Tyrande’s quest was NOT vengeance

Fine, idc. You can lock her up forever, for all I care.
A fate worse than death. How ironic.

It’s funny people talk about ethics when it comes to bringing a murderer to justice, but not in the countless faction wars where you kill countless people in the game.

And don’t say it’s because we’re talking about justice, because frankly my point is that if the game can let you blindly kill whoever in a faction war, it can most certainly agree that ending Sylvanas is justice.

Why is one life so much more important to you than all the others you didn’t bat an eye towards? You don’t have to answer that.

2 Likes

I mean, we know the answer already.

That’s my point. I also think it’s the same double standards used by ethics groups in the West.

It’s a problem with factionalism in general. People taking positions because they’re useful to one side or another, and then dumping them when the shoe is on the other foot. Pick an issue and you’ll find it.

This is just that with the faction war.

Please enlighten me Kyalin. What is the answer?

We’ve discussed it already.

So hostage taking is a terrorist act or not?

Edit.
Hmm. Recognize the Horde as a terrorist organization, and then what? Mda, I didn’t think so far.

To make it clear.

If the Horde does it, it’s justified. If the Alliance does it, it’s not.

That is the essence of factionalism. No matter what it is, it’s okay if your side does it. Nationalism, as was discussed previously, can emerge as a variant of this - and yes, this thinking can lead to some pretty monstrous places, as we’ve seen play out in this thread.

I don’t think it is always “factionalism”. Sometimes it is just plain and simple bias- conscious or unconscious. And bias takes many forms.

Factionalism is a sort of bias, it’s just a more specific word for that bias, one that hints at its root cause.

She won’t stop. Her entire sense of self-worth is tied to a pixel race.

2 Likes

You’re a republican lmao

4 Likes

Why do you think I get concerned about this kind of thing? Do you think it’s fun watching people that you considered friends adopt hateful rhetoric just because other people in their political party started saying those things?

9 Likes

Oh! Wow. Thank you for pointing that out. I can safely say Kyalin and I don’t share the same politics. I was mistaken.

Sadly, I do think irl politcs bleeds through these arguments. Especially in the last few years.

I was getting that “Repulicans are the new equivalent to jews in the holocaust” vibe from Kyalin.

2 Likes

I mean, they were always going to - your ideology dictates quite a lot of what you consider to be acceptable. For instance, when it came to Garrosh’s motivations for war, I was there to note that the Horde’s resource problems were of their own making (because they were), and that they are not entitled to forcibly redistribute what they wanted. I was met during Cataclysm by people who believed that the Night Elves had a unique and special responsibility to support the Orcs, despite the history and despite that the Horde got itself into that bind.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing. That can create a conflict upon which we can have debates, especially when they are about fundamental matters of philosophical differences.

It becomes a bad thing when it instead becomes a petri dish for the emergence of the worst sort of ideologies - and those that present entire ethnic groups as “threats” that have to be “dealt with” are absolutely among those. If you’re willing to ignore that in favor of getting in some cheap shots at me because you don’t like the faction I chose in a video game, the only thing you’ve managed to accomplish is to demonstrate the problem of factionalism itself.

Which is an interesting social experiment to be sure, even if the conclusion to it is horrifying.

They need to settle on what the difference between vengeance and desire for justice actually is, and then clearly show it.

2 Likes

“Revenge” and “justice” within the Warcraft universe or in reality?

Ironic coming from the person who wants to accost complete strangers just because they have a Horde symbol on their t-shirt.

9 Likes

Now that’s surely the polite way to put it.

2 Likes