Traditional or non traditional Thanksgiving?

Brown gravy!

2 Likes

We do a traditional thanksgiving but this year is a little different. We are celebrating tomorrow (Friday) instead of today. We had to travel out of state and drive 10+ hours so we moved dinner to the next day.

2 Likes

I know tons of people that do this and have Thanksgiving on Friday or Saturday! Or they have multiple Thanksgiving with the big get together being later in the week

2 Likes

What is this sorcery of which you speak?

Heads for google.

3 Likes

Youā€™ve never had cream gravy?!

1 Like

Oh, this is that stuff you put on like fried pork, right?

Or scrapple?

2 Likes

Yeah see it a lot with fried chicken, chicken fried steak, stuff like that. But I love it with taters too

1 Like

Ours is made with roux from turkey drippings, so I do both. The darkness comes from how long you cook the flour in the pan :slight_smile: take half out while the roux is only mildly toasted for white gravy. Keep stirring & roasting the rest for brown.

Now if youā€™re asking beef, pork or poultry gravyā€¦ I donā€™t have it in me to do all 3.

1 Like

Brown gravy is only good if itā€™s from KFC.

1 Like

I had scrapple once when I traveled for a wedding.

Me: ā€œThisā€¦ (pause)ā€¦ ((pause))ā€¦ thisā€¦ meatā€¦ is grey.ā€

Friend: ā€œItā€™s supposed to look like that. Itā€™s fine.ā€

3 Likes

Idk what that is, but it looksā€¦ interesting lol.

This be what I normally eat it with:

3 Likes

The scrapple I wasā€¦ (pause)ā€¦ servedā€¦ looked nothing like that.

But those green beans look wonderful!

2 Likes

Had to edit lmao, I didnā€™t know what Scrapple was. Iā€™ve never heard of thatā€¦ I donā€™t think iā€™d choose to eat that.

The pictures is chicken fried chicken

1 Like

This is approximate.

But it looks far worse in person.

2 Likes

Non-traditional Thanksgiving, Iā€™m gay and I do Friendsgiving since I have a lot of queer friends who canā€™t go home for Thanksgiving.

Iā€™m making this Thai chicken and rice dish called Khao Man Gai, looks like this

5 Likes

No family nearby and I usually have to work anyway. Just me and my wife. I bought a spiral ham and we will have some typical veggies and potatoes. Wife will cook it because Iā€™m going to bed soon. Iā€™ll take it with me when I go in to work tonight.

3 Likes

Three cheers for Ham!

2 Likes

2 Likes

havenā€™t had (Parks) Scrapple since 2014. when i lived in Philippines this was the closest equivalent:

btw this yearsā€™ thanksgiving at my house was brought to me from Fresh Market

2 Likes

Olivier Potato Saladā€¦
Pelmeni (Meat Dumplings)
Kulebyaka (salmon)
Kholodets (jellied meat dish)
Piroshki (Meat Hand Pies)

For desert
Pryaniki

We do more of Russian Holiday tradition on thanksgiving and have more of a normal american Christmas food on Christmas

3 Likes