Twinks

What's the point of twinks? This isn't a troll post, really don't know what the point of having twinks is.
2 Likes
At the time of this post you are an iL 254 level 120 with level 85 and 47 trinkets. I don't like most twinks atm but I think they aim to be the exact opposite of your character.
12 Likes
Same person who said throwing bombs at the 3rd boss of Siege of Niuzao Temple during shield phase was a waste of time :x
I’m going to give my honest take on this. It will be long but I hope you find it useful.

People can twink for many different reasons, some of which aren’t so obvious from the outside. It’s important to point out at the offset that the traditional primary motivator in most RPGs at max level is to obtain better and better gear. And it’s also important to feel the effect of having better gear on your basic gameplay (better gear = you feel stronger).

With twinking, you’re essentially doing the same thing but at a lower level and because of this, the experience of gearing up is completely different than if you were to go through the gearing process at max level. Twinking at most levels involves getting gear from many different sources, whether its boss drops, quest rewards, BG crates, or just straight up farming mobs for hundreds of hours. With the introduction of item scaling this is even more varied. This is a far less structured way of obtaining gear than what Blizzard has in mind for everyone at max level and is arguably far more interesting and refreshing because of it.

With twinking, there is also a certain sense of “completion” that, for some people, isn’t always had at max level. What I mean by this is that once you farm all your gear for your twink character and get BIS or close to BIS gear, you feel like you’ve “completed” it for the foreseeable future. You then have lots of time to experience gameplay while having extremely good gear for your level.

The gearing process is short enough and/or varied enough to not burn a normal person out which imo happens to many people at max level. Consequently, they don’t always continue to play the game while feeling the effect of having better gear. Twinking allows for a shorter gearing up time and a longer “feeling powerful” gameplay time.

It also seems that at max level, getting gear is treated as the goal and playing the game is a means to achieve that goal. However, twinking seems to be the opposite. Playing the game while feeling powerful is the goal and getting gear is the means to achieve that. This is just how I see it, maybe I’m wrong in my perception here but it might be worth thinking about.

And finally, people like feeling powerful while playing the game, especially when you spend time/effort to “achieve” that feeling. When you obtain “better” gear in any game, you are going to want to feel some effect of that in your gameplay. This is the entire point of obtaining better gear. Without feeling the effects of having better gear, then there is no point in striving for it. And twinking cranks this up to 11.

This obviously results in a pretty big power gap between nontiwnks and twinks. Playing a twink and stomping on a nontwink is a part of the experience of feeling powerful. This is a natural consequence of wanting to put in time and effort to gearing up. This is not unlike gearing at max level, its just that the gap between players is much larger. I’m not defending this specific aspect of twinking, I’m simply explaining what it is and why it happens.

TL;DR
In conclusion, I think you can boil it down to these points:

-- Gearing at lower levels is an extremely refreshing and varied experience
-- Shorter gearing up time (compared to max lvl) and a longer time spent feeling the effects of having better gear
-- In general, spending time/effort to achieve something and actually feeling the effects of that time/effort expressed in your gameplay is very satisfying
-- Stomping on nontwinks (not necessarily the goal, just an extension of the above point)
15 Likes
Twinking has always been for people who can't handle max level. You ask twinks why they play at low level and they'll give some excuses why max lvl pvp is bad. The difference is leveling is for leveling not pretending it's endgame and pausing your experience farming BiS gear and enchants just to stomp levelers. At max level everyone is doing the same thing, gearing, so it's fine. Twinking has ruined the leveling experience since warsong gulch was released.
7 Likes
11/03/2018 12:27 AMPosted by Killyyx
Twinking has always been for people who can't handle max level.

Couldn't be any more wrong lol
11 Likes
11/03/2018 12:47 AMPosted by Diago
Twinking has always been for people who can't handle max level.

I should have said in most cases, but for any experienced max level player it doesn't make any sense to me why they would want to run around at lvl 29 with 3 abilities and 1 shot people over and over, really doesn't add up.
4 Likes
Max level gets boring, you wanna do something different, in this case this xpac is very poorly done, waiting for 8.1, might as well twink.
1 Like
11/03/2018 01:15 AMPosted by Diago
Max level gets boring, you wanna do something different, in this case this xpac is very poorly done, waiting for 8.1, might as well twink.
I appreciate your opinion, but I'll never understand how going back to low level, with 3 or 4 total abilities, and being completely overpowered with no challenge will make the game more fun, sounds extremely boring to me.
4 Likes
Twinking 70+ is nice more abilities easier to gear. I do it sometimes. It's easier than leveling another alt snd spending weeks gearing.
1 Like
Twinking has always been for people who can't handle max level. You ask twinks why they play at low level and they'll give some excuses why max lvl pvp is bad. The difference is leveling is for leveling not pretending it's endgame and pausing your experience farming BiS gear and enchants just to stomp levelers. At max level everyone is doing the same thing, gearing, so it's fine. Twinking has ruined the leveling experience since warsong gulch was released.
you are so wrong. Btw levelers ruined bgs, bgs are not your path to 120 nor should it be.
3 Likes

<span class="truncated">...</span>

I should have said in most cases, but for any experienced max level player it doesn't make any sense to me why they would want to run around at lvl 29 with 3 abilities and 1 shot people over and over, really doesn't add up.

Just because you don't understand why someone plays the game the way they do doesn't mean they are "wrong" to play that way. Perhaps you could look back at my post for some insight. I laid out some good reasons why people twink at lower levels, maybe you could learn something.
2 Likes

What about having fewer abilities/talent options is less boring to you than end game? Low level BG's aren't "something different," it's the same experience just with far more exaggerated balance issues.

At the end of the day, you want less competition from the enemy. You want to be matched with players who don't stand a chance- that's the long and short of it.

"Idk, end game is boring" is exactly the sort of vague deflection people default to in order to justify it.
4 Likes
It's very simple- I hate this game and I hate myself, so I make it my goal to make as many other people as possible hate both this game and myself.
3 Likes
11/03/2018 09:03 AMPosted by Erelir

What about having fewer abilities/talent options is less boring to you than end game? Low level BG's aren't "something different," it's the same experience just with far more exaggerated balance issues.

At the end of the day, you want less competition from the enemy. You want to be matched with players who don't stand a chance- that's the long and short of it.

"Idk, end game is boring" is exactly the sort of vague deflection people default to in order to justify it.

meh, not really a twink enthusiast but always done low level pvp at various brackets because it's just something different.
IDK, just feels different enough, sometimes you're in the mood for steak and sometimes you just want a burger.

But yeah there obviously are a substantial amount of people who deliberately choose the most broken low level classes and revel in running about 2 shotting everything. Not going to deny it

Twinking is a different experience precisely because there are fewer talent/ability options. I don't understand how you can't see that. Have you ever played lower level PvP?

The experience of playing at low levels is extremely different as well as the experience of gearing up a twink character. These things are even different between brackets. Twinking is effectively an entire domain of "content" that people can explore when they want something new and different.

And people routinely get bored with endgame content, including PvP. They are not "wrong" to want to try something new. And Twinking is an experience that is there available to them.
2 Likes

it's less boring because you're creating the illusion of success when playing versus new players or levelers. Success is usually not boring.

To be fair, the majority of the deflections are just grasping at straws. It's something people do when they feel cornered yet still do not want to tell the truth. Once it becomes repetitive, it's usually best to back off because you've won. All you're doing after that is causing them to resort to the final stage in their normal responses: trolling.
1 Like

Buddy I play a 60 warrior thats only missing intimidating shout, trust me theres nothing different from that and a max lvl warrior. Its a brainless mongo no matter what lvl is played.

I'm a casual mythic raider and been 2k multiple times. In WPVP I corpse camp people until they GY rez and receive a rage whisper right after. I'm not trying to avoid anything. And I already said once, I play strictly to see tears in these twink threads, so thx for giving me a reason.

End game is boring, theres nothing to do then 2 day raids and a repetitive grind of world quests that award nothing I already get in my weekly mythic + chest. If there's no rated play or raiding then might as well kill some scrubs then logoff.

Twinks are here to stay folks.
2 Likes
11/03/2018 07:04 AMPosted by Sun
bgs are not your path to 120 nor should it be.

Tell that to my heirloom trinket that gives me +50% exp specifically in bgs.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=126949/returning-champion
2 Likes
11/03/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Forums
Tell that to my heirloom trinket that gives me +50% exp specifically in bgs.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=126949/returning-champion

Enjoy the losing streak