Trying to pick a main for shadowlands

So I’m trying to come back to a guild I used to run with after years of not playing and I’d like to have the opportunity to make good impressions in 5 man content. I have to make it into 5 man content first though.
I like dpsing, I love offspec healing harder content or healing low impact content. I don’t like melee healing. Looked at priest and druid. Heard bad things about balance and I fear feral dps won’t be competitive enough for 5 man harder content. I fear that spriest doesn’t have alot of utility and that Holy won’t be worth bringing in M+ as dps is needed. Not the biggest fan or resto druid but I can manage, keybinding 18 billion hots that I need to pre-emptively throw on everything doesn’t feel super fun in practice. Considering shaman, but I am worried that I might not bring enough utility…
Anyone have any suggestions or counterpoints? If you LOVE one of these, please tell me what parts of it sings to you, I’d love to hear different perspectives.

Anyone that doesn’t play what they enjoy is a sucker or is in a top ten world raiding guild.

If you aren’t in a top ten raiding guild it doesn’t matter, no matter what Preach’s Parrots want to believe. Play what you like.

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is a feral dps won’t get passed up for a Mage or warlock? I know that even back in Wrath we did that kind of stuff for content that was even remotely challenging.

If you really can’t decide, why not ask your guild what they need most?

Nobody can really tell you what you will like, but your guild might give you some options to consider.

1 Like

I started on your server back when Dark Pact was 24th US guild. My first server was Bloodhoof, nice to see people from there still.

If you want to be told what is the most OP you can google that. Warlock looks strong as does Mage. Play one of those if you are a FotM player.

Since you are asking it stands to reason that you don’t do challenging content and it doesn’t matter in the end. Play what you enjoy. No one can tell you what will happen in every pug you try to join 4-5 months from now.

Are you looking for advice or reassurance that your FotM desires are well founded?

I am looking to make a good impression on people by being able to fill a need. I’d like to get that opportunity. Even if the guild I’m at is charitable for the most part and good-natured, I’d like to do some homework on what is most likely to give me the opportunity to leave a good impression. I don’t need to be the top DPS in every group. I don’t need to be the best healer that anyone’s ever known. I just want to be able to be given a chance in a guild that is rather large. At the start of an expansion , it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle.

If you’re talking about M+:

tank: BDK > monk/prot pally > everything else

heal: resto druid >>>>>>>> everything else

melee DPS: rogue >>>> everything else

ranged DPS: boomkin/lock/mage >>>> everything else

FOTM desires and community perceptions are largely grounded on ugly facts. Don’t try to ignore them and then be surprised when pugs start rejecting you (not you specifically).

Decent skill + strong spec >>>> decent skill + poor spec

1 Like

All classes can leave a good impression. I’ve played with every spec in this game in every season minus Affliction in one season and all of them were good/played well by some of the players. Classes numerically aren’t as imba as people make it seem minus Outlaw Rogues for a couple seasons.

There is no wrong answer.

2 Likes

I appreciate both of your perspectives. Mostly, because they are two well defined perspectives on the continuum that is common for a wow players that I have seen. Now, it’s up to me to figure out what to make of the information given to me.

FotM rerollers or requirements are more of a problem the higher up you go. If someone is asking what to play it is safe to assume they aren’t going quite that far.

FotM hysteria is largely overblown also. Enhancement Shaman has been good all expansion damage wise but everyone says it sucks. Those people can’t be reasoned with. Shaman DPS are missing an immunity/strong defensive CDs, people think they suck but have no idea why people don’t bring them and instead just parrot trash they hear elsewhere.

I play Unholy DK, I know what not being a FotM feels like. This Warrior is my worst progressed character and my Hunter is my most, DK is in the middle. I missed half of this season and was behind for months on gear and none of my old friends ran M+ with me because when I got back in May they were all 3k io or above.

Any class, any spec any player can succeed. FotM is just in players minds until they are in way higher keys. People can always run their own keys, just like you do.

OP, keep in mind the affects of multi speccing a class works in Shadowlands. With Covenants it is more…difficult to decide. One covenant might be good for DPS, okay for tank and trash for healer. Now you get one more thing to consider.

It’s way too early to be deciding what specs are gonna be best in M+, except for rogue obviously, since I can’t see them removing shroud between now and launch.

There’s every chance BDK gets nerfed to the ground, every chance hunter or ele is better than warlock etc, between now and then. Boomkins are currently trash.

2 weeks ago Brewmaster was the undisputed best tank, now they aren’t. And there is still 5 weeks to go.

1 Like

Yes and no.

BDK strength has been apparent for a while on beta compared to other tanks and I don’t see them being touched much, except for an irrelevant talent swap from mandatory ossuary to mandatory blood tap.

This expansion is obviously undead themed and the DK class fantasy is a big part of it. I don’t think they are going to gut the tanking spec of this class in such an expansion. Maybe they will be toned down a bit at best and still remain a top tier, or near top tier tank.

Boomkins are a utility machine in many ways that a hunter or ele or mage cannot offer. I saw a recent post on wowhead that maybe consumable brez is being added back in for level 60 (max SL) content. This will slightly hurt boomkin representation but not by much. Class brez is still superior. They still have good off healing, typhoon, stealth, soothe, survivability, etc. As a total package something like a shadow priest is a laughable joke in comparison.

Overall blizz is stressing restrictive unique utility in M+. Unfortunately they forget (or don’t care) that things like priest fortitude are not in the same universe of importance as lust, brez or shroud. Classes/specs with maximum utility will reap the design of this expansion unless something drastic changes. With release coming soon and no major changes expected that’s not likely.

Don’t worry, your resto druid dominance is well assured. The M+ healer representation will be worse than it was in BFA season 3. All of these M+ changes, both class and non-class based, will blow up epicly in blizzard’s face.

Adding a consumable brez is the dumbest thing Blizzard can do. Let me guess, they are leaving Shroud in the game?

Listening to player feedback is sometimes the worst thing Blizzard can do. I don’t want some guy that works at Autozone directing this game.

It’s really not though. Shroud is a big issue, but you have 3 DPS slots. So at least other DPS classes get a shot at accompanying your rogue. No engi Brez means that healers only have 1 class choice.

Enough specs bring Brez, one class brings Shroud. Is the problem easier to see now?

Tanks and DPS can also bring brez…it’s not like the healer has to bring it.

I agree shroud is a problem, if you can’t see why bres is a problem then you don’t understand the game.

Brez isn’t a problem and if you think brez is more of a problem than shroud you are clueless about the game.

You’re the person that intimated earlier that only healers can brez for Christ’s sake.

I didn’t say that at all. Not only are you lacking in game understanding, but you also have problems with reading comprehension.

You said you have to play Resto Druid if you want to heal. Idiotic statement that you made.

You think an ability THAT ONLY ONE CLASS HAS is not as big of a deal as an ability that 3 classes have? If you say yes you are a joke.