Transferring character to another account: How does this work?

Hi!

I have two accounts:

OG Account (Called account A for easy reference - hadn’t logged in for 9 years/Firelands)
New account made for WoW Classic and ended up playing retail on (Called account B)

If I want to move a character from account A to account B, will I get that specific character’s mounts and achievements?

This character in specific is the one who earned the achievements.

I’d expect account A (OG) to lose these achievements given the transferred character who obtained said achievements/mounts is no longer on said account. They would be on account B instead.

Would B’s characters then get said achievements from character on account A being transferred?

I think this is the sensible way it ought to work given you wouldn’t want to duplicate achievements/collections; seems like this could be taken advantage of. Instead, the actual achievements, mounts and titles carry over from one account to the other based on the character. Hoping it’s already that way.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to figure out how to move one character over who holds a lot of sentimental value to me with mounts, etc. that I cannot get anymore (Old ZG raptor and such) to benefit account B.

Thanks!

1 Like

Accounts in this case will be called licenses. Your email is the “Account” on Battle. net, your “License” is on the account.

If license A and B are on the same Bnet account, nothing will be lost.

If license A and B are on different Bnet accounts, then most items are bound to the original account.

3 Likes

Oh yikes. So I wouldn’t gain what I’d like by doing this.

That’s really too bad; it should be based on the character that the achievement is documented from, and removal should be from account A when said character is transferred to account B. Makes sense, no?

People shouldn’t be penalized for making a new account 9-10+ years later when they initially forgot their credentials, jumped into the rush of Classic and then retained their OG account later on… Only to realize they are stuck with two accounts that need to be totally separate due to whatever limitations are in place for Blizzard’s backend to do a comprehensive character transfer.

Guess I won’t be doing this or paying for the sub to account A if the limitations are an attempt to keep two accounts going. Will stick with account B. Thanks!

Some things are character bound, but most are not.

Again, if A and B are on the same Battle. net account, then nothing is lost, so I guess that is a question I was asking. Do you have one account you log in with one email account, and two licenses, or two email accounts?

1 Like

You might have a look at this article.

• Your account-wide achievements won’t transfer. Only achievements that are character-specific may transfer
  • Your items in the Collections tab won’t transfer. Only mounts and pets earned by this character as a reward for a character-specific achievement may transfer
2 Likes

They used to do transfers the way you are suggesting. However, people were selling (against the rules) chars that had titles/achievements etc. It let people get things they did not earn through nefarious ways.

Now just about everything is Bnet account bound because of the shady people. It is not that Blizz can’t do it, it is that they had to stop.

4 Likes

That’s really too bad that others ruined it for people like me who would like to connect old characters to new accounts and enjoy the sentimental achievements we got in our younger days.

And these are two totally separate battle.net accounts.

If anything, I hope Blizzard can find a way moving forward to transfer characters from different accounts with the same name/address/etc and still benefit from their past achievements, mounts, titles while stripping the old account of it.

It’s sad in a way that because of said people, after this weekend, I’ll be closing the book on my ‘past life’ again in-game. This weekend will be fun for proper closure.

Thank you all for helping me out here. And Blizzard: There’s many other people like me as I addressed this with other players on my Discord who started new accounts and quit roughly the same time as me (Cata/Firelands seems to be the popular time, apparently??). Take our money and ensure the honest people who are doing this for sentimental reasons can be happy too. All the while achieving the goal of stopping individuals who ‘buy’ things they did not personally experience on another account from doing so.

There must be some sort of happy medium to do this and verify the identity of the person checking out on both accounts. More money from this transaction in the pockets of Blizzard, more happy, honest players and happy nostalgia on one account to boot.

Regards,
Deer

Out of curiosity, why would you start a new account if you knew you had an old one that you are able to access?

Many people are unaware they can get help from CS to access their accounts even when they forgot the email and password used. It is not uncommon for people to just start over on a new Bnet, especially when all that is required for Classic is a subscription, not purchased games.

4 Likes

Put in a suggestion. A lot of things change over time and some day they may figure out how to merge BattleNet accounts.

Heck someday they may be able to merge EU and US accounts.

Time will tell.

They “could” merge NA and EU accounts now, but the EU laws will not allow them to do so.

1 Like

They can’t. The two were not created to allow it. It’s not as simple as players think it is.

It was addressed last year around Blizzcon
https://www.wowhead.com/news=316849/roundup-of-all-the-shadowlands-announcements-from-the-press-event-this-week

Technical Issues: There are a lot of complications preventing US and EU servers from being merged from a technical perspective and international exchange rates.

5 Likes

All - Thank you for the insight! I will submit a suggestion.

i was under the impression if you can prove you pay for both you can transfer characters between accounts not on the same b-net.

Missed an important part of that post, so ignore me I was wrong :sweat_smile:

Paying for an account does not prove ownership of that account. Anyone may pay for a subscription/game time. That doesn’t give them rights to that account if they do.

Transfers can only be done between accounts that you are registered to.

5 Likes

What about completing the transfer the other way. Transfer your Classic Characters to your live account. This should accomplish what you want as you old live account all of your achieves.

Not too sure what you mean here. If you mean transferring characters from the Classic version of WoW to the Retail version, there’s no option to do that whatsoever.

4 Likes

As Perl mentioned, this isn’t possible. WoW Retail and WoW Classic are treated as completely separate games.

1 Like

I had the same problem. My old Battle.net account would not work. When Blizzard announced Classic and offered everyone the chance to get in and reserve their names weeks/months before the release of Classic, I immediately jumped at the chance, I just went ahead and started a new account after the frustration. My gamer tag has been the same for over 20 years even before WOW. I didn’t really think about my old battle.net account that was on retail until 10 months after Classic was released and I had finished all the content. I was bored one day and decided to give Retail a shot. I had also seen the first trailer release for Shadowlands, which I thought looked awesome. The offer for signing up early was enticing too. I was pleased to see how much different the gameplay was and I decided to come back to retail. I got in touch with Blizzard Customer support to try and find my old account.

It took them a while but they found out my account had been hacked and stolen from me. In that time period, it had been sold twice. But it still retained the original achievements, mounts, etc. I only had two real characters on that account and lots of early achievements (post-Blizzard having a data loss issue.) Customer Support was very kind and transferred that account to my email account and opened the account for one full week with no charge. I was allowed to transfer those two characters for free also because they showed mounts and pets. My professional skills transferred also. Only my account-wide achievements were transferred. My Captain level from my early PVP days transferred. My garrison and my personal titles also changed over. I did lose some more specific data like running dungeons and reputation. But for some reason, I maintained my Cenarion reputation. It was weird.

I ended up keeping that account and paying for it separately but under a different battle.net account. Because I do nothing but PVP on that account I wanted to make sure those lines were separated and at no time were those I did PVP content with could see me online while I was doing PVE stuff. Recently because of the ability to have two accounts under one battle.net, I’ve been thinking about moving them together because I just don’t care. I’m older and firmer in my “No” than I used to be. I was looking for details when I found this post because I wanted to find out exactly what I would lose if I didn’t do it with the benefit of a Customer Support person.