To people thinking LFG addon will not be banned

When you want to block a number from calling your phone you don’t stop the phone app from accepting calls, you block the number.

Likewise, to block an add-on you don’t stop the API from getting requests, you look for the code for the add-on and block it.

Addons rest in the WoW folder structure. They need to be executed and loaded into memory. Code needs to be read in order to be executed.

2+2= ?

Additionally, in order for the add-on to do what it needs to, it needs to look for and gather specific strings of text for group finding.

Even without code, you can look for addons that specifically target those text strings (that look for those text strings, not just a chat add-on that passes along player key presses).

1+1= ?

EDIT: We got a blue response, time to eat my hate I suppose :smiley: - good news though!

Are you honestly suggestion it’s as easy as identifying the specific addon and breaking it, while keeping the underlying API in tact? Blizzard releases patch breaking latest version of addon. 30 minutes later addon author releases new version with a new “fingerprint” that bypasses the block. Wait weeks for next patch and repeat.

Read my edit.

There’s ways without a direct match. The addon has a very specific use case that other addons won’t.

Identify the case.

EDIT: We got a blue response, time to eat my hate I suppose :smiley: - good news though!

The addon just mimics common LFG spam strings, “blocking” those strings would be problematic for real users.

Anyway, it would be a completely unprecedented move. Every time Blizzard has disliked the functionality of an addon to the point that they want to ban it, they change the API that allows for whatever functionality they dislike. I’m only saying that given the history of how they deal with situations like this, and given the very simple nature of the addon itself, it will be very difficult for them to break this addon. I’ve worked with the API quite a bit, I know how easy it would be to write something that mimics what this addon does using a very small, very commonly used portion of the API.

Parts of this addon will be removed or banned, argue and troll against it all you like.

If you support this type of addon, Classic is clearly not for you!

Like they LITERALLY say those exact words. Thats why the tourists are so worried. Ion basically word for word described this addon, and destroyed the “Just dont use it” argument literally on stage in front of thousands of people.

The death of this addon is coming. Its a flat out bullseye to what he described and they know it.

3 Likes

I still don’t get how people aren’t understanding that they were duped by that video. I also like all of the selective memory problems because addons that auto-invite people to your group upon whispering a keyword have been around since Vanilla. I’ve never seen such a large group of hysterical “the sky is falling” people.

4 Likes

What was said is the broke automation, pasted tense. They correct statement is “monitor and restrict”.

Very different

1 Like

Everyone keeps linking that video as if its proof of anything lol

Good point. DBM has an autoinvite based on key words. To make raid time mass invites quicker.

Ban DBM. I say that sarcastically but plenty of people push for that too.

Damn, people turning me into one of those #noChance posters

And how does it exactly “mimic” those common strings if they aren’t store in a way that the chat API knows how to use?

With this info we then _________________

You’re forgetting Blizzard isn’t locked to the API like add-on creators. It’s their engine, they programmed it. Anything they want to do they can if they put the work behind it to identify those strings.

Again, I already covered this in my previous post, it’s why I specifically mentioned chat addons and a user typing in a message to look for a group vs an add-on that automatically does it for you and searches out those specific cases.

On the computing side there’s a big difference between a user typing in a phrase and an add-on doing it for you. Don’t even care about the API hooks, that’s completely irrelevant in this case and one of the last places I’d look to use as a metric to gauge an add-on.

Blizz can also make sure to keep in the spirit of classic by requiring add-on developers to use an API key so no unapproved addons work. Similar to what I do when publishing a game on PlayStation or Xbox. A digital signature, if you will.

Of course, they don’t have to do any of it - but that’s not the point. It can be done IF they want to. Period.

Serious question: how?
I’m not really that against it because there is no automation, but can new players really not use a chat channel to find groups? There is an LFG Channel in WoW.

Your comment makes it seem this will actually get people to communicate less because they don’t want to, or are afraid of, interacting with actual people instead of an interface.

Our lack of face to face, real world interactions would support this I suppose, but it is a horrible trend.

TO OP have fun trying to ban a LFG discord bot

It’s going to be banned because it mimics the custom LFG bulletin board functionality that Retail has - a feature that Blizz already intentionally removed from Classic.

Why would Blizz Ok an addon that does something they already prevented and removed?

1 Like

We don’t know if it will or won’t until Blizzard either does nothing or breaks it-- it’s that simple.

I don’t see a difference, except it’s a separate channel that is less spammy, and easier to sort through.

The thing I don’t understand is what is honestly different about it? For example back in Vanilla I would /who 17-22 priest whisper each one that wasn’t in an instance “Hey would you be interested in healing a deadmines?”

Now with this addon I will whisper people that applied to me “hey are you able to heal a deadmines and do you have at least an hour?” “Have you done it before we are looking to pull quick” etc.

How is the interaction different and even if it was in the actual instance I don’t see why there would be any less communication…

These addons popped up on pservers a number of times. They never caught on. I mean, there was actually a dungeon finder in classic accessed through the inn, it also never caught on.
They just don’t fit and players gravitate towards manual mode anyway.

1 Like

PepeLaugh he doesn’t know

2 Likes

So what it removed or what?