Tyrande’s quest was NOT vengeance

I’m not negative, maybe I just appear to be because the Night Elf story is always negative and tragedy

1 Like

As a more thematic point - you appear to be trying to communicate Blizzard’s framing of the matter, when the objection comes out of whether the audience actually agrees with that.

3 Likes

Because victim-blaming is okay as long as your soul was “split.” Its an long-standing “tradition” for the Alliance to be a doormat.

11 Likes

The thing is, the Horde has a legitimate greivance against the Alliance and the Night Elves too, for just wanting to survive, so there’s no one sided answer to this problem.

The fighting in Ashenvale over resources was only ever going to be resolved one way and it was either the destruction of Orgrimmar or the destruction of Teldrassil.

Burning down a tree full of innocents after a completely unprovoked attack is the Horde ‘just trying to survive?’

18 Likes

and obliterating their souls in wow hell

Then blighting the land to make it unusable even for themselves

5 Likes

Actually no, you are negative in the way that you exaggerate things sometimes. Like below.

Tyrande apologize to Sylvanas for such a dumb reason? Come on.
That won’t ever happen and you stating it like THAT makes it ridiculous, when you said it I just rolled my eyes and closed the tab and went to do something else.

Tyrande realizing vengeance is bad? Sure thats possible.
Tyrande sparing Sylvanas temporarily so that she can help with stopping Jailer? Yep. That will probably happen and in the finale she probably won’t get a chance at revenge.
Tyrande saying something like “You aren’t worth my time anymore” and walking away in the most cliche cinematic possible? Also a maybe.
No statisfaction for anyone (Night Elves included)? Absolutely.

But this over the top of Tyrande of all people will be the one apologizing, all the night elves are dead. everything is gone. everyone is gone. life is over. etc. etc. etc. is just annoying.

I don’t think you are wrong in your overall expectations to be disappointed, but when you get into the specifics of how bad things will be then it begins to get ridiculous.

The Horde can perfectly survive if it didn’t attack the Alliance every odd expansion.

1 Like

The Horde wanted to capture the tree. Sylvanas risked losing the battle trying to scare the Night Elves into evacuating the tree before she burnt it.

The Night Elves were described in A Good War as giving just as good at they got by torturing Horde soldiers with slow aganizing deaths. Soffocating them with vines, burying them alive, burning them etc. These were not ‘quick deaths’ which highlight the savagery of the Night Elves.

The whole point was War can make
even the nobilist races resort to savagery if war gives them a reason to, and that lesson has become highighted by Night Elf fans calling for spilled blood.

You are being denied victory because you are being asked by the narrative to self reflect.

Might I remind you that Elune also denied Tyrande vengence. Your goddess of PEACE judged Tyrande’s vengence unworthy.

3 Likes

This is why I get concerned about the messages that this game puts out - and it’s certainly not the first time I’ve seen someone argue that a genocide is okay if it means that the Horde can gain resources.

I’ll get flak for this, but I hope that people like Renautus never get into any kind of position of power.

3 Likes

I mean, if we want to get into arguments about the framing we’d just end up at the agreement that Teldrassil never should have happened in the first place and largely negate most of Tyrande’s story anyway.

And if I was just trying to argue from ‘whether the audience should agree with it’ would make my argument devolve into ‘Tyrande Bad, Blizzard Good’. I’m trying to argue that the story has nuance, even if Blizzard is bad at it. Tyrande’s story has all the hallmarks of good tragedy, just organized terribly.

6 Likes

those have already happened when it comes to the night elves though.

And since Sylvanas will inevitably be right, Tyrande will (and already has been) be painted as the wrong one. Her trying to bring Sylvanas to justice was already painted as wrong previously.

That’s fair - thanks for clarifying!

But they didn’t capture it, they BURNED it. And not one of you stepped up and said ‘whoa hold up lady, that tree’s full of civilians! Burning it would be a war crime!’

But none of you did the right thing, you just ‘followed orders.’

To be fair, I lay that more at the feet of Blizzard’s awful writing than Horde moral ambivalence, but on the same token the Horde has a pretty awful track record for blindly following the orders of objectively evil leaders right up until they finally turn on you as well.

10 Likes

Not at all. It could be solved by dialogue and properly utilizing the resources you have. Its not the Alliance’s fault or concern you can’t manage Azshara’s land and resources, so why should the night elves concede more land when the Horde is just going to turn those resources into weapons to use against them because its structure only works in conquest?

Also, Sylvanas isn’t apart of the Nothing! faction.

2 Likes

I spent more time than I care to explaining why your behavior gets on people’s nerves. If you don’t want to fix it thats a you issue. I am done talking about this.

2 Likes

I’m just going to point out as well, neither Sylvanas nor Saurfang did what they did for resources.

They did it on the basis of what I have seen referred to (accurately, I would say) as “Azeroth’s version of the fourteen words”.

4 Likes

Back down on the RP there please, remember you are talking to players who actually didn’t have a choice in the Burning happening.

8 Likes

No, we’re talking to a player who is, in an OOC fashion, attempting to justify the abstract concept of genocide for resource gains.

2 Likes

by giving the Horde Azshara so they’d have enough ressources.

The War of Thorns had the purpose of ending the Night Elves as a nation and as people, not for ressources.

8 Likes

Where was that option in the story? Where was that side quest objective? Don’t act like that there would have been no Horde players that would have done that if it were a thing that had been allowed.

How about we flip this? Why didn’t Alliance players just rescue all of the civilians? Why didn’t you just put out the fires with magic? Why didn’t you go hop in the Exodar and fly it over to where Teldrassil was and beam canon the invading forces of the Horde before they had a chance to set the tree on fire in the first place?

Oh right, you know why, because THAT WASN’T BLOODY WELL AN OPTION YOU WERE GIVEN!

12 Likes