TWW Pathfinder: Whats the Point?

It appears they now have taken the position that hovering while in flight to look at the map is degenerate behavior to be eradicated.

Another possible reason that dragonriding exists is because it is yet another way to manipulate and exploit collectors into collecting a new type of mount and its variations while continuing to milk them to collect more regular mounts.

5 Likes

I’m starting to wonder if Ye Olde Code they used for flight in BC is somehow hard tied to the achievement system they started in Wrath and they can’t figure out how to untangle it. Which could be solved by just giving an arbitrary achievement for starting the xpac, I guess, which sort of nullifies that theory hmm.

I can’t think of any logically good reason :dracthyr_shrug:

2 Likes

How exactly is “engaging with the content properly”? We’ll have dynamic flying. We’ll be flying over anything we don’t want to deal with. How is that any different?

9 Likes

attempting to avoid mobs with dynamic flight requires thinking and isn’t always successful due to the imprecise nature of trajectories. Plus you have limited attempts due to vigor. In other words there are actual mechanics to engage with rather than avoiding a fight because you’re two inches above a ranged enemy.

I just hope that they adapt gathering for dynamic flight better. Because it’s very unsatisfying to stop when you worked to get momentum.

Perhaps make veins rarer, but more lucrative individually.

1 Like

Wow Classic has entered the chat.

5 Likes

No it doesn’t.

Yes it is.

I’ve never run out to the point it grounds me.

Oh yea, pressing spacebar for dynamic flying is much more mechanical than pressing spacebar for regular flying.

5 Likes

I’m not saying it requires much effort, but it has more of a fail condition than previous flying. Under dynamic flight if you mistime a patrol you land and get aggro. Under previous flight if you mistime a patrol you just do nothing until it leaves or someone else pulls it. It’s not even a question of reaction time since you have complete control of movement until you dismount.

Which is pretty much negligible.

Then you just take off again.

You have complete control of your dynamic flying mount as well. Edit - oh sorry you can’t hover.

1 Like

Not if you’ve been dismounted.

Dynamic flight goes straight and turns. You don’t have hovering, purely lateral movement, or purely vertical movement.

The best way to incentivize dynamic flight is to slow down traditional flight speed. 200% max. It’s easier, but intentionally less convenient for quick travel and/or resource gathering.

Otherwise, having every mode of personal transportation be accessible right away is the best thing for accessibility.

You run the same risk of dismounting as a regular flying mount.

You absolutely do have pure vertical movement.

3 Likes

Not when you can hover right above an enemy without aggroing them. The careful control and ability to hover makes it trivial to avoid enemies because you can make use of much smaller windows.

For a limited time if you point the camera away from the ground.

There is no logic behind this decision. It’s Ion digging his heels in because not all of us adore dynamic flight.

13 Likes

wait, we’re going in tww with pathfinder for the OLD flying…again?
why the - is the old flying locked? LOL the poor mans flying. backwards af.

12 Likes

Is it really? Ableism is usually defined as prejudicial thinking that discriminates against people with disabilities. Blizzard actually puts considerable effort into implementing ways to make their games more accessible. It will never cover anyone, but there is still substantial work done on accessibility.

I think for many able bodied people who don’t like pathfinder, appropriating the accessibility argument is just a convenience.

For the record, I’ve come to despise pathfinders.

3 Likes

Let’s break this down. What open world patrol can pose a credible threat to any class in this game? It’s a minor inconvenience at best. You’re acting like this made up patrol is one of the deadliest entities a player character can encounter. Both forms of flying eliminates this tedious inconvenience.

Stop moving the goalposts, you said you didn’t have vertical movement with dynamic flying.

2 Likes

No… you claimed you have complete control with dynamic flight

I said you don’t have purely vertical movement due to the complications of moving vertically. Having to play around gravity is not complete control.

Other than hover, there’s nothing dynamic flying can’t do that regular flying can.

I notice you conveniently left out the part about an open world patrol being remotely dangerous. I assume you agree then and we’re just arguing semantics now?

What is your actual problem with regular flying being available at the start like dynamic flying?

10 Likes

It’s not about the patrol being deadly, it’s about it adding substance to the quest. Old flying allows for avoidance with simple controls, but also doesn’t require planning due to flight being controllable, infinite, and safe even in close proximity to enemies. Pretty much anything can be done without combat by waiting 5 feet off the ground. Dynamic flight has many of the same issues but at least players have to choose between circling in the air, requiring concentration and working off of limited sight, or waiting a few seconds away requiring them to forsee enemy movement and requiring improvising if something goes wrong.

It is much harder to look in a specific direction while moving away from it, impossible with some maneuvers.
Both are systems for going from point a to point b. Since Blizzard stopped making air enemies (other than land defense that shoot you down) it is almost entirely irrelevant what route you take. But since dynamic flight never stops moving improvising requires player attention opposed to old flight requiring you to just point in a different direction.

Imagine if Blizzard allowed players to use the storyline skip on their first character, or put in a button that gave players max level gear. Players wouldn’t complain, because they see it as optional, but there would be a higher occurrence of players complaining about a lack of content. Or perhaps I’m tired of seeing threads where people act personally attacked over developers making design decisions in a video game.