To subvert or not to subvert

Otherwise it means coming to terms with the fact that the horde has had it worse for years now and they can’t handle it.

So they resort to making up things that never happened

6 Likes

I mean, I don’t have a problem with the stuff like things sucked for everyone in BFA. But something like “There wasn’t an imbalance in the amount of content between Horde and Alliance in Vanilla” is just factually untrue.

6 Likes

Horde players: “OOOO Cataclysm was 14 years ago, stop yapping about Thrall, get over it”

Also Horde players: “AAAAAAAAA The Alliance had four more zones 20 years ago AAAAA”

1 Like

I don’t think any reasonable people have a problem with that. It’s the blatant LYING and making stuff up that I take issue with is all. It’s been known for literal years now that the horde from Vanilla up until Cata had significant less content than alliance overall

Cata was an attempt to balance the scales a bit. The alliance still comes out ahead in overall quests still, but we’re talking a few hundred disparity, while not great still is better than what it was

3 Likes

And it’s not like the vanilla thing was deliberate, just they didn’t know what the task entailed and were getting really into finely crafting the first things they made and time was lost and the game shipped kinda incomplete, how long was it before Silithus had anything in it? and Azshara never really had much of a point unless you were dragon hunting until Cata. And that hit Horde too.

And cata was basically the opposite “We need to fix the situation from us mismanaging time in Vanilla leading to one side having less content and oh crap! we did it again!”

3 Likes

Yah, like in Cata where the Alliance could do Horde quests in Thousand Needles. Doesn’t make it Alliance story.

First, Cata is the base world.

Second, it is not JUST Cata.

MoP had more Horde content, including and entire patch that was all Horde. Including more scenarios for the Horde.

BfA also had more Horde content. Including a bunch of fully rendered cinematics.

Good thing I wasn’t the one using whether or not I liked the story as evidence.

It wasn’t just about saving her. It was also about stopping the damage she would do. Did you pay even a little attention. He actions were condemned very clearly.

And do you only consider it ‘punishment’ if they die? Tyrande literally ended up on her knees crying out to her goddess, begging. She we REALLY low.

I didn’t say it was a “shameful defeat.” Nor did I even say I was bothered by the story. I said Tyrande suffered for her actions. And, unquestionably and objectively she did. Which is something you said never happened because of Alliance favoritism. Then when you see it happen clearly in front of you, you declare it Alliance favoritism. You are trying to have it both ways.

The better question is what is it with ‘these Horde partisans’ who claim an expac is Alliance favored if there are any Alliance stories and AND/OR Alliance favored if there are any Horde stories they didn’t like.

But it all circles back to again:

The Horde being the aggressors was a choice for the Horde story they were telling and not a result of ‘protecting the Alliance,’ because they have objectively not ‘protected the Alliance.’

They were NOT trying to fix any kind of imbalance.

You are correct saying it was not directly intentional. It happened because they had a story they wanted to tell, that happened to be Horde. They wrote and started working on the Horde story and then didn’t have a good plan for the Alliance. And they ran out of time and cut unfinished content, which was mostly Alliance because they had started with the Horde.

They weren’t trying to undo an imbalance. That would have happened in Burning Crusade. Which incidentally did have more Horde story. (Which was not a problem)

Cata, MoP, and BfA discrepancies were not Blizzard hating the Alliance. It was them being more focused on the Horde stories they were telling. It cost the Alliance in the process, but it was not malicious.

But, importantly, it also shows that they were not being ‘protective’ of the Alliance.

So, again: Horde being the aggressor was a Horde story choice NOT an attempt to protect the Alliance. You don’t have to like that story choice. But you are wrong to blame it on some Alliance favoritism.

MOP where my horde characters spent more time questing with Anduin than the Alliance ones? That MOP?

And the patch where we storm orgrimmar and Varian Wrynn lectures us about how he’ll end us?

Oh goody, the slap in the face cinematics, great horde content that.

Let me laugh harder.

Where?

Where were they condemned beyond the level of “Vengeance will kill her” Because it seemed pretty heavily based on “lookit how badass tyrande is one shotting baddies!”

Weird that they’d shuffle the world around so that the horde had close to an equal number of leveling zones if they weren’t trying to fix the imbalance that was obviously there if you are capable of counting.

BFA, where even after having them commit a massive act of escalation that should obviously be seen as an act of war while in a state of cooperation, the Alliance is treated as the innocent hero faction? That’s not protective of the idea that the alliance never did anything wrong?

Made no GD sense outside of some weird desire to prevent the Alliance from ever being seen as the aggressive faction in anything.

2 Likes

OT: I’d like Blizzard to finally subvert expectations and make an Alliance-centric expansion for once.

I look at TWW… and this just ain’t it. Many Neutral characters (Alleria, Anduin), many Horde characters (Thrall, Gazlowe, Geya’rah), only relevant Aliance characters are Jaina, Moira, and Dagran II, none of which play a significant role.

And we’re going to Goblin land in the patch… yeah, this is just the Horde power-fantasy fiesta. As if Cataclysm, MOP, WOD, Legion, BFA, and SL weren’t enough to satisfy the Horde’s power-fantasy needs.

They didn’t redo the old world in TBC though…

They did work on fixing the imbalance all through Vanilla. Entire hubs and quest givers like the few belves were added mid-vanilla to try to fix it. And it still came nowhere near coming close, because the gap was just that wide.

4 Likes

Not to mention, when playing horde, you hit around lvl 20, theres was like a 10 level gap where we had no content at all and had to farm mobs and dungeons just to catch up

2 Likes

Ah, Memories :slight_smile:

Hitting level 25 and finally being able to survive 1k needles was always such a nice change of pace. Stonetalon had but a handful of quests, Ashenvale was horribly set up for Horde and ultimately just had 1 small hubs worth of quests if you don’t count the collectathon quests.

Then you’d hit ~32 and start doing STV and other neutral zones and get a taste of how the other half lives and things were great until 40 and it slowed down again.

3 Likes

The patch where the Alliance players ran around on a robot cat and then reported to Vol’jin to be bossed around. That patch.

The patch that added extra Horde scenarios and they had to allow factions to play both because both player groups needed access to an equal number. That patch.

Again, we are back to you discounting something because you don’t like it.

That doesn’t change the fact that it IS Horde content.

They were building a fresh world. It wasn’t based on any discrepancy or perceived imbalance.

Had they felt there was an imbalance that needed correcting and were just counting numbers:

1. They would have addressed that in Burning Crusade
  2. They would not have created new obvious imbalances they other way.

First of all, BfA was clearly established as a Sylvanas starting the war with genocide. You don’t really escalate from there. The war didn’t stop during BfA.

Second, have you even played a little of time on the Alliance side? Like at all? Because there is plenty of ‘you are bad for fighting the Horde’ the Alliance players get. The Alliance isn’t treated as the ‘Good faction.’ Blizzard constantly reiterates that both factions are bad for fighting at all. Honestly, I don’t think I could count the number of times my Alliance toon got told they were bad for fighting the Horde.

We have already established that you discount everything you don’t like. So, I am guessing you missed a few points.

In Cata Garrosh starting the war was important to Garrosh story. It was that way to show Garrosh going down the Grom patch, all the way up to consume the heart instead of demon blood. It was important that he start the war. At the same time Blizzard was trying to tell a tale of the Horde facing the dark history and rejecting it. Which required that history to start repeating. It was important for his story.

Sylvanas starting the war in BfA was important for two reasons. First, it set up her goals and what she was doing. And, second, if she is the one that has to push for it then it is more believable that when she is gone a real peace can set in.

You may not like the reasons they did it. But, there were story reasons.

No, the added more zones that had a small imbalance in favor of the Horde when it comes to quests and story. Remember, that was long before Chromie time leveling through a single expac. You leveled to max by going through Vanilla plus Outland. It was taken together. So, any small imbalance in Vanilla would have been balanced out with a small imbalance the other way in Burning Crusade.

I don’t agree that story content was that widely different. And yes, they added content to the Horde.

But, by the time Cata came around that was well and truly addressed and moved on from. Cata was not an attempt to fix it.

And we can confidently state that because the way Cata was put together with the Horde content written and implemented first being the primary cause of the problems. Not, ‘oh we balanced things.’

Plus, if they believed balance was important then the various patches in Cata would have included additional Alliance only content to balance things out. They didn’t do that because balancing the content was not a priority for them. Blizzard even stated they were not looking to make everything equal after the negative feedback from Alliance fans asked for some added Alliance content. They said that was not how they designed the expacs.

I don’t miss those days at all man. Hitting level 60 was such a slog and a choir.

But now I switch between my Vulpera lock and Drae hunter and all is right in the world. Probably gonna make another lock though. Maybe a Panda one for fun :dracthyr_hehe_animated: :dracthyr_nod:

insult him to his face and make him grovel for your help?

So, when do the horde get to tell Tyrande off when we have to follow her around as she insults us as we help her?

You seem to have a much looser definition of horde content vs what is alliance content.

You’re trolling right?

That’s the problem, in a sane world, Genn started the war at the beginning of the prior expansion.

5 Likes

It goes back to blizz getting cold feet whenever they have the alliance do something outright wrong or questionable. They almost immediately walk it back or find a way to justify said action so they can villian bat the horde instead.

Because god forbid if the horde actually had legitimate grievances when it comes to attacking the alliance

6 Likes

Do you remember how the response actually came about? Guessing not. Here, let me help you out.

So, Cata was an obvious disaster. Then there was MASSIVE negative feedback with the destruction of Theramore to start MoP off. Quite a few Alliance left and Blizzard started responding and promising the whole ‘fist pump moment.’ Which never came.

Then along comes the SoO patch onto the test realm. There is basically NO Alliance content and when Alliance players confronted Vol’jin there was not talk back to him option. He just straight threatened the Alliance player and basically told them to do what he said or he would kill them. This sparked a TON of backlash. Between the entire patch being a Horde story and the Alliance player being threatened by the Horde in order to do Horde questing. Alliance players were not happy. On top of that all that was the same time the Devs were forced to admit there was going to be no ‘Alliance fist pump moment.’ Well, it was a disaster.

Blizzard added the slap back at him text because they didn’t have anything else they could do in order to mitigate the backlash. The removed a single pain point and then just hoped in would be over soon.

That patch was absolutely horrible for the Alliance players.

No I don’t. I just don’t use whether I like it or not as a measure. Like it or not those Saurfang cinematics were objectively Horde story content. There is no way around that.

We could go round and round about ‘Oh, Horde caused this skirmish here. The Alliance caused this one there.’ Etc, etc. All day long, all the way back through Vanilla and even before. Yes, Worgan and Forsaken fought in Legion. Sure, Genn thought Sylvanas betrayed them on the Broken Shores. But, that doesn’t mean there weren’t talks after. That is how it has worked most of WoW’s history. The difference is Sylvanas didn’t start a skirmish in Ashenvale. She decided to wipe out the Night Elves. And brought the full might of the Horde to do it.

Also, following that there were talks and it is back to peace. If another war breaks out it wont be Sylvanas causing it.

And it is important to remember:
The reason they made Sylvanas start the was is for story reasons associate with Sylvanas. It wasn’t anything to do with the Alliance. Whether or not you like those reasons. That was the reason.

Ignoring the fact that sylvanas uses the unprovoked attack in Stormheim as a means to justify the invasion of Teldrassil to Saurfang that is, knowing full well he would find that an acceptable reasoning over the actual truth.

3 Likes

Legion ended with Genn and Rodgers getting away with Stormheim, Tyrande showing herself openly hostile to even the Horde races directly helping her, Jaina coming off a rage tantrum, and Anduin being too sorrowful to live up to his usual ideals.

If the BFA cinematic is an indication that originally it was supposed to be the Alliance hitting first, it was generational cowardice to change it.

7 Likes

TL;DR You just want the Alliance to be pure evil monsters, and the Horde to be the pure good defenders.

Since you want to play a pure good defender, why not just play Alliance? :slight_smile:

The BfA cinematic clearly set up an antagonistic alliance and Sylvanas actually being heroic. I remember everyone cheering when her For the Horde! moment happened.

But yet again, blizz got cold feet and pulled a 180 on us. They also lied about her not being another Garrosh, which she was. Just upped to a 1,000 instead.

Oh, and don’t forget Siege of Org 2.0. Dark times to be a fan of either sylvanas or the horde in general

5 Likes