Too Many Affixes Fall Directly on the Shoulders of Healers

Quantum Leap looking into the mirror .jpg

All affixes are a collective challenge for the group to overcome. Using utility, self healing, defensives, and consumables to aid in reducing the impact of all affixes is the responsibility of all 5 members.

Just because a random pug doesn’t understand that doesn’t make it not true. Many pugs do.

2 Likes

This.

More mechanics that directly punish the dps if they fail.

2 Likes

I was in +15 HoA this morning in a Rogue with 1400 io kept dying every pull to spiteful and even blamed me for losing agro. This is coming from someone who has timed other spiteful runs in previous weeks.

Many of them already can’t handle mechanics, as seen from spiteful, quaking, and storming.

1 Like

Did he buy a carry? Haha.

1 Like

Did a +17 SD last night with people around that IO. They basically had no clue how or what to kick and the WW went off on me after dying to a Fracture near the end of the gauntlet.

First key i bailed on in a long long time.

1 Like

I care :frowning: i use whatever tool kit i have to make it easier

So to sum up your point OP, you tend to play with bad players who are careless at avoiding taking unnecessary damage?

OH GODS THAT CRAP

And the effect they use for the a lot of 1-shot mechanics looks the same as the effects for a knockdown/knockback. Literally the same. I swear over half the time I died it was because I thought it was just a knockback, and I’d try to block it (many mobs used BOTH attacks as well, so often a block would work). And the dungeons spammed 1-shot on everything.

Okay game but the dungeon mechanics were cheap asf. SL/BFA dungeons, as much as I don’t like them, have more complexity.

1 Like

The concept of good and bad players is one I disagree with in principle. How many “good” or “bad” players track healer mana? And how many “bad” players are simply not playing well because of a lack of experience or knowledge of finer points? And how many “good” or “bad” players are truly doing their best?

Just saying.

it’s a math based game. someone doing 1k dps in 210 gear is seriously underperforming. The reasons for that to random strangers in the group is typically irrelevant.

You can do your best at something, and still be bad at it.

And you can be inexperienced and be bad. the difference is (I suppose, at least), one has room for upward growth.

1 Like

Well, in RL I have worked jobs like coach, teacher, professor, etc. You can’t just classify people as “good” or “bad.” “Capable of better” to me is a much better philosophy to hold. There are also quick learners with a low ceiling and ones who appear to master things at a slower pace who have a higher ceiling. Also, if people enjoy something they will probably be more motivated to improve. If they are labelled as “bad” you also get biases, like attribution bias and confirmation bias creeping in, whether you like it or not. Also, if you label someone as “bad” how much are they going to enjoy the game and want to continue at it?

2 Likes

too many affixes affect melee and they dont care… sit tight what you see is what you get.

While I don’t disagree with you, I think it’s just a bunch of wordplay.

But, I guess words matter. I would never tell someone (in-game, I’m a lot mouthier on the forums) “you are bad”, and I certainly don’t think that how someone plays a video game is a reflection of them as a person. I’m always happy to offer suggestions and help when asked, but I think people need to be honest with themselves as well, and recognize when there are things they could improve.

Not everyone cares to play the game to that level - and to be clear - I think that is perfectly 100% absolutely ok. Everyone should play how they want to play, it is a game, after all.

But, the reality is, it’s not a game you play alone, and in group content, how you play affects others. If someone is content being “bad”, “suboptimal”, or whatever word you want to use, that’s fine, but I think they have a responsibility to the other people in their party that they’re not meeting.

On topic of your post - how those players, who might not handle mechanics well, might not do great dps, might not know how to properly use active mitigation - how they play does in fact directly impact you as a healer, but that doesn’t mean the affixes are on the shoulders of healers. A dungeon is a team effort, and when one or more people are not playing well, the others, no matter what the role, have to pick up the slack if the group is going to succeed.

2 Likes

I think moral of the story here is just stop pugging. You’ll always have a better time w/ an organized group. M+ isn’t about who can carry who but how the 5 man team (take note I said “team”) can work together.

1 Like

Most affixes are group wide efforts. Grievous including. If your group is not handling grievous then you are in a bad group. That’s what ultimately separates the good groups from the bad groups, good DPS know how to use their abilities to spread out responsibilities, and how to avoid bad. At a certain point, in M+, the healer isn’t there to correct avoidable damage.

1 Like

Yeah, game design ought to play a role here is what I am saying. There are systems at play in this game, much as in life. In a lot of cases there are dominos falling all around, one after another, hitting each other and getting at the cause of the first domino becomes a game of being a detective. When I once asked a guy in this game why he did something, he replied, and I quote, “Because I can.” In this game people who play dpsers “can” simply do a lot of dps, and their buddies will reinforce that over and over. And while they are doing that, and reinforcing the habit of only pressing dps buttons to the exclusion of “dodge x” buttons, and “defensive y” buttons, they think they are doing well. That is a problem for healers though, because it can make something otherwise pleasant be a harrowing experience for 30-40 minutes to the point that they simply do not find gaming a worthwhile experience.

Remember also, that relative to people who main dps, a relative lack of healers are tanks are often where the bottlenecks are. What does this mean? It translates into the idea that the more you unknowingly aggravate your healers, the less they are going to want to heal, and the longer you are going to have to wait to find one. If the game designers implemented some affixes that directly fell onto the shoulders of dpsers vs so many that fall directly on the shoulders of healers, they would turn off less healers, and in the end this would result in less bottlenecks.

1 Like

Yeah. IMHO, grievous feels immeasurably harder to heal than other affixes. A tiny f-up by DPS can cause you to expend a quarter of your mana spamming heals on them… and you sure hope nobody else needs healing at the same time.

oh, for sure, game design absolutely plays a role.

When dps are underperforming, or tunneling, or whatever - healers often have to compensate.

However, I cannot think of an affix that would change that. we could have an affix of “if you stand in the circle, you do less damage” or whatever, but even then… healers have to compensate because the fights last longer.

maybe something like that would be less awful than grevious, which I agree is a pretty gross affix. But idk, I am not a game developer lol

Honestly, at the end of the day, most of these problems are solved by not pugging, as Adilith said above. When you run with consistent people, you can communicate with them, you can work on things as a team, improve as a team. There’s a lot of group learning that goes on in organized m+ that doesn’t necessarily happen in pugland m+.

FWIW, I always appreciate your well thought out and communicated posts.

1 Like

Yeah, true. But at least dps would not be oblivious as much. :smiley:

Then you have demands on you though. Not to deny the value of having a regular group. But you need like minds. Also, in my case, I like to play when I feel like it so I can do what I want when I want. If I want to go for a walk or a bike ride, or want to watch a flick or a game I want to be free of guilt, etc. but also free of the feeling I am missing out. I also want to know that if I do set time aside I am not going to be on the bench… A lot to ask, I know, but a lot of pugs are okay… I guess I’m just trying to say the game needs to be set up so you don’t have to tell people to kick this or that, to not stand in fire here, or whatever… So that people in general are not blinded by their almighty “DPS output” to the exclusion of all else.

2 Likes