Time to kill the elitism

Oh, sometimes they just don’t know.

It isn’t a black and white “this stat is the goodest for this spec always”, it can vary by pull length, pack size, manner in which you’re pulling/route, talents, player ability, etc. Usually people just go for what they think is the best general stuff.

1 Like

You can’t kill elitism. Take away ilvls , inspect feature, DPS feature, weak auras, everything you can and elitism doesn’t go away.

The problem is if something is going wrong a player with an Elitist mentality will be looking to point the finger. Just to remind everyone, Elistist can be good at the game or terrible, being Elitist doesn’t mean being Elite. Anyway, take all those things away and players will still blame someone even with no information.

If we want to go a step further I could just watch what spells someone is casting if I really cared that much. Only 7 chaos bolts in 7 minutes? Starsurge 6 times on a boss? Never saw wings from the Ret pally? The list goes on, but the point is those with an Elitist mindset will figure out ways to still judge.

How problems like this are solved is when either Blizzard cracks down on toxic behavior or when the Community doesn’t just sit back and let these Elitists get their way. If you care you will stand up for your fellow players when someone runs their mouth, problem is most people won’t.

10 Likes

Well said and so true. Also, very sad to me.

5 Likes

Yep. More information than what the standard UI provides is always nice. In my opinion if peolpe are using damage meters to shame others, that’s a personal problem and those are the peolpe who are using it wrong.

2 Likes

yeah I figure that’s the case for many of them. And it’s precisely because of that that I like using meters to sort of figure it out on my own, what works and what doesn’t, instead of relying on guides and such. Guides just TELL people what could work, the meter actually confirms it (to a degree).

Yeah, it’s basically one persons opinion of what’s good, so who writes it and where they’re getting their information from is quite important.

I vaguely recall the script for some sim being broken at one point which resulted in it spitting out bad stat weights that people until that point had been parroting as fact despite them not actually being good.

Everybody just went off what the sim said, but the person who set it up had the sim pressing buttons incorrectly which skewed results.

Another interesting thing was sockets in BFA PvP; we didn’t know that they made us weaker (they added item levels to gear, which due to scaling buffed enemies, but it buffed them more in an attempt to compensate than it buffed us by having the sockets) until several months into the final season.

Elitism will always be a thing aslong as content is not doable for everyone and many other factors.

I guess I have been lucky in this game. I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, how many times I have run into toxic people in WoW. I really think it might be luck, but then again, I tend to take things with a grain of salt.

However, after playing FFXIV (please no hate for that), I can honestly stay removing things like DPS meters really might cut down on some toxicity. I understand completely why people wouldn’t want that. I am even iffy about it, because I use DPS meters to help me improve at the game, but I think it’s undeniable that having them brings out the worst in some people.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind all addons being gone, at this point they are almost playing the game for you in a way. But then again, I 100% appreciate the time and effort the addon authors put into creating these things.

I am just unsure if most WoW players would actually want them taking away (including me at times). It just a hard question to answer, while I agree that some external things like addons create toxicity, they also create fun as well.

1 Like

It’s my perception that you can’t kill elitism. About all you can do is find people who view the game like you do and make friends. If you are too shy/anti-social/non-gregarious a person to do that, then your choices are to skip content, put up with the toxicity of LFD/LFR or find another game to play. It’s not up to Blizzard to fix the way the player-base is.

4 Likes

Going to assuming this is supposed to be gear score?
Unless you know of a gear store that I’m unaware of.

Lol this is some revisionist history. Vanilla was Toxic AF.

7 Likes

Is it Sunday already?

If that’s really what you think, I don’t think you were their in the beginning. Any player from that time would say it was worst and way more “toxic”

1 Like

I genuinely have no idea what Blizzard was thinking when they basically implimented elitism as a feature in 9.1 with publically availiable Mythic+ scores.

They might as well have just said: “Coming back for 9.1? Go away. No one wants to play with you.”

5 Likes

That’s just your history, though? It’s relevant. If you’re doing a +17 then you don’t want to grab somebody who has only done 3 +9s, even if they’re sufficiently geared. Experience/knowledge is very important.

3 Likes

It’s also worth noting that most of the “toxicity” in this community doesn’t come from the top tier players, it’s the lower-middle tier players who think they’re better than they are. The nicest guys I know in game are Glads and Rank1’s, the absolute worst players I’ve encountered have been in random battlegrounds.

Side note: Just noticed the OP is from Moon Gaurd, because of course they are.

6 Likes

… you’re not wrong. But that is literally elitism.

Blizzard has given you the tools to exclude players with less experience than you and marketed it as a feature in 9.1.

Yeah, which is why I’m not sure what you were saying. The patch barely changed anything because people already looked at third party sites to see if you were able to contribute to the run.

If this whole ordeal isn’t your cup of tea then you are free to do either low keys or normal/heroic/mythic runs and invite anybody without looking at their ilev/io.

It’s not rocket science. Enough players had the addon, and enough complain about not wanting to get the addon and blaming their lack of participation in that, that Blizzard decided to put it Stock in the game.

And in the same time, made it possible to double the time it took to get KSM, and make it character-bound.

1 Like

Lol this is some revisionist history. Vanilla was Toxic AF

Extremely, and the cliques were far worse than what we got with people on Classic and SoM.

4 Likes

All I’m saying is Blizzard literally put the tools at the players fingertips to estimate players skill level and chose to exclude them.

They literally implimented elitism as a feature.

I’m not blaming players like you for using the tools Blizzard provided… but I’m surprised so many are like “surprise pikachu face” when I call it what it is.