TWW Pathfinder for Normal flight

ya’ll seeing this?
easy to say when HE will be dragon/skyriding day one… lmao.

ignored…

2 Likes

It feels like 100% pettiness. I expect nothing less from the Blizzard that truly comes across as hating a certain demographic of their player base.

6 Likes

What section of the playerbase do they hate? If you find Skyriding too difficult, you can just use your ground mounts until you unlock TBC flying.

1 Like

It’s not a hard requirement to unlock it, but I can’t think of any reason to have the requirement at all when skyriding is unlocked from the jump. Just let people have both and choose which they want to use.

8 Likes

well since i havent even bought the xpac yet your now publicly wrong. what else would you like to assume and prove you have no idea what your talking about. cant wait to see what crap you say next.

exactly.
either BOTH flights from the start…OR WE ALL have to do the PF crap to get flight.

2 Likes

It 100% should be the other way around. “You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.”

Apparently not you.

3 Likes

Why should it be the other way? Skyriding is objectively more involved gameplay than the practically no-clipping that is TBC Flight.

1 Like

Wrong I got to max level in 2 zone in DF so why should I even have to go and do the campaign just to use normal flying? It should be dragon riding be lock behind and not regular flying.

Some place require dragon riding to unlock so again they are forcing people to use dragon riding.

4 Likes

The thing is though, Ion is correct about this quoted part.

I understand many people like the convenience of flying and don’t put much care into the type of game play Ion was referencing, but it is a legitimate point.

With the assumption of flying being available they have to design differently than they would if we were all grounded.

Im not saying grounded design is “better”, I’m saying it’s different. So hold the pitchforks everyone.

There isn’t much point in designing a castle with walls and guards, and asking the player to charge in the front gate for a quest, when you can just fly up and over the wall, and hover in place until a pat moves out of the way from the quest objective you’re being asked to click on.

See? He is correct, it’s just that lots of people don’t really care about those types of experiences. They just want fast and easy convenience that flying allows for.

Zip over to the highlighted area on the map, land in the best spot, kill / click and then VTOL take off and fly to the next highlighted area on the map and land, click, and take off again.

2 Likes

Four zones, four campaigns on your way to max level. Where’s the surprise?

5 Likes

I Did say

4 zone campaign

Max level

Explore the 4 zones

The problem is they can’t have what they want now. They already told us how it was coming and what we would need to do (which is NO WHERE) near what we had to do in the past AND had to wait until nearly the end of the expansion.

They provided settings to help, they obliterated PF requirements, and finally gave us both types of flight

People are complaining to complain now.

2 Likes

This is another head-scratcher for me. If it’s one or the other, why not both?

I understand what you’re getting at, but in this case wouldn’t the person with dragonriding just fly over the wall, land in whatever high point is out of reach from the same patrolling npc’s, and then swoop down when it was clear just the same?

In which case the encounter would still have to be designed to specifically remove flying anyway, yes?

4 Likes

Makes personal attacks. Follows it with “Imma block you now because you nauseated me.”

Hope your day gets better.

3 Likes

There’s two choices you can do.

1. Suck it up and do the requirement as best as you can.

2. vote with your wallet and quit the game.

Throwing a fit is not a winning strategy.

1 Like

The person using the old flying mount can continuously dip down into the area to see if they pull aggro before heading back up, calibrating an inch, then trying to land again. Or they can precisely land on top of some little lip that lets them loot the magic egg and then depart.

This is much harder to do with DR because of the forward momentum and limited charges and lack of precision control.

Honestly though, I really think it has more to do with fighting bots.

There’s a few big things happening in the fight against bots:

• Speed handicaps. Because bots can’t effectively DR, a real person has a large speed advantage over a bot fly swimming.
  • Start up time. To gather efficiently takes months of profession investment. This means that every time a bot is banned, they have to re progress the skill required, leading to a longer downtime.
  • Dynamic node engagement. Knockbacks, knock ups, stuns, burns, acid, mobs that spawn, these are all things added in DF to gathering nodes that absolutely wreck bots.

In DF, these changes combined to make botting for herbs and mining impractical and they pretty much all moved to mob farming elementals.

So what’s that got to do with a pathfinder requirement?

If pathfinder is behind a campaign, you can bet your saxifrage that a lot of those quests will be designed in a way that they will require a real human to complete. Even if you can complete the campaign in 8-10 hours, you’re maintaining an important rate limitor of 1 bot per day per human. Without this, they could just power level bots by the dozen in afk mob farms.

1 Like

Or the way skyriding works currently, you can pretty much just circle the area endlessly without worrying about running out of vigor. The only difference is I have to be engaged with flying in circles vs hovering, but flying in circles waiting for a mob to move isn’t actually good or compelling gameplay.

This is an interesting point. You may be dead on.

Oh you’re correct that dragon riding is mostly the same as static flying in this regard. That example of the types of content a no-flying design would have was from back in like 2013 or so when the massive Flying vs No-Flying debate was raging.

They have since conceded and are allowing flight and created Dragonriding as a way to improve flying gameplay now that they are permanently keeping it in the game.

The only real “advantage” TBC flying has over Dragonriding is the ability to hover in place and afk. That lets people wait for the pat to move so you can land in “the best spot”, vs needing to circle around and keep gliding on a dragon riding mount.

There is at least some gameplay involved when dragon riding is in play.

My opinion was that a no-flying world was fine, and I didn’t really understand the visceral negative reaction to playing the game basically the same way we did back in the day. I mean even when TBC and wrath was current, the old world was still a no fly zone.

I started in Oct 2006 or whenever the South Park episode came out, and didn’t buy TBC until maybe May or June of 2007 when I finally hit 60. I fell in love with wow in a world with no-flying.

But, if we are going to have flying, I am VERY happy that they introduced Dragonriding. TBC flying is bland and boring in comparison, in my opinion. I much prefer the momentum mechanics and abilities than just a static linear speed.

Maybe one day they will add momentum mechanics to some ground mounts too? I think that would be a lot of fun.

1 Like