Tried coming back, too awful, quit an hour later

My advice to you is to attempt to reset your perspective.
Take mental inventory about what the game offered to you in the past and what made you love it then.

Search out the core of that thing, or list of things, and find the elements of it in the game today if you can.

If you can not, then the game is no longer for you, and that is regrettable, but at least it can help you have a healthier relationship with that fact.

I imagine for most though, they simply have what feels like an abusive relationship with the game, and deep down inside do not want to enjoy it.
Certainly, some one who could not derive more than 1 full hour of enjoyment from the game makes me think they would be in that boat right?

Like, I mean how was it possible to even interact with all these systems within that short of a time?

If you or anyone else has any questions regarding any of these bullet points, let me know.

I believe the secret to my enjoyment of this game over a very long period is understanding what is and isn’t important in the game to me, and I believe much of what is listed would be perfect examples of either side of that!