Timewalking Mage Tower was a failure

Yep, I waited a month after it ended to pull data from Data for Azeroth and…it’s abysmal. 6% player base obtainment.

6% of players have the achievement for completing just 1 of the horribly busted and frustrating towers.

How, how in any way shape or form could this ever be considered a success for anything other than making the competition look even better to an already frustrated and disenfranchised player base?

Ya needed a win Bliz, instead, ya handed it on a silver plater to Zenimax (ESO) and SquareEnix (FF14) and made your playerbase feel even more like you don’t respect the time of your players/paying customers.

79 Likes

6% is a failure, but GD will do their usual mental gymnastics.

22 Likes

Buy my enchants, gems, and consumables :heart: Support local gnomes and turn a wipefest into a new vest!

24 Likes

6% successful completion is insanely high for prestige challenge content. Then again, there are Fury Warriors, Ret Paladins, and WW Monks out there so they probably ballooned that number up.

25 Likes

Zenimax is also owned by Microsoft, so they’d probably still count that as a victory.

2 Likes

40 Likes

Oof, yeah, don’t remind me of that. I think I spent something like 275k on consumes, mostly unbridled fury pots but also greater BFA flasks.

1 Like

If you bought them on this Illidan character, thank you for your business!! :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

I didn’t do it but it’s one of those things that’s nice that it’s there.

Game needs a lot of these types of things if it’s going to have such long tiers.

8 Likes

I don’t understand why any one would think completion rate of an optional event that only rewards mediocre armor skins, during the first of many Legion time walking events matters, or why anyone would equate that with the over all success or failure of the entire game.

Oh right … outrage posts = clicks = responses = dopamine hits. Hope this one gives you the fix you’re after :wink:

21 Likes

Sounds more like a problem with player skill. :woman_shrugging:
Not to mention as soon as people realized that it was actually hard… suddenly they didn’t care/didn’t like the rewards so didn’t even put in solid effort.
People also complained about the easy solo bis gear and enchants they could get for the tower to help get them their mogs. You can only do so much for people that come up with excuses any time difficulty is involved.

10 Likes

I don’t think it was meant to have a 100% success rate. I’m curious, out of the data, how many were simply from players that didn’t even try?

6 Likes

So 6% completed at least one Mage Tower challenge.

What is the percentage of players that actually engaged with the Mage Tower?

The Mage Tower gave me something very fun to challenge myself with for a few days. Took me almost 100 pulls to complete the guardian challenge. Fel Werebear is amazing! Wish there was more content in the game like the Mage Tower.

23 Likes

Sure, but how many players actually even attempted it?

I’d rather see the number of people that completed vs how many people attempted.

“6% of players” is a tiny number that doesn’t even reflect the interest level. Personally, I didn’t even care and never stepped foot into the Mage Tower.

4 Likes

Weren’t you the one that tried to get Blizz to nerf the mage tower under the pretense of helping disabled people?

10 Likes

6 Likes

What was the percent of players that completed it the first time around? Also, percent completed doesnt determine success or failure, it wasn’t supposed to be a guaranteed win, it was challenge content

6 Likes

Yeah, I loved Mage Tower because it was mostly challenging.

You know what was boring? When I did Fury Warrior and I beat it in 2 pulls. And I only died because I did it 100% blind and had no idea what was even going on the first pull. That wasn’t fun, that was basically a glorified world quest. Using the % of players who beat content as a metric for success is utter nonsense. If anything, the smaller number of players who beat something the better, that means those who beat it probably had a satisfying challenge and spent many hours that ultimately resulted in fun, as opposed to just a nothing burger.

Kids in this thread legit trying to argue Korthia is a “success” because many people have done a Korthia Daily, lol.

4 Likes

I, too, can extrapolate data to inaccurately attempt to prove a point.

6 Likes

I don’t think the mage tower was ever made with the intention that anyone that waltzes in gets the appearances. Saying the mage tower failed because not alot of people did it is kinda like saying mcdonalds is a failure because it doesn’t offer enough vegan options. Never was intended to do so.

10 Likes