Toxic Community left unchecked

I rolled the dice on whether to give this game a shot again because I could not remember all the reasons I left in the first place. So I purchased shadowlands and started playing again. I have only been back for 2 days and am consistently coming across toxic players in any dungeon I random q’d in. I’m watching people get kicked for nothing (dungeon starts someone moves 5 feet, then the kick spam begins), kicked because someone’s dps is “not up to par” in these low level dungeons, or kicked just because they dont want to compete against someone else using the same class.
Now (from what I have seen so far) the community operates/gatekeeps group content in this game. The “dungeon finder” does not function as intended, and unless your running meta while screaming at your teammate to support the toxic environment; the community will not allow you to play group content and you will be kicked.

In 2 days, I have only completed 1 dungeon. I have been kicked for some of the most ridiculous things. I never comment towards the players kicking me. And the worst part is that the toxic environment is supported. There is no in game way to report players for harassment or abuse, and there is no option when trying to submit a ticket online either.

/end of rant. I have submitted a ticket for a refund on this game. Apparently my purchase does not qualify even though its been less than a week. I cant play any group content and there are no moderators keeping the community in check.

17 Likes

I don’t usually see it getting that bad, but it is still fairly often bad, and there’s a lot of people who are downright antisocial in the clinical sense.

8 Likes

I’ve been playing for 17 years without any lapse in sub and pugging dungeons since LFD came into existence.

I’ve come across this stuff so rarely that I don’t know if people who say the above are being dramatic or just got a run of bad luck.

Most dungeons I run, no one talks, they speed run, say “thanks” and leave.

35 Likes

I see someone get kicked maybe a 1/10 dungeon runs and it is usually because of a DC or them just standing at the entrance. No one cares about queueable dungeons.

I agree that there is a lot of toxicity in this game. In queueable dungeons? In 2 days you have only completed 1? hmmmm. Sounds like bullogna.

15 Likes

Are we talking pre 60 dungeons? Hell even N/H I don’t see anyone getting kicked unless you’re goofing big time.

What have you been kicked for OP?

In pre 60, or even 60 H/N you just need to follow and hit stuff, no one actually cares the runs are that fast.

So to be kicked multiple times, sounds like you’re doing something pretty wrong?

Even accidentally face pulling a couple packs isn’t gonna cause any major issues in those dungeon?

Are you dps and accidentally queuing as a healer or something?

2 Likes

It’s not like that at all. You just ran into some bad apples.

3 Likes

I guess I’m just really lucky. I seldom come across this type of behavior in the game. I’ve been playing since vanilla, too.

2 Likes

I can only think of one incident of intense toxicity (ironically from someone named Toxic) in the month and a half that I have been back.

I actually thought it had become better in part due to the low population currently. Generally everyone has gone above and beyond to be helpful to me when I mention I am new to an area, or just need help with something.

To the multiple people who gave me taxi services, without even being asked, until I got flying in ZM I salute you.

1 Like

The only time i come across toxicity is from certain servers. Illidan, tich, rag, azralon, quel’thalas, one on wyrmrest and area 52.

Other than that. Its mostly on the forums where people constantly complain about this meta or mdi or mythics or whatever nonsense as if thats the most important thing in this game.

2 Likes

Try, and I mean actually try your best, at finding a good guild that’ll take you in with graces.

Trust me when I say that a good guild makes your experience a lot better in the game in its current state.

I mean i would open my guild up to others but no one in this game is trustworthy

2 Likes

You must have joined a Farming group… who wants to kill Bosses fast and get over with it.

Why not join a “Progression Group” who accomodates people learning how to kill a Boss? These are the group you need to join.

Progression Groups are getting smaller in numbers every week especially at the later stages of the Expansion. They are numerous when the Expansion just started. Where were you when most people are on Progression groups? It looks like you missed the bus. It’s not my fault.

Everytime I see these posts it’s just wild to me how I almost never run into anything like this. Since TBC. Idk people are usually just silent.

3 Likes

Have you ever fell behind in a dungeon? Pulled a mob by accident? Didn’t do enough damage in a low level dungeon that you can solo on most characters? The “speed” running is part of the problem. If you can’t keep up, it’s adios.

I’m calling BS on all of this.

You are exaggerating something here, and not telling us the entire story. Likely, you are conflating a single incident to blanket generalize the entire community, probably because after your single incident you came to the forums to look around, saw what a bunch of other people have said, and are now using everyone else’s bad experiences as your own to justify your “rant”.

At best, you had a single group, probably with two people, one high-level gear running a lower-level player through something, and you fouled up badly and got kicked as a result.

Here’s my advice: Try again. I seriously doubt your story, and I think you are going overboard about how “bad” things are, or at least the way you perceived them to be.

7 Likes

That’s honestly not true. I’ve watched people get kicked out of dungeons for face-pulling something ONCE. It’s honestly ridiculous.

I don’t doubt that, it shouldn’t cause any major problems though - I’d be lying if I said I haven’t seen it. It’s rare though.

Tbh I wish it happened more,

One of my favourite leveling escapades is once the arguing starts because x player did something wrong and y player doesn’t like it

I initiate the kick but kick Y player with the description of X players mistake and 9/10 they kick the wrong guy and I have a chuckle and we just carry on and finish the run

The toxic level 31 warrior gets a time out and I have some entertainment, esp when the /w’s start

2 Likes

I am gonna say dramatic.

Thought when I do see this stuff, I usually noticed the background of the player is blue

Yep.

Yep.

Never tried to solo a lowbie dungeon as a lowbie. But I do have low DPS on some characters. So yep.

Rarely run into this. I don’t even run into speed runs as much as everyone claims, either. For me, it’s about a 60/40 split.

In most runs, it’s honestly very true.

1 Like

Not buying this. There is another angle to the story we’re not getting.

5 Likes