Transmog cost removal time has come

Help combat inflation.

Making people spend our infinitely generateable gold.

No, I’m referring to Alchemy at large. Flasks literally exists for the sole purpose of being a consumable to drain people’s gold in order to combat inflation. Alchemy is the number one profession to do this, number two is Enchanting (which is why Disenchanting as an ability and concept is also never going to go away), and number three is Jewelcrafting (see us not being able to extract gems from gear).

Nope. Large costs yes, smaller ones no.

You don’t buy a token to get a few flasks a month, but there are some folks who use the auction house (another gold drain as the auction house fees aren’t going to go away either) to buy larger items. So no, transmogrification, Alchemy, reagents in general … all of that has no impact on the token except a completely negligible one.

But if folks want to buy gear for a new character and want to opt for expensive raid BoEs … then yes, folks do buy the token for that. Remember, the keyword here is “for” and not “I bought a token so I would have gold to spend on random knickknacks.” At that point you are buying the token for convenience, and not for any one singular item making each individual (or collectively all of them) have a negligible impact.

Doesn’t do that. You need specifically target the rich for that.

I feel like it has a bigger effect on the amount of times people transmog rather than draining gold.

These don’t remove gold (well mostly, excluding the minor AH fees) they move gold around.

People have been complaining about the cost of consumables for raids and M+ for ages. Now I don’t think that specifically is what people most buy the token for, but I do think that draining people’s gold consistently like that contributes. My point was that there probably usually isn’t one single expense (unless it’s a supposed specific “gold sink”) that makes someone buy a token, but a combination of multiple factors.

You can’t fix an economy by making things more draining on the poor. You can only fix it by targeted and strong impacts on specifically the rich. All they’re doing with transmog costs, gold sink mounts and expensive warbank tabs is making it inaccessible to the have nots.

Phials are dirt cheap.

Gold rains from the sky here. Maybe try playing the game and you won’t be broke?

1 Like

personally, Id rather they lowered the gold payouts for questing and just drop the gold cost for mogging entirely.

I can only run so many quests a day…but sometimes I swap mog sets a few times before Im happy with it. 500+ gold per swap is a bit much.

:+1:
which is clearly the result of their handing out gold like candy, not mogging.
They have to know that all that gold pay out is just increasing the total gold in the economy…and mogging aint gonna make an AH goblin who is hording up all that gold mog himself into bankruptcy.
And I see players running around in ragged out, mismatched mogs all the time…not the sort who is paying mogging costs very much, lol.

Ditch the cost. Drop the questing gold payout maybe 15% to balance it out and then maybe another 40% to stop flooding the game with gold that will end up in bank accounts of players who sit and flip all day driving the prices of everything on the AH to the sky.

Ohhhh…but that means that new players wont be able to easily level professions so they’ll be buying tokens in a lot of cases if they are in a rush.
I get it…

There are plenty of ways to create gold sinks in the game without forcing it on something like transmogging.

Vendors and repairs can easily suffice, increase repair costs add vendors who supply valuable goods that cost gold. People acting like the transmog system is the only way to create a gold sink.

I have personally no issues with phials ever. After raids and dungeons each week I net positive. Now I don’t transmog as often as I’d like cause the cost does feel prohibitively expensive. My critique of the economy is much bigger than one specific part that I don’t even partake in, due to being an alchemist on my main.

My point is that mig costs are fine.

The expensive item are weapons.

I’d rather they not gut the vendor price of things because mog costs are based off vendor prices, but think some of you guys either need to spend a few hours a week making gold or stop mogging sixteen times a day because it’s not expensive unless that’s what you’re doing.

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize understanding a game concept was suddenly such a bad thing that it warranted a random insult.

You claimed the AH is a gold sink. It’s not. That’s player gold changing hands, not gold being removed from the economy.

Yes. And my feedback was given. You chose to make snide remarks towards me. Not the other way around.

Because Remix doesn’t have a gold economy.

I’ve specifically asked people where that gold sink should be moved to if it’s removed from transmog and durability. That was either ignored or given snide remarks. :dracthyr_shrug:

It’s free twice a year during trial of style for a full week. Go nuts.

A gold sink is required, and kind of nice that they shifted some of it from repairs, which used to be a very costly endeavor with how little daily quests gave back in TBC.

It gives weight to your in game decisions without boxing anyone out. That’s an important spect to keep I think - otherwise it doesn’t mean as much to the player. What cost do you recommend? Because I’m not down for farming a mog only currency… Having a cost isn’t a bad thing, it means you invested something in that choice.

2 Likes

You were just telling another poster to learn what MMO-inflation is and then you say this?

Maybe it is you who should…

It does that, because MMOs aren’t the same as general economics. When you generate gold in a MMO, you effectively just print it. Kill a NPC, it has gold, or stuff to sell. Give it a bit of time and it respawns and now you have more gold.

MMO-inflation is a different kind of inflation compared to real world economics.

Your feelings have very little to do with this, sorry.

You drink a flask, you disenchant gear you would’ve otherwise sold to generate a smaller amount of gold through enchanting (which will often require materials from the auction house or is sold on the auction house), and when you get new gear you need new gems. You do this last one the least so that’s why it is the smallest impact in regards to this topic.

Want to know the best ways to earn gold in WoW historically and currently?
Mission tables and transmog runs. Unless you have a group of people because then you can sell stuff like boosting services at which point you may make a lot or much less gold via that.

This is largely irrelevant, because people are typically quite happy when they are able to buy reusable augment runes (when these have been a thing). Which is another gold sink. Where the reward you can have with those is that at the end of an expansion, you have a reusable consumable that you don’t typically use for very long.

Sorry but people being unhappy about consumables is just the nature of folks complaining for the sake of complaining. These are the same people who would complain regardless of whether their grievances were met or not because then they’d just complain about something else (in other games this is usually gold related as folks then complain that their gold is so deflated in worth that it is useless).

Like I said, the token is only directly influenced by large purchases. Small purchases has a completely negligible impact on it. If you want a real world example, since you don’t seem to be accepting an in-game answer:
People don’t take out loans to buy candy. Folks buy candy as a small expense that over the course of years will amass to a HUGE amount of money. But folks can and do take out both larger and smaller loans for individual objects.

Whilst digital MMO-economics don’t work directly like classic economics, this example is true for MMOs in general. There are exceptions but those exceptions are rare enough where they fall into the negligible category.

Here’s the thing that you don’t get though:
No one in-game is poor, we are all infinitely rich - because that’s how infinitely generateable wealth and income works.

Whether people go out of their way to make gold in-game or not is a personal choice. This isn’t like traditional economics at all, this is the biggest deviation from it. Because in classic economics you can only have ONE actor print money … but in a MMO, EVERYONE is printing money.

We are infinitely rich but this largely depends on whether people choose to participate in activities that generate gold or not. This is why MMO-inflation is a specific type of inflation that is only applicable to MMOs and why it is such an interesting area of study. Like here’s the thing: WoW’s gold inflation may look absolutely ridiculous but even after almost 20 years, gold still matters. We can still purchase things on an auction house for gold and heck we can even pay our subscription with it.

Most MMOs where you can generate gold (killing NPCs) has an economical model that falls apart after a few years, or one expansion, or one minor to large bug that allows for let’s say item duplication. WoW is still a game where gold matters and that’s after almost 20 years worth of folks actively playing the game. That’s almost entirely unheard of for any MMO.

So yes, these micro expenses and gold sinks do in fact work. Because if they didn’t, we’d be talking about buying flasks with crests, tradeable goods like gems/leather/etc., or whatever random grey item people collectively decided to start using rather than gold.

Yes. Because the token doesn’t generate any gold. Meaning it has no bearing on MMO-inflation.

Nah’.

Still you. For propagating a misconception only propagated by online trolls.

I agree. As a hopeless cheapskate, it pains me to spend money on T-Mog.

Those grummies on my mount should be paying me for the free transport I’m providing.

I wouldn’t care if they got rid of it. Just put more mounts, pets, toys and mogs on vendors for gold. That can be their smaller hold sinks.

I feel like at the very least we need a system where we can set an appearance and automatically apply it to gear and the cost comes we want to actually change our look vs getting a new gear piece and having to change it to the appearance you need for your mog.

People want the true end game to be totally free? The entitlement!

While this is true and you do indeed need some way for gold to exit the economy, and systems like this help for that when the spread is more equal, it won’t really do anything right now. Honestly, I expect more people to farm more gold if they need to pay for stuff like this (and there for it having a null effect) or buying a token every once in a while. Which does take some gold out of the economy, but well…

I meant that as “I have no hard date for this, but I assume”. I feel like that is pretty common English.

Non of these are gold sinks. Maybe I could give you DE’ing. But that’s more a limiter on gold gain rather than a sink. (Though maybe that’s just semantics) Flasks and gems are minus a tiny fee just gold rotation.

I agree that large purchases are probably a large part of token sales. I won’t agree that (especially when prices are high) raid and M+ consumable don’t play a significant part.

No. Rich and poor are relative, also if blizz introduces a new feature that costs 2.5M gold if you’re not available to effort that you’re poor. Generating that income still costs time. Which we don’t have infinite off…

The economy is still totally broken. Maybe we have a different definition of when an economy is broken, but if there’s people able to easily bit gold cap on a BMAH mount and some people feel transmog is too expensive there’s something wrong. If blizz is offering a bank tab for 2M gold, while some people struggle to afford repair bills and consumables, something is wrong.

I never said tokens generate gold. I said gold sinks increase WoW token sales.

Increased demand for gold (e.g. transmog costs) = increased demand for tokens
Increased demand for tokens will increase token sales.

Demand is an important part of the inflation equation as is money supply.

Technically, they must have activated a “Cost = 0” buff, because transmogging items with low or zero value (such as heirlooms) on retail normally has a minimum cost of 1 gold.

I think some of you folks are missing the point on targeting the rich.

The rich aren’t rich because of no reason… they’re rich because they don’t spend.

Adding something mega desirable to a vendor as a gold sink isn’t going to affect them because they probably won’t want it anyways since it dents their hoard, but the poor folks will whine and whine that they can’t afford it.