Timewalking Mage Tower was a failure

Go do the holy priest one YouTube videos were basically saying don’t do and just do shadow or disc.

Always.

I don’t compete for anything. That’s a life rule and it trumps any sort of game design that exists. I don’t even compete in Mortal Kombat, bro. I put the difficulty all the way down and do the shortest tower hundreds of times to unlock the rewards I want, and once I unlocked them, I only load the game occasionally to look at/admire them - never to fight, because I don’t find that fun.

I would hold 100% more interest for me, because I would actually do it. As it stands, I will never make the attempt.

100% of the time. Don’t challenge me or I’ll leave. Simple as that.

World of WarCraft earned my subscription for life in 2004 by advertising itself as the MMO for casuals that was “easy mode” compared to crap like EverQuest and Final Fantasy XI.

That sounds pretty unfun.

Lots of fun for me. I don’t enjoy challenges at all, and refuse to play any challenging games unless I can access the console and modify my power level freely.

Excellent! I’m glad someone finally gets it. I’ve literally been saying this for years, and people struggle to understand. At last!

I see people bring up the completion percentage as evidence of failure but wasn’t it supposed to be hard? If 20, 30, 40% of people can complete a challenge in 2 weeks then it would cease to be hard almost by definition. The 6% statistic doesn’t include all the people who didn’t try or have time to do the challenge as well. I actually think 6% shows that it wasn’t too hard and was a reasonable difficulty. Every challenge has been done in only Shadowlands Gear. Yes, certain challenges were harder than others but that’s just the reality of balancing a game with specs as numerous and diverse as WoW. Feral druid is considered much harder to use than frost mage but I don’t hear an outcry over this disparity. Furthermore, it was old content that had a purely cosmetic reward. I’m sure plenty of people who could have completed it simply chose not to.

I didn’t get super into Mage Tower but I heard from people that it was refreshing to have difficult content for a change. I personally think it upset some people because it was so different from the vast majority of WoW content which is completable by the vast majority of people. 99% of other content also allows the burden of success to be dispersed among a group whereas if you aren’t able to complete a solo challenge then there is nobody else to blame. If the challenges weren’t completable in SL gear then I would agree that it’s kind of lame design but that wasn’t the case.

1 Like

Ok so you would interact with the tower for an hour. Vs. the hundreds that put in double digit hours.

I can see why there weren’t any nerfs.

There’s plenty of other content that is not challenging at all. I recommend old raids before the Legion expansion.

2 Likes

Then switch to your easiest spec (no brainer) and get the gear and enchants. Level didn’t matter bc old gear was bis, I completed my guard druid at level 50, a few upgraded spells doesn’t matter if you are doing mechanics.
We have always geared in WoW, this isn’t new. What’s the problem?

It would be nice if it was up more often or even permanently. EW was nice, I chose to do mage tower first since I knew it was only up for 2 weeks.

1 Like

That’s what I do. The MT was a total miss for me. Not the sort of content I do. If it gets nerfed into the dirt, I’ll do it. Otherwise, it’s legacy raids, world quests, and leveling alts all day, every day.

Since we don’t know what the percentage is for completion amongst players who actually attempted at least one challenge those numbers are useless.

1 Like

That’s ok. Not all content in the game has to appeal to you.

4 Likes

Only 6%? whats the problem here? thats great!. If you can’t beat it when clearly other people of every class can achieve it. It’s clearly a you problem if you couldn’t complete the challenge in time.
Why be angry at people who are better than you? Pretty sure OP was just baiting in making this topic, but it’s the truth and it hurts :smiley:

1 Like

Obviously, I don’t agree with that design philosophy, but in the case of the MT, M+, and all group content, it holds true.

Then this content isn’t for you, and that’s okay.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s okay though. All content should be for all people.

I’m looking forward to a time when WoW’s population declines so much that grouping is impossible and all challenge-seekers have left. Then the devs would be free to design content exclusively for actual WarCraft fans instead of people who just want to socialize and struggle.

1 Like

Then it’s not really about the challenge it’s about outgearing it, isn’t it? You’d know all about that.

False, because you get certain spells and spell upgrades on your way to 60.

Sure can on some specs and if you don’t have ‘broken gear’ as you put it. Which is exactly why you didn’t do the challenges on level 45’s with unenchanted heirlooms and no consumables. You were not there for the challenge - you were there to outgear it/out level it. :wink:

1 Like

And that’s okay. You’re not going to agree with every design decision.

1 Like

That’s your opinion.

Obviously.

I wish Bliz would let things like Mage Tower stay indefinitely, or at least for a full expansion. Especially if it is for solo challenges to emphasize mastering your skills to get through said challenge. Honestly, that’s what I was hoping to get out of Torghast when it was first advertised.

Other MMO’s, like ESO, do have challenge content that stays open indefinitely. This is in addition to seasonal content. Of course it is a different MMO with completely different issues, but I would like to see WOW have content like this.