Time Investment for full ilvl 197

(This isn’t a crying post about imbalance, just sharing my grind results)

I recently started an alt with the sole intention of gearing as fast as I could through the honor system, and I wanted to share the results. I know there are a lot of similar threads about gear and different opinions, but just wanted to share some feedback. I didn’t really want to run anything but BGs, and only diverted from that a little. I didn’t care about losing, and expected it with gear disparity, but i figured i could make the most difference in epics due to things like objectives and vehicles.

Most games, I gave it my all, but in Ashran if things looked like a stomp, I would run artifact routes most the games with leaping/sprinting to get an extra 400-500 honor each game.

I mainly ran eBGs as alliance since it seemed to be the best honor per hour. Here is the breakdown.

• It took me ~3 Days and 3 Hours, but i did a few H-CN bosses, 2x4 farm, and had to farm a little bit of renown so we will call it 72 hours.

• Other than eBGS, i ran the weekly skirmishes quest this week for the 2k honor, and ran 4 RBGs last week for the quest as well.

• I might be a little off in my calculations, but pretty close on most of it.

Reflex Link - https://imgur.com/a/ETpNcwc (Some of the skirmishes got looped in as well as 4 RBGS, will mention later)

Total Honor Gained: 91,478 (Had 278 leftover, so 91,200 total needed)
Total Conquest Gained: 1605 (I tried to do weeklies when i could)
28 Wins / 92 Losses 23.3%

1. Alterac Valley - 5 wins, 30 Losses 14.28%
    Honor Total - 16,085 High - 887 Low - 188 Average - 460 (22.75 HpM)

2. Ashran - 5 wins, 21 Losses 19.23%
    Honor Total - 9,170 High - 1219 Low - 133 Average - 353 (21.88 HpM)
    Im pretty sure the honor from frags is not reflected in this count

3. Wintergrasp - 10 wins, 18 Losses 35.71%
    Defense - 10 games, 10 Wins
    Offense - 18 Games, 18 Losses
    Honor Total - 16,668 High - 826 Low - 258 Average - 595 (19.84 HpM)

4. Isle of Conquest - 8 wins, 23 Losses 25.8%
    Honor Total - 11,937 High - 587 Low - 243 Average - 385 (29.99 HpM)

• After writing all this, i realize a large part of my honor income was from quests, ashran turn ins, and some skirms/rbgs. I ran 4 rbgs one week, and won 1 to complete the quest. I also ran about 30 skirms to finish the quest the following week. So with looking at the results from this experiment it looks like a little over half the needed honor came from the actual bgs. Im not 100% but it could take about double this time investment if you dont do quests.

So the plan was to cap what I can, grab renown from wins along the way, and grind the 22 renown when it was needed. With my super low win rate, I figured I could get a decent amount of wins and maybe cap that way but after 11 or 12, wins stopped giving renown. Not exactly sure how it works but i got it from every win up to that point and it was random after. I really see how peoples eyes glaze over in some of these BGS, like most have mentioned, and even though it was pretty fast honor…to a degree, i wouldn’t do it this way again.

Almost didnt post this since after typing it out and adding up the results from reflex, its crazy how ~40% of the honor isnt visible.

5 Likes

Interesting thread, following…

Your experience seems to match the numbers others are reporting as well. A decent number of posters have been speculating/running numbers on this topic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/ksi9wv/honor_gear_upgrade_costs/

By any chance, did you keep track of how many Renowns dropped from the bgs you played?

Honor points/honor farming has already been talked about a lot, but the exact Renown drop-rates remain elusive/vague.

Would be interesting to see someone record their exact number of bg wins versus the exact number of Renown tokens that dropped… so we can calculate the rough % chance of the drop-rate.

I don’t have screenshots or anything since it isn’t something visible in chat log, but my first 12 wins gave me one, after that it took me a few (5-6) wins before one gave me my 13th renown token. After that i never received one

1 Like

Thank you. Maybe I’ll run my own experiment on the Renown thing.

My latest alt is 58, I’ll probably ding 60 over the next few days and hop in there to start the honor farm.

One more thing I just noticed…

I’m assuming this is a typo? Never heard of offense winning 10 times.

I’m guessing you meant to say “10 games, 10 losses” - it’s all good though :relieved:

yeah thanks ill fix that lol, i just started my mage and hes almost 60, ill let you know how the renown goes!

You got more win in WG than anyone else this Xpac

Someone should have told you this was a mistake lol.

I must be crazy I have done it 5 times now working on a 6th. I enjoy the process but at this point in the season it is time for a catch up of some sort.

1 Like

Everyone is farming level 50 random bgs for Honor. Super fast. I got a 54 shammy with 15 k Honor already. Doing dungeons now for level

1 Like

Seems like a typical sample. Particularly when you consider the postings of so many Horde who brag about accomplishing 197 in 1/3 the time.

Like unto that which makes the heart hard, is this.

Honor per hour is faster as Alliance due to the queue times and bonus, even if you lose your majority of games.

I actually found grinding honor on a horde alt much noticeably slower since a win is about the same value as an alliance loss, but with 8-12 min queues vs instant-2 mins + bonus.

:clown_face:

1 Like

TBh, I found the gearing to be very equivalent in time on both factions. This could change if wait times continue to increase.

Promising news indeed. With a couple hours to play per day max, right at a month per toon to gear. I should have all my alts in reasonable ilvl gear by the time it’s 2 patches behind. :partying_face:

EZ :clap:

1 Like