Time to balance the game around 1v1

When dueler’s guild and rated 1v1 arena become the premier modes of play then we can talk about balancing specs that way.

Until then, I’m happy with team play being the center of PvP design.

1 Like

Let me know when theres such a thing as rated 1v1 or when theres not sharding killing duelers guild.

I remeber mop on the spine there was tons of dueling and there would be tons of people dueling now if sharding wasnt a trainwreck.

1 Like

Not just spine but in the shrines and in front of org/sw

I am good with balancing a game around team play. The biggest issue with dueling atm are these spineless players issuing challenges and not paying on their debt when they get murked (making all kinds of excuses why they should’nt) have lost, kind of kills the whole 1v1 honor duels and creates tension.

1 Like

Considering that has already happened, it literally can’t get any worse. PvP has been garbage since MoP cause you have certain classes that are always in the top 5 and you have god tier healers that take a few people to kill them cause ether MS effects are only on a few specs or you have to hope they don’t pop dcds while they are CC’d or else your burst is null and void.

1 Like

Exactly my point. Objective-based team games are the focus of PvP and should always be. Dueling is a fun thing to do on the side.

Aw here with go again :roll_eyes:. The kung fu panda expansion was the epitome of player versus player and since that standard of incredible gameplay is unattainable now… we may as well go for broke and balance for 1v1? Uh, why?

Yet that’s why pvp is so good now? And why it has record lvl participation?

If there’s another MMO with a more healthy PvP scene than this, I’m all ears. ESO? FFXIV?

I’m not comparing wow to another mmo I’m comparing it to itself

It’s an aging game that’s competing with increasingly more advanced and varied game concepts year after year. The population is going to ebb and flow. Mostly ebb.

There may have been more active PvP participation when your health was either 100% or 0% and when misses/resists/RNG stuns determined fights but that doesn’t mean that was a healthier game state. There are too many external factors to narrow it down to one or two things.

An aging game that got a release of a 15 year old version of it that’s become incredibly popular again as well, so I don’t see how them keeping up with other concepts has to do with it. They may see the business model going that way but players don’t want what they keep throwing at us. As can be seen by many of the bring back MoP, wotlk, tbc style pvp topics. Pvp was better before they tried to keep up with the new age gaming market

It explains in part why subscription numbers are dwindling. People who point to sub counts as evidence that their favorite expansion is best are being willfully disingenuous.

These topics have cropped up during each and every iteration of the game without exception and they mean nothing. In three expansions, you’ll see threads pleading for a return to BfA PvP.

I don’t think PvP was better before. At all. You do and that’s fine but don’t present yourself as a voice for a majority.

1 Like

While I understand where you’re coming from the aging game argument doesn’t hold much water as we see that hasn’t really effected games in other genres like mobas for example.

Personally I’m not the most knowledgeable person on these topics even though I’m trying to get better, but I hope that they’ll at some point just separate balance between arena and whatever other content that is needed from each other. It would make things a bit hard in some ways of course, but if it’s not possible to make wide spread balancing decisions that work then I don’t see another option.

It’s ok that a minority population still enjoys this version of wow, that’s why classic is out. That way people who enjoy bfa and onward style pvp can continue play it while others can play classic. You’re always going to think you’re right and I’m not here to change your mind. Yet pvp has seen better days than what’s out right now, and that’s not just due to an aging game.

For PvP content?

Classic is not good for PvP … the balance between classes is terrible. The lack of CRZ and sharding make it enjoyable but staying in Poly for 30 secs ? Give me a break .

This has been said in every expansion.

Just as an example, I remember vividly how WOD was “the worst expansion ever and the end of WOW,” “WOD ruined the community.” We had a good PVP gearing system then.

Players on the Forum and especially who post in this Forum are a very small % of the population.

WOW has a lot of very well made, well liked, (in today’s world) competition that wasn’t around in the past. Big gaming companies are about making money, not making great games. The people making World of Warcraft are walking a fine line. They must make money, have growth, and satisfy the majority of players at the same time.

There are so many other things pulling people to other activities besides playing an MMORPG that requires significant commitment.

There you go again…

Is there anything at all to suggest that there are more active players in classic than retail right now? I’d be completely shocked if that were the case.

You realize they didn’t suddenly change their mentality after mop to “we need to balance around 3v3”… They’ve been balancing around arenas since TBC.

1v1 balancing isn’t a thing.

None at all. We have zero numbers. Wouldn’t surprise me though if there were more pvpers playing classic than retail right now (or at least equal). Pve though retail is for sure winning.

Yeah the difference is the class and their tookits allowed people to be able to compete against each other in a somewhat far fashion, compared to now where most classes have been pruned to death and simply cant do anything but bend over with their rock paper scissor mentality