To the people that play wow alone

It’s what video gaming is really all about at its core. If you can’t play WoW alone, I’m afraid you don’t earn my respect as a true video/PC gamer. True gamers don’t need their hands held by the company of others.

On my goblin hunter, I have 55 days played at level 120, out of 122 days total. Almost 50% of the time played was in this current era. That’s dedication, and much of it was solo-oriented. Enjoyable? I will say yes: I can’t really say no. But I think this is one of those “I laugh because I must not cry” things.

WPvPer[retired] and gentleman goldfarmer. Working the CQ schedule. It’s enjoyable because 1) you can do it by yourself and 2) I can enjoy F2Pness. WoW would suck a lot more if I had to actually pay RL money to maintain a sub.

If you think fun comes from playing with people, then you don’t understand video gaming. What you understand instead is clubbing, partying, and public events. Video gaming didn’t used to have all this multiplayer crap. And I’m a bit too young to say I come from the old school, but in terms of PC, there’s Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike, and Unreal Tournament. You had clans, but they were marginalized in comparison to the reason you REALLY get into online gaming.

1 Like

No gonna lie. Being a part of a large guild is tons of fun. But then it’s like you want to stay…plead with them to stay…but people drift.

It’s like being married to 40 people. When it works, it’s fun. People on all hours of the day. Etc. Etc.

Then little by little everyone is gone. I just don’t have the fight in me to keep others going nor do I want to subject myself to the slow descent again.

Solo play gives me freedom. Freedom to pause an unpauseable game.

7 Likes

I do have a couple of friends that I played with and you’re right the game is more enjoyable with friends.

But they are not always on when I am, I usually PvP, pick Flowers (for some reason herbalism relaxes me), play alts, collect mogs, etc.

I honestly don’t mind playing alone but I enjoy it even better with friends the thing is, that I made this three friends by sheer luck, I honestly don’t know how to engage with people.

2 Likes

I do enjoy it.

For the first time (8.3 being the first time for me) I’m actually paying attention to things like stats, being very finicky with secondary stats and the like.

Well, life has a way of running things and I can’t play as much as I used to. So I don’t get to raid every week or anything. I’m still missing rings and trinkets that would really help me reach my true potential.

But I log in and dabble a bit, upgrade my corruption resistance, do some timewalking for the mount (the painful experience) and tried to do more rated pvp a while back. hopefully i can do more before SL but if not i won’t stress over it.

Nah, I’d just make new friends if I was feeling lonely.

It is more fun with friends but when your real world is just as lonely then yeah I do enjoy it. WoW has helped me cope with my depression in the past so I feel like I owe Blizzard for that. Even in WoD, Ashran made my life feel better. But do I wish I could play with people yeah but it’s not a major thing.

1 Like

Takes me forever to make real life friends…gaming friends a close second. I’ve wondered for years why play a MMO.

The good old college days are gone. Easier to find time between work and classes. Now, I come home from work like…I’m done…let me hardstyle music myself into a coma.

I’m okay playing on the sidelines. But this is me. I only speak for myself.

I bought WoW years ago expecting to be an outsider watching stuff. Like a spectator in the Brawling arena.

1 Like

I mean, making friends isn’t easy. It takes effort and a bit of dedication. I can see why folks would rather not since everyone is always tired now a days.

However, starting or joining a guild is always a good stepping stone.

2 Likes

I’ll play with you bro. Toss Lilnoria-scarletcrusade a friend. We can group and do something. Or just chat.

1 Like

i was considering starting a guild the other day , may as well try

No reason not too. Make sure you’re not one of those weirdo’s with the guild invite bot, spamming people who just created with invites.

What kind of guild you making? What faction? Do you have an end goal? Or are you just looking to socialize?

Keep us up to date. Maybe one of us will join.

Leading a guild can be quite the experience.

Since I’ve largely played WoW solo for the majority of the time I’ve been on it, I figured I can answer a few questions.

Not anymore.

To rattle off a few of the things I did enjoy:

• Exploring the world and finding secrets. And occasionally exploring off the map.
  • Questing and seeing the story play out.
  • Challenging enemies I’m not supposed to take on solo and figuring out how I can defeat them. I was quite proficient at fear-kiting, terrain-pathing exploits (aka: mobs can’t jump and have to take the long way around), and kiting in general on my Warlock back in the Vanilla and TBC days.
  • Soloing old raids, especially when they didn’t keel over instantly due to massive damage scaling (WoD added in level-based damage scaling).
  • Solo challenges in general, especially if they required creative thinking rather than just overpowering them with massive stat-inflation from gear.
  • Collecting transmog appearances and collecting in general.
  • If nothing specific to do, just generally just wandering around and visiting old sights.

Quite simply, WoW’s progressive and increasing focus on throughput optimization, not to mention the systematic removal of many of the “abnormal” strategies (and atypical playstyles) has pretty much gutted or otherwise removed all that interests me in this game anymore.

The copious amount of grinds, especially the never-ending ones, has been a major thorn in my side as well. They’re generally the sort of thing I prefer to get done and over with, as they just “get in the way” of my enjoyment. The fact they’re set-up to be REPEATABLE is practically infuriating rather than interesting.

And to quickly comment on playing with others? While I wouldn’t call it a “bad” experience, especially with a group that you enjoy being around… in the end, it does nothing for me compared to playing solo. It just takes more effort (psychologically) to play with other people, while I find playing solo is a more relaxing and enjoyable experience; as such, I do have a tendency to wander off and just do my own thing regardless.

For all intents and purposes, I am a lone wolf.

… and I also have a strong dislike of being “encouraged” to do things I dislike or are otherwise not interested in. I would actually enjoy this game more if it left me alone to my own devices instead of cramming notifications of the next thing to chase every 5 minutes.

7 Likes

i’ve wanting to make a pve oriented guild for people who don’t get the chance to raid or do m+ because they’re undergeared , basically start from the very bottom and make our way up to heroic and who knows maybe even mythic if given the chance

1 Like

I’m the lone survivor of a once active guild and I’ve adjusted to the point where grouping just feels uncomfortable. Anything I want to do that’s locked behind group activities I just make a note to solo it at the end of the next expansion. There is so little I feel a need to do while it is current other than leveling and getting flying to save my sanity.

I am nice to people in game and will buff or bail them out if they are struggling with an encounter, but otherwise I keep to myself and enjoy that I have more to do than I have time to do it in. This feels like a good place to be.

8 Likes

I have a particular lifestyle + personality type where I spend a lot of time stressing over critical minutiae for a career and enjoy doing mindless, repetitive, not-worrying-about-other-people’s-needs things to destress.

Playing WoW is like listening to music to me but I get why some people are interaction junkies.

7 Likes

I’ll give it a shot. The guild I’ve been a member of since Panderia has finally finished its death knell and it’s just me again anyway. Let us know when you make it?

1 Like

I play alone for the most part. I pug everything I do, and rarely, if ever, talk when I’m in said pugs if it is group content. I sincerely enjoy investing my time into my characters, but I can’t bring myself to care about anyone I encounter. I’m pleasant enough if I need to be, such as showing people where to do, how to do fights, and will help with +4 runs on a 471, but I generally harbor a dislike for people so I will go out of my way to avoid group content if possible. Visions have been my jam, and I’m really looking forward to torghast.

I play FPSs this way too. I have a headset, but I use it for immersion and not communication. I realize how this impacts the player experience though, and I don’t go into rates queues while refusing to communicate. Similarly to why I always put “not for rating” in my arena lfgs.

My perfect video game life would be an iron wolf mercenary from d2. I join up when it’s time to kill stuff, and you leave me alone when it’s not.

You should play 3 MMOs instead of one. That way every day is a trip down memory lane. Seriously, just cycle, you may find you enjoy coming back to all of them.

I only play with friends and guildies, wow is a trash single player game.