Twitch app installing Classic versions of addons in to retail

This might not apply to everyone, but here goes.

I install and update my add-ons through the Twitch app.
Today, I updated my addons through it like always, but noticed that I couldn’t seen my cast bar (quartz) nor weak auras.
At first, I didn’t know what was causing this, but when I typed “/wa” to bring up the weak aura config, it displayed a message saying the add-on was packaged for Classic and needed to install the Retail version.

First of all, I haven’t changed anything in my Twitch app nor WoW or Battlenet app.
I just pressed “update everything” in my Twitch app like I always do.
Nothing else at all.
When I look through the add-on list, theres “classic” in the zip file names for some of the addons.
Like “DetailsClassic.1.1.3.2.181.140.zip”, but under latest version it says, “Details-v8.2.5.7227.140.zip”.
Same goes for Quartz, it says “Quartz-3.5-classic-5.zip”.

So the only assumption I could make is, the Twitch app has screwed up my addons. And it updated “a lot” of my addons…
I can still manually download the addons for retail, but the amount I need to manually download is huge…

Just a heads up for people who are using the Twitch app.
This is the first time this has happened to me btw.

UPDATE:
I started manually downloading everything from the curseforge website,
but remembered there was a “reinstall” feature which is available in the individual addons window (shows up when you click on the individual add-on names within the list).

I was able to fix majority of the addons by using the reinstall feature within the Twitch app.

Exception was Shadow Unit Frames though. Twitch app displayed a “ghost” icon (?) instead of displaying a window which normally displays detailed information of the said add-on (which also should have had a “reinstall feature”).
So I had to go to the website for this one.

1 Like

Twitch dun goofed, this happened regularly before but now they apparently have switched retail and classic for everyone. I heard it should be fixed now

Thanks for the reply.

This happened to me around an hour ago.
But thank god, the reinstall feature fixed majority of the addons, or else, I would have had to go to the individual webpages for each add-on, manually unzipping and installing them in to the add-ons folder…

I regularly take backups of my drives, but I guess I’ll need to backup my addons folder every time before I update (and I check for updates via Twitch app everyday right after booting my PC…)

Any old backup, if it contained all your addons, should be updated to current once Twitch is/was fixed so, more frequent backups wouldn’t make a difference… But that shouldn’t stop you from doing backups more frequently either :wink:.

If you’re concerned about having a current local copy then backup now and after each Twitch update.

I’m thinking of backing up to a pen drive. If its physically on a different drive not even connected to my PC, Twitch app can’t do anything to it.

But I’m assuming its safe as long as I backup to a different folder on my PC, because IF any kind of app changed content of folder/s in a completely different/irrelevant directory without the users permission, that would mean theres a different major issue with the app.

But… I guess its always best to be extra safe…
so I’ll probably use a pen drive (I’m probably paranoid lol)

Thx for the advice!

This actually happened to me yesterday. I don’t even have classic wow installed either.

After I got wrong game version errors in game I went back and looked at twitch. I noticed that all the addons that got updated to the wrong game version had version #'s like “1135” instead of “8.2.5” and reinstalling the “1135” versions fixed the problem and installed the correct client addon.

Something must have been up on the twitch server side I think. Page loads, etc… in the twitch app were agonizing slow or didn’t load at all until I went out and back in an addon’s page.

Happened to me again yesterday too, fortunately caught it before updating.
Completely exiting and restarting the Twitch client appears to resolve it.

This is still happening, it did it to me this morning, again.

I’m having this problem also, and don’t have Classic installed. Twitch automatically ‘updates’ to the classic version of many of my addons, without me doing anything. Yep, I just open Twitch, wait a few seconds, and it starts writing over many of my addons with the Classic version. Then I have to walk through them one-by-one clicking ‘reinstall’ to get them back to the current wow version. If anyone has a fix for this, would love to hear it - TIA.

Can confirm this is not fixed AT ALL. I have this issue every freaking week.

I had Sync on, turned it off and the problem hasn’t happened again. Too soon to say if that’s the cause, but worth a try. Curious if everyone else having this problem also has Sync on. crosses fingers

Just speculation but it seems it may be whenever the Classic version increases it messes up Twitch.

Just happened to me.

Im having an issue where addons arnt updating - they just hang - i think twitch broke something with their most recent update.

Here we go again. After a couple of months without this issue, just had it again today. I noticed the App had an update ready, I did it and then… TA-DA!! Several of my addons are now reporting updates available… to classic versions! And I’ve never even installed the classic version. This is annoying, and the fact that this is still happening makes me wonder if Twitch even tried to solve this, since it’s hitting every now and then for months already.

1 Like

Agree - twitch is very broken for me right now - i cant update half of them - it has installed both retail and classic versions to the same game folder (as if nothing is recognizing the difference between classic/retail) and some are still just hanging.

Same here, reinstalled the offending ones and the next day they were showing up as classic versions again

1 Like

Happened to me today.

1 Like

Happened to me. Wish this could get fixed!

Just happened to me =/

Where is this sync option? Has it happened to you again since you switched it off? Thanks