Trial Of Style: Are these fixes in place yet?

I think the following would benefit Trial of Style’s integrity:

1. Do not allow players to queue in groups.
  2. For each round a player doesn’t vote, mark two votes against themselves.
6 Likes

Doesn’t it just auto vote for the person you have highlighted?

15 Likes

I think another fix though can be:

If you don’t match the theme, you’re disqualified from finishing in the top 3.

7 Likes

I don’t think that grouping really matters. Because I have been in groups where everyone vote bombed for the one that WASN’T in the group. So I don’t think that is the main issue. and yes if you don’t vote it Autovotes whoever you highlight.

It’s a fun thing, and it’s okay if you don’t always win something. There’s been times I had not won anything for seven rounds, to where I won first three times in a row (and I wasn’t even trying, go figure)

5 Likes

I love a good mog off, but I think you might be taking Trial a Style a bit to seriously. Integrity…really?

13 Likes

Observers should be allowed, and only they can vote.

6 Likes

In terms of a “fair vote”, yes, that’s how it should be done. A group participating and a group judging. No incentive from the participants to rig the vote to favor themselves.

However, this is a short term light hearted bit of fun. No one REALLY wants to be shoved into the “not participating” role. They’ll just leave and eat deserter or whatever and hop on a different character.

It’s the same reason we don’t see them restricting premades and such despite obvious wintrading issues. It’s just not that serious of a thing. It’s Trial of Style.

As much as I hate seeing people abuse things, this isn’t the sort of content that it needs to be addressed with a heavy hand in. It’d just make it a worse experience for the average player.

4 Likes

ToS is, like the defunct Brawler’s Guild, one of the few parts of the game where spectatorship could be both workable, and as fun as participating in.

4 Likes

The game already auto-votes for whoever that player was looking at in that case.

5 Likes

I think the solution to point #1 should be a little more nuanced than just not allowing groups. Queued parties only voting for their own members, rigging the results is not a good thing; however, we shouldn’t also want players that want to play and compete in the Trial of Style with their friends and guildmates to be really punished for wanting to play together in an MMO. I think a nicer idea is a smarter queue along with the ability to just enter a party alone into ToS without involving the queue:

2 Likes

I have to add to this, banning groups will cause a drop in participants, in an already-optional very limited time event where the faster the queue the better the overall experience. When my ex and I played together, it was our favorite activity-- we loved seeing each other try to match the theme, we loved talking about other mogs and our favorites and whose mog we wanted to see win. It was all good, clean fun. I know there are some bad apples and bum rounds, but people are going to find ways to cheat the system regardless. At least ToS gives you a participant reward, and two or three of those boxes gives enough currency to buy something from the vendor.

9 Likes

It’s just a fun little dress up contest

How on earth does an automated system figure this out lmao

7 Likes

You let players decide if someones fitting the theme or not. If players vote that someone isn’t then they are out.

Heavy Sarcasm.

Me voting to kick the person with the best mog so maybe I win :dracthyr_love_animated: :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated: :dracthyr_yay_animated:

7 Likes

How would that work though? “Theme” is pretty nebulous and you would only be hurting the majority of participants if you tried to force arbitrary guidelines upon it.

3 Likes

It’s fine the way it is. Even if you never even place 3rd, it won’t take long to get enough currency for all the mogs; assuming this wasn’t your first rodeo.

I played alts until i got the 300 style tokens for the 200 trading post tokens.

In my humble opinion there was only one match where i thought the best two mogs didn’t win, well one of them got third. I don’t think it was even a premade. I think i just got matched with some nerds that purposely voted for bad mogs to increase their chances. My mog got first that time, and while i think it was a good mog, there were definitely 2 others that had the theme down better. It took me about 10 times to get 300 tokens.

If 9 out of 10 matches were good events, i can’t complain. The one match that I didn’t agree with was even good, so 10/10 were good for me.

2 Likes

No, Blizzard thinks it’s fine the way it is and the people that agree are more likely than not queuing with friends to cheat.

Because that makes this event fun. Cherry on top is the debuff you get for leaving when you see a group of friends.

Disagree. I love queueing with friends. We aren’t there to vote for each other. We’re there to have fun together and with others.

Why? The game votes for them.

3 Likes

How is the game going to know if your mog matches the theme?

2 Likes

I was the biggest Dippy fan there was. If that Penguin was fighting ANYONE, I don’t care, I was cheering for them to lose. It became a Meme in my friend circles, and we even had a guild at one point called “Dippy Fan Club”. I miss that place.

3 Likes