Story is finally over.

One thing is certain, Tyrande will never be the same again, so either she dies or she finds a way to split the power.

15 Likes

Because what’s happening in the narrative compounds upon what night elf fans denigrate. I’m done with the night elven race like I imagine some were with orcs after WoD.

5 Likes

Various negative feelings.

-It’s just another Teldrassil aftermath reminder that irritates me.
–Although I know it would be worse for the story at large to ignore it.

-I dislike that this is now the 4th incarnation of “you’ve abused this character and now they’re righteously hateful” because it was already uncomfortable after Varian, nevermind Genn and Jaina in that order.
–But I know it would be nonsensical for her not to be.

-She’s now the second alliance character after Alleria to get juiced up with a spooky new power that, as far as I can tell at this point in time, isn’t going to succumb or go crazy or whatever. After watching Sylvanas get trashed so thoroughly, this bugs me.
–But it’s not like I actually want it to happen because that story already sucked. And if anything did happen to Tyrande, it’s roundabout the horde’s fault for driving her to it anyway.

-I think the game’s making a really weird message about “not letting hate consume you” or something like that, but I can’t tell where genuine hate is supposed to end and Night Warrior anger is supposed to begin. In a way, it makes it seem like Tyrande’s not allowed to own her own grief.

-I think my brain works in weird ways and I sorely dislike the black eyes customization option in the wake of how it was added, because I instantly thought of “domestic abuse” and now I can’t shake that mental association whenever I see her, or any character, using them. I know that’s entirely on me but it creeps me out anyway.

38 Likes

While true I and many others had “orc fatigue” following Warlords, I didn’t necessarily let that cloud my opinion of them as a race. Those are two separate things.

10 Likes

I think the Nightwarrior has some issues tied into Elune herself. We know very little about Elune, but she has been billed as this mysterious legit deity that can warp the universe when it suits her.

So, when Tyrande becomes the avatar for this Godesses’ darkest aspects, in a ritual that normally causes people to basically explode due to the power levels, you logically expect her to Superman everything that comes before her. You don’t expect her to struggle to kill off Nathanos.

If she was coming into the powers of the Night Warrior and that is why she was less powerful than would be expected, they should of communicated that. They did not, and so the triumphant fist-pump moment they were going for fell flat.

Then there is this whole issue the blessing became a curse, which bent a lot of folks out of shape… though I’d argue curses and blessings tend to come wrapped together.

In general I like the concept but I felt the execution was off due to a failure to communicate some ground rules and an inability to explain Elune more without ruining the buildup they are trying to make.

5 Likes

I never liked Tyrande because her type of character has just never been my cup of tea, and she’s just gotten more aggressive since this Night Warrior stuff. Understandably so - I’d be pissed too in her situation - but as a character that doesn’t endear her to me at all.

Also we haven’t even seen her do anything that she couldn’t do beforehand.

4 Likes

Well, to be fair, you cant have an event like teldrassil and not have it be felt afterwards.

24 Likes

Oh, remembered something. Night Fae campaign spoilers for a later stage:

Summary

We meet another ancient Night Warrior, and on his world he used the power to destroy an entire Old God full stop, even if it did kill him to do so. Makes Tyrande’s showing in Darkshore even worse in retrospect.

16 Likes

Its really not.

Like, I hated the BoT so much … but all I can muster is apathy for it at this point. After 2 years of being told I’m a bad person IRL for the faction I enjoy, because of reckless decisions Blizz chose to take it, by overzealous Alliance players (especially NEs) … “Good Will” is hard to come by. It would only be toxic thinking if the fallout from Teld remained in game, but it didn’t.

As a Horde player … I’m just tired.

19 Likes