Too many buttons

I have thought about doing that before.

The things that have come up though is hitting my modifiers (shift and caps locks [rebound to alt on my gaming keyboard profile]), tab target (tab for player and ` for enemy npc), arena1 (1) and arena2 (2). When i briefly tried the position without actually changing the keybinds in practice, I did not have the comfort to extend my pinky finger for those specific binds.

Maybe it takes practice to get used to? I am not sure. It is definitely something I would be willing to try again if the keybinds needed required me to do so.

Resto shaman has a lot.

Most of your talents aren’t passives like other specs.

I think you gain atleast 4 extra buttons just from talents.

2 Likes

I am against baking anything in.

I use to like passives but it turns the game into cruise control.

Rather have more buttons to use than have to move my character more at the cost of passive damage.

1 Like

yeah that’s why I said 20-30. 20 was more towards enhancement and elemental. the 30 was for resto since healing usually has more abilities and a lot of macros.

Tiqqle made a video yesterday breaking down the enhancement rotation into very simple steps. For someone like me who is still getting used to it, it helped me smooth it out even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_eArx3I7fE

1 Like

For enhance, I count about 30 buttons worthy of a keybind. Add potions, trinkets, borrowed power abilities and you’re getting closer to 40. Add targeting (target enemy, target enemy player, target friendly, target friendly player, target earth ele), shield swap, focus cast macros for heals/purge/windshear/hex, a few cast sequence macros (e.g., earthbind followed by capacitor, warstomp followed by hex), a couple totem drop at feet macros for placement totems, and it’s more like ~60 for me.

I use mouse buttons for alt and ctrl to get my modifies so I don’t have to reach for the actual alt and ctrl keys to get my modifiers.

1 Like

I’m not sure Tiqqle is right on the ST rotation.

He’s suggesting using melee abilities first, then MSW at 5+ stacks, then shocks.

I would have thought for ST it’s more: Flame shock on approach then SS then shocks then LL/CL w/MSW when almost capped on MSW which is consistent with wordup’s guide on wowhead.

Basically, you save the longer CD stuff/less frequent stuff for when the shorter CD/more frequent stuff is on CD. Although SS has a longer CD then shocks, it has higher priority because it’s subject to CD reset procs via stormbringer.

Wordup’s recommended ST rotation:

ST rotation:

1. Cast Windfury Totem if not currently active.

2. Cast Lightning Bolt if at 8 stacks or more of Maelstrom Weapon.

3. Apply Flame Shock if it isn’t currently active.

4. Cast Stormstrike.

5. Cast Feral Spirit.

6. Cast Flame Shock if it has less than 5 seconds remaining.

7. Cast Frost Shock.

8. Cast Lava Lash.

9. Cast Crash Lightning.

10. Cast Lightning Bolt if you have at least 5 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon and nothing else ready.

11. Refresh Windfury Totem if nothing else is available.

AOE:

3 Likes

so let me give you a little run down of my binds since everyone is different.

AWD is movement. strafe left, walk forward, strafe right.
Q- binding for my trinket
ShiftQ- trinket or something else
E- for my burst
ShiftE- main defensive
R- for racial usually
F- for mobility (alter time)
ShiftF- more mobility (blink)
S- mobility or ports. on my monk
ShiftS
X, C, V - target friendly arena 1, 2 , me
T is my target nearest enemy player
9- usually my kick, have Alt macro also bound to this so i can click 9 to kick main target and hold alt-9 to kiick my focus. another way to bind multiple buttons.

=
with shift varients of all of those. along with alt varients. and ctrl variants.

ctrl varients of 1 2 3 are arena 1,2,3 enemy CC, 4, 5, 6 are arena 1, 2 ,3 kick
ctrl 7, 8 , 9 are target arena enemy 1 2 3
ctrl 10, - ,= are focus target arena enemy 1 2 3

There are plenty of buttons… im not even using the M keys on my keyboard for modifiers. I have liike 45 binds. and hell yeah it took me a while to learn… probably the first season of WoD. I went from clicking since vanilla. to all keybinds, but it worked :slight_smile:

Ya, if you look at their list of binds they ignored a lot of key abilities in their list: wind shear, hex, tremor, earthbind, capacitor, feral spirit, purge/cleanse, spirit walk, healing stream, elemental, bloodlust…

plus windrush, sundering ( or stormkeeper), ascendance (or earthen spike) depending on talents

Toss in potions, healtshtone, possibly 2 on use trinket effects, racial ability, 2 covenant abilities, assist/focus macro, profession stuff (especially engineering) and definitely kissing 40 essential keybinds… then another couple dozen things that aren’t critical on sidebars for clicking (lightening shield/imbues (macro), food, flask, glider, hearths, far sight, rez, etc)

What blows my mind is that people actually wanted this, they wanted to be “unpruned” when we were already hurting on key binds, and now that they got what they wanted they’re complaining about not having enough room on their toolbars, lol.

2 Likes

Went in game and looked right now. Enhancement has 25 keybindings without talents, 31 if you want to keybind stuff that you really shouldn’t but want to. Stuff like the imbues, Ancestral spirit, Astral recall, far sight, water walking. Lightning shield too if you don’t pvp so you won’t need to worry about it being purged.

If you add in every single active talent, then you can get close to 40.

on my R

I actually don’t run cleanse unless solo or I plan on PvPing. even then I got it bound to Alt-3.

that’s fair, I did forget about them as I was trying to recall everything at around 2am when trying to make the post without having to log on. I do have them bound to my F key.

bound to E.

So 1-6, q, e, r, f. 30 keybindings for my shaman stuff.

hearthstone is not an essential keybind. Also if you went to read on later I also have z-b bound for non-class stuff. The opening post was about enhancement stuff, and I don’t use focus macros on my DPS class. More on my healers (which I mentioned later, stuff like ground target, focus healing, ect).

Potions and trinket share the same keybinding. You can actually just make a macro to use both trinkets at once if both are just simple DPS or stat trinkets. in fact since I’m orc I just have my racial and trinkets all macro’d together, getting three buttons down into one.

My covanent ability is going to replace my azerite trait ability. the extra one is just going to go on the alt Q since that’s open.

That’s fair on profession stuff if you’re engineering. I don’t see how having my herb / inscription bound will help me at all however. It’s on my side bar with non combat stuff.

thread is about keybindings. I got a lot of other stuff on side bars that are hidden during combat. Stuff like my imbues, lightning shield, flasks, food, two hearths, mount randomizer.

What kills me is there are many people who despite threads like this still want more baseline without removing anything from the current kit.

Ascendance
Fire Ele
Sundering
Earth shield
Stormkeeper
Healing Rain
Countless totems
And this is just a few

It’s just makes me laugh

I think I’m too smooth brained to play shaman.

2 Likes

Did you know that you don’t have to have everything keybound to play successfully? If it’s a buff you only have to cast once every 30 or 60 minutes, just click it.

1 Like

Na man, it just takes practice.

If you are going to try to min/max damage, this is not the correct way to play.

1 Like

Right there’s your problem.

Mouse buttons are meant to be additional keybinds, not then whole setup.

More buttons are good.

Well I play shaman literally, BECAUSE there are lots of buttons.

It feels like swiss army knife class.

Tons of unique tools.

That’s why it’s my favourite class in the game.

Why ?

Just use mouse .

Alt is not even remotely comfortable to use imo, and I have never found a way to make it work without uncomfortable hand gymnastics. Tuck my thumb? That’s not very comfy. I don’t see how people make it work.

Oh and yes, my shaman has too much to look at. I have plenty of stuff keybound+mouse buttons and it’s just a lot.