Too many buttons

Seems I’m booked on keybinds. I use 1-9 buttons on my mouse, and then I also have Shift and Alt versions bound as well. Once I assign pots to my bar, my keybinds are overwhelming…not to mention I have a covenant ability that I’ll have to find a place for.

Some stuff needs to be passive.

Remove Imbues (these aren’t on my keybinds, btw), because they’re literally just buffs that were added so blizz can say “look, we gave you something” when it really isn’t giving us anything at all. If we can’t have dual windfury, stop pretending like we have any actual choice.

How about a windfury aura to remove managing the totem? “When windfury procs, all allies within X yards have 20% chance to gain an extra swing on their melee attacks”

Lightning/earth shield should be passive (and stack to help us with survivability).

Chain heal? Really?

Maybe we can also bake elemental blast (if talented) into LB/chain lightning. ICD of 12 seconds.

I like our totems, but once you start picking up pvp talents, the cool down management gets even worse.

These are just a couple ideas. I understand if you like the cool down management, but I think it’s slightly over the top.

Let me know what you guys think.

Ps: I love the windfury buff, but I would rather have it be applicable to offhand and tuned.

9 Likes

How are people short on keybinds vs the BfA version?

Are ya’ll keybinding the imbues? You know you can just click those. Same with lightning shield in PvE. We lost three attack keys and gained 3 plus chain heal and totem. For active keybinds we pretty much remained steady from BfA to prepatch…

Edit: going off enhancement perspective. dunno about ele or resto.

6 Likes

I would recommend using all the letters around your movement keys as well.

For example I use q,e,r,t,f,g,x,c,v,~ and shift and alt all of those keys as well. You should have plenty left over

4 Likes

The same as BFA… all I had to do was find a spot for Echo Shock … but I was playing Ice Fury and now doing SoP so I have a key free which I used for Echo. I put Spirit Walkers where totem mastery used to be . HST and CS totem , I macroed together . Chain healing is not even on any keys … what will I use that for, it’s useless for Ele . And lightning shield is not bound to anything . I click it .

then make some more? dont put every ability on a keybind? ive got every ability bound excpet like. far sight, wep imbues, etc that i dont press often, if at all.

ontop of that, i have my binds for my target macros, my arena 1 2 3 defensive and dispells, cc, kicks. alt modifiers, etc.

2 Likes

I did that already. The part we seem to disagree on is how many cooldowns we should have to track…I personally disagree that we should have this many.

i feel like we dont have enough lol

8 Likes

I’m not sure how you are short on keybinds. I use alt and shift modifiers as well and I have so many left over that i keybind things like hearthstone, 2 mounts, dal hearthstone, /roll, arena target 1/2/3, and party member 1/2/3. Also, I still have empty keybinds open for another 2 xpacs of unpruning while keeping everything currently bound.

May I suggest a razor naga that allows you to have another 12 binds on your mouse.

Even without that, as I only use 6 binds on my mouse, I still dont see how people run out of binds using shift and alt modifiers.

1 Like

This.

Our main abilities are…

Frost shock
Fire shock
Storm strike
Lava-lash
Lightning bolt
Chain lightning
Crash lightening
Healing surge

So using shift modifiers I got the main combat abilities 1 to 4.

Using alt I got
Ghost wolf
Lightning shield
Windfury totem
The defensive I can’t remember of.

My Q key is my azerite traits/soon to be covanent abilities.

My R is my mount and other totems.

In SL I plan on going ice strike hailstorm so I’ll have to expand but I don’t think I’ll go past 6.

Cause atm I’m using 16 keybindings on 6 keys.

There in lies the problem. Most people use way more than 6 keys as well. Not enough keys for keybinds will cause this issue.

For example, I use 1-5, Q-T, move with A,S,D, use F, G, use Z-B. I use Shift and ALT modifiers for all those except 1-5. I also use a 15 button mouse, mouse wheel scroll up/down.

So I am using 35 different keys with ALT and Shift Modifiers for at least half, if not most of them.

And no I dont have big hands or I would have more keybinds. :joy:

oh I also use z-b on my keyboard for bindings. Just not class specific ones. so I didn’t really include that for the bindings as I could just cannibalize those if I needed more to actually play the spec.

I also got some dumb stuff like e for /roll, shift-e for /dance, and alt-e for /spit.

Funny thing, on my MW monk (character I am posting on, duh) I actually have more class specific keybinds and use th z-b stuff for macros. Like macros to switch and heal my focus target, to ground target ring of peace, some mouse over stuff, ect.

1 Like

Hey I have a small suggestion if you’re open for one: use S,D,F for movement. It would potentially open Y,H,N as additional keybinds – 6 may be reachable as well. I personally use the 2 side buttons on my mouse as Shift and Alt modifiers but they’re still reachable on the keyboard with this hand placement (albeit Alt would be more difficult/awkward).

Just a small suggestion that may open up a few more keybinds for you.

Bonus: it’s an easier transition from moving to typing in chat.

On my shaman I use: a, s, d, f, g, q, r, t, z, c, v, b, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, mouse wheel up, and mouse wheel down, with shift and ctrl modifiers for all of those buttons. If not for that I would legit be screwed on my shaman, lol.

I use T,F,G,H for movement (plus mouse). I have a couple mouse buttons bound to CTRL and ALT. Then I have 3 variations of each of the keys I can reach in every direction from T,F,G,H (1-8, Q-I, A-K, Z-M). Gives me ~80 keybind options.

you just listed 60 keybinds for a class that on average has of 20-30 abilities.

you’re ether using a crap ton of macros (understandable if restro), or not actually separating the keybindings you have for shaman from non-shaman keybindings.

1 Like

I have an addon called autobar. Its a nice addon that has class stuff like shields and what not on a separate bar. So weapon imbues arent even on my hotbars autobar does it all for me.

This post is why devs ignore class forums

If you put those rarely used buffs and stuff on the second page of your actionbar using shift 1 and 2 to swap pages you just doubled your actions using the same keybinds. You just have to swap pages.

1 Like

I just unbound everything and went back to clicking.

Feels so nostalgic too.

1 Like

Yep, I play resto and elemental, and I have mouseover, and @player1, @player2 macroes for all my heals, and all my CC has focus modifiers macros.