Twitch Drops?

Just made a Twitch account the other day, (because I had nothing better to do) in preparation for the fel drake. I don’t really care about the mount, or the controversy therein. I just wanted a +1 to my collection, cause I’ve taken up collecting in the current lull of things to do, waiting for DF.

Anyway, I’m sure no one cares about that.

The point I want to bring up is, and I dunno if someone has made this a point yet, but…why does the fel drake Twitch drop happen at 3PM PST on Dragonflight’s release day? That’s most likely when the servers are scheduled to be up. Now, don’t get me wrong here, I know they won’t be up then. We all know that. I’m sure Blizz also knows that.

So like…why not just schedule the drop for when the servers first go down? That would actually give everyone time to get the drop. It’d give us all something to do, while we wait for the servers to come up. Instead of just having the stream muted and playing in the background, while we play all the new content we’ve been waiting months (possibly years) for, we could actually watch the stream and be somewhat entertained.

I know it’s not super important, but things that defy logical explanation kind of bum me out. :face_with_monocle:

The servers haven’t gone down for a launch day since Legion. During WoD they were going down for entirely different reasons.

Okay cool. I honestly don’t remember what any of the last launches were like, but that’s good to know. Still doesn’t answer my question though. Why is the drop on launch day, during peak hours?

If the servers are going to be up all day, wouldn’t it make way more sense to have this like the day before? Why would anyone watch Twitch on release day? I still don’t get it.

If the servers are down, you can’t watch DragonFlight content on Twitch though… :thinking:

10 Likes

I thought it was just any Blizz-approved streamer? You can’t watch someone playing Wrath or something?

Your guess is as good as anyone else’s. I flipped my stream on during the last one specifically so people could idle in it, and I’ll do the same for the rest. I know a lot of folks don’t want to click into all the “known” streamers.

Because some people watch streams while they play the game?

My husband doesn’t watch WoW streams while playing. He does, however, watch streams of other games while he plays WoW.

not if the servers are down…

As long as they’re streaming in the Dragonflight category, it’s fine. Doesn’t matter what they’re streaming.

Why would the Classic servers be down on DF’s launch day? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Oh, that’d be kinda cool too. Like some other game or just a vlog-type deal. I’ve never watched a streamer, so I don’t know what they get up to. lol

The goal is to get you to watch World of Warcraft Dragonflight streaming :

You have a really long window for the mount drop.

Start Time: November 28th, 3:00 p.m. PST

End Time: December 1st, 11:59 p.m. PST

Make sure you’re connected as well. I was connected and it took me almost a week to get my kite. It was only after a forum customer service person suggested reconnecting it that it actually worked for me.

it’s really weird that they scheduled this out the way they did, instead of doing it all pre-release to give people something to do.

Right having you watch instead of play is just going to force malicious compliance. I muted the tab and put the steam on 144p while I played. I’m not going to watch it on the 28th. It’s going to be a muted tab. It’s stupid.

3 Likes

Same. Phone is set to low and left in my locker for the last twitch drop. This drop will be very similar.

The goal of the promotion wasn’t to give people something to do in the prepatch lull or during server down time. I’m not saying that to be rude or dismissive, it’s just that if you look at the schedule for the Twitch drops from this lense, you’re right, it makes absolutely no sense, but that’s not why it was scheduled that way.

The goal of the Twitch promotion is to get a lot of people watching WoW streamers during key times (like when the prepatch dropped or when the expac drops) so the WoW content gets bumped up higher on Twitch feeds to hopefully get some new eyeballs on the game when there’s new content to get people to want to try out.

Having said that, you don’t need to be actively watching to get your drops. Just open Twitch, turn it on a WoW stream that has the drops enabled, mute Twitch, and then load WoW and play as normal. Twitch will continue to run in the background and you can play WoW at the same time. I got the dragon kite without actively watching any of the streams.

It’s actually a really smart strategy and it’s a win for multiple parties. Players get free cosmetics and maybe find a new way to enjoy WoW content that they otherwise wouldn’t have. Streamers get a bump in views. And Wow gets more eyeballs on their game. The only people that really lose are the people who paid a lot of money for the drop items.

4 Likes

It just starts on launch day, it runs until Dec 1st.

dont forget guys the RMT event goes live From November 28 at 3:00 p.m. PST until December 12 at 11:59 p.m. PST “do as i say not as i do”

I got the dragon kite. Thank you, Bajheera.

I want the feldrake.

Is there anything else even worth mentioning?