Twitch Drops?

This is a major reason I gave up on twitch drops. I’ve had to reconnect things so many times I became fed up with it.

I was really hoping this thread would just die. :face_exhaling:

The goal should be to play the new expansion.

Still AFTER the expansion launches. I’m going to be too busy to watch Twitch, as so should anyone else be.

Agreed.

But then why are the rewards for in-game stuff? Shouldn’t it be a free month? A discount on the current expansion? It really seems like this is a promotion to get us all interested in Twitch, not to get Twitch fans interested in WoW. But why would they do that? It makes little to no sense.

But all people are going to do is…

Why would any Twitch streamer be excited about this? Is it about someone seeing your content? Or do all they care about is another warm body in their room?

“Hah, look at these thousands of people not watching or listening to me at all, because they just want something free for WoW. I finally made it!”

It can run until February, I don’t care, I’m going to be playing the game. It should be the day before.

Not really. I guess the pet? But I ain’t about to start gifting subs to people.

This whole thing is dumb.

Thank you.

Because the more people the higher they are on tbe list of people playing thd game which makes them more visible to people who aren’t there to get a mount, which means they are more likely to get their stream out to more people who might follow and sub.

It’s the same reason Blizz is doing it at that time. They want people who don’t play or used to play to see the new xpac to entice them to play. So they set up the drop to artificially inflate numbers to push WoW to the front page above other games. It also has the added benefit of FOMO to entice people to make trial accounts or log into old accounts to get the mount.

I’ll be working when the game launches.

I’ll probably open up twitch while at work, listen a bit and earn that reward.

I don’t know about excited, but yes to the rest of those for some streamers at least. Myself and some friends are streaming our stuff just so people do have a place to turn on and mute, most of us aren’t even affiliated so we don’t make any money doing it. We’re more interested in helping people get their drops than whether or not we get views.

TLDR - can always mute channel and get your drops, even if it’s on a tab in the background of you playing (just make sure you’re solid on your connected status and the stream doesn’t end before your 4hrs). small streamers are gamers just like you. bliz in terms of a company wants to focus on analytics from player #s at start of xpac, not focusing on player gratification.
-TLDR
As a recently starting up streamer, I’ve done a bit of research on money vs streaming etc. If you’re doing it for the money, I doubt you’d EVER stick with a single game. Money wise it makes more sense to jump into the most hype and amass as many followers/subs as you can. Most of the smaller streamers are just happy that people enjoy their content. They’re players just like you.
When promotions or other things like this come up to bump up their viewers / followers, they get excited as it may cause them to go up through the ranks of Twitch to earn a bit for their time (affiliate needs certain critera, partner needs even more). Before getting this criteria, they’re streaming for the community for free.
In regards to smaller streamers, if you see ads, those ads are penny equivalent to tipping their streams (this is only for affiliate or higher). Streamers on twitch get a small profit off it and if they have enough viewers, that all adds up. If they’re affiliate or higher, they can get subs and bits also which are more direct forms of tipping for their time with a higher value going towards the streamer. Money wise, I can give you an example.
If you think they make crazy money, they get 30-55% of an ad per view. so if you have 100 viewers with a 10cent ad you’ve got 3-5ish cents for that one ad that ran. If they stream for 2hrs with 3 adds per hr and they keep the 100 viewers for each ad, that’s max 3 ads /hr * 2hrs * 5c = 30 cents for 2hrs work. Obviously with huge viewer count that amount can go up but it’s not huge income for small streamers.
Bits go to the streamer as a direct tip. This is more significant and you can check out what bits are if you’re interested or want to assist smaller streamers financially to keep up with their streams.
Subs go either directly to the streamer to keep them streaming or you can gift subscriptions to their channel which allows other viewers to watch their streams with cosmetic benefits which again sometimes brings in more people.
To keep 100 viewers on a constant basis means you’re entertaining for hours which most people burn out fairly quickly, especially newer streamers.
Going back to what I mentioned earlier, most smaller streamers are fellow players and if they’re small streamers, they aren’t making crazy money. If you’re just there for your drops, they understand and make their streams available to help out the community (as they’ve done with or without pay incentives). It has given some the opportunity to connect with other members of the community that players otherwise wouldn’t have heard of or got the opportunity to enjoy if not for these campaigns.
If you just want the drop and have no interest in Twitch, find a streamer and mute the tab. To help out the community I recommend finding a smaller streamer that you think would promote what you’d want to see of a streamer of WoW.
In terms of why the drops are when servers are up, I recall seeing mention of x players playing new xpac in years past. With campaigns like this it wouldn’t suprise me if they use analytics to show how the game is doing. X amount of players within the first week. X amount of players claiming twitch drops. How much are influencers able to top out in terms of reaching player base. I imagine it would be a good reflection on why to promote more ads on twitch or explain why they put that money into various activities.
My 2c for what it’s worth.

Just afk a twitch channel and have your reward tracker in another tab.

Don’t overthink it.

This is bogus. I missed the feldrake drop. I was too busy with release and leveling up that I missed this. So not fair. Such a short window, on release day too. Bad blizzard, this should’ve been extended.

Hhhyep. Me too. I was entirely too busy having fun to sit here and watch people have fun. It was a rocky launch, but I did do a little bit of stuff before I went to bed that night. Now the mount is gone forever and I don’t really care. I probably could have minorly supported an approved streamer for the allotted 4 hours, had they enabled the drop prior to launch, but now I don’t care anymore.

And now I have a Twitch account linked to my WoW account for no reason. :dracthyr_crylaugh: