To all the people that think that flying "ruined" world PVP

Hey, what happened to that World PVP that people wanted for so long, the moment BGs came out?
When world PVP was a huge thing, what happened? Everyone complained about it and wanted BGs.

Still think that it was flying that “ruined” world PVP? World PVP happened all the time in TBC. I participated in tons of battles, you were just looking for an excuse.

33 Likes

But but but… everything about vanilla was perfect, clearly any issues were caused by something that came later.

16 Likes

Your cynicism is getting sloppy as of late.

:cactus:

3 Likes

Yea, like…
…Chocolate?

2 Likes

The problem with flying is it removes the player from the dangers of the world. You can literally go anywhere without interacting with mobs or other players. You’re always safe and the world suddenly feels less like it matters.

20 Likes

Flying would be in the top 5 greatest ideas for WoW on paper but in reality had a huge negative impact on the game.

Being able to skip over a dangerous , immersive world goes against every aspect of a mmorpg.

27 Likes

Flying didn’t ruin world pvp, had plenty of world pvp in wrath, infact some of the best pvp content made was from wrath.

Flying ruined the immersion and difficulty (by convenience) of the game, why bother clearing to your objective when you can fly there; fly into the skybox and dive down to what ever you were doing, even I did it, and I realized how boring the game got.

8 Likes

But, the way they did it (in BC and i think Wrath?), you already had to traverse things on the ground, before you reached the level that you could learn flying, and it was behind a substantial golden gate.
And you still could not fly at all in the original zones, as well as some no flight areas.

I am not sure how it works in retail now.
It appears that you can fly where ever mostly?

I can’t remember a reason to ever go back to the original zones once TBC came out. At least not on my main…

1 Like

World pvp sucks and is self-ruining.

The faster it goes away from any mmo, the better.

5 Likes

So flight paths like we had in vanilla.

9 Likes

During TBC there was flying and world pvp happened all day long, not sure what people are talking about. Current retail has flying pretty much everywhere so ya that might ruin world pvp.

1 Like

Well the game doesnt just stop once you hit cap , its meant to be long term inviestment, but in tbc and wrath atleast Blizzard made areas with flight in mind , blades edge , Stormpeaks , icecrown etc etc

Of course the game doesn’t stop, but the world becomes much less dangerous at max level(usually significantly so especially as you gear up) and you start migrating to primarily instances anywats.

it depends i guess.
I was never fond of shattrath as a place to bind, so i always went back to IF and re-entered outlands via the portal.
Shat just lacked aesthetics.

There were some repeatable quests i would go do, and my guild would always make sure people got to run through the vanilla stuff.
When they would get into the mid 40’s and 50’s it got a little hard to find people still interested in those dungeons, so if need be, we’d degear a high level (so it doesnt just totally ruin the experience) and roll back to the old world.
BC brought a lot of new players, so we had a lot of people that did not already do vanilla, so was always reason to go back for something.
And sometimes, you just wanted trees and sun and grass etc that did not entail 5000 stampeding wildlife pursued by level 68 hunters LOL

Also, on my server anyways, a lot of organized WPVP still revolved around the old world, sacking of capitol cities etc.

It gets easier for sure , but flight removes every danger from x to y , its not how an open world game is meant to work, unless its flight simulator

tbh done with this convo , its been flogged to death

1 Like

But that’s the problem, as the OP pointed out. At max level it stops being an open world game.

1 Like

No it doesnt

3 Likes

You’ll get some 20 30 hearts on this post. And there’d be some 20 people comment in here.

That’d be like super small compared to number of active players in game. And even nowhere close to the topic against AV 1.12

And if that what’d happen in this post, see it as “most players don’t give a @#£$ about flying”

Sad reality being Alliance prefer PvE.

As a PvPer myself I wanted to roll Horde but I also wanted a challenge so I chose Alliance.

Everyone being those on imbalanced servers, which was pretty much every PvP server till transfers came and Alliance jumped ship to Heartseeker where thereafter Horde complained about the imbalance and wanted BGs.

The main culprit of the complaints was because of the honor system and the change it brought to the server and atmosphere. If the honor system wasn’t in the game, I personally think it would of been better and bgs done for fun instead of this unhealthy grind you see now.

I get that ranks are #nochanges, I’m just saying that I wish a PvP system like this was never implemented in Vanilla. It changed player behavior.

1 Like