Thoughts on the proposed shadow changes

That’s not something I will be doing. But their comments / lack of willingness to provide feedback to make what we have now got as good as possible, does sadden me.

5 Likes

I still recall how she said: “Shadow Priest isn’t for you now.”

Now she knows how this feels, and how most of us have felt for four miserable years. I am sorry for her, but I won’t respond to her at this point, because unless she showcased a willingness to heed other views beside her own, and work with the greater community as a whole; I see little reason to trade words with her.

Right now we need to focus on giving feedback on the changes, not fighting them as she seems to for petty reasons. She should consider herself fortunate. Legacy of the Void will allow her to at least have the playstyle she wants somewhat. No such affordance was given to the rest of us who mained Priest for near a decade or more.

5 Likes

As much as I’d like to make all feedback in favor of Legion/BFA Void Form disappear I don’t necessarily think that’s fair or professional.

I’ve already had a few moments where I’ve been rude to Blizz on the feedback forums and it would be hypocritical of me to bash Shot or Nyelle for defending something that they loved. My displayed frustration was significantly less intense than what happened earlier but anger or frustration can come out in many different forms.

Even if I don’t agree with their opinions I think it should be heard. I think they deserve to have the spec that they are passionate about, just not shadow priest, because that’s not what shadow was before and it shouldn’t have been forced into it to begin with. But arguing incessantly in a place that should be displaying brief periods of thought and reflection on the current situation is a bit unacceptable.

It’s important to remember that the feedback forums are there as a way to discuss something with Blizzard and not insult each other based on the feedback they give.

This.

2 Likes

i know right. “shadow isnt for you.” like wtf? ive been playing priest since vanilla. maining it since tbc. what do you mean its not for me? ryeshot is an entitled pos.

1 Like

Not banning for disagreement. Banning for spamming without constructive feedback. That thread isnt for back and forth nonsense

4 Likes

Not going to say a PoS myself, but definitely s/he’s been very condescending and rude.

Well I’m not on the beta, so I’ll leave it to you guys consensus.

Edit:

Here’s the post for people who wonder what we’re speaking of. Linxy posted the changes, and the first words to come out of Rye’s mouth was this give or take. It was very much a “You didn’t do what I commanded, so I’m taking my toys and going home” statement.

ill say it. ryeshot can get bent.

3 Likes

That’s fair. I just don’t want to see this whole thing go to pot after how hard everyone’s worked because of a few people who are spamming or attacking people trying to get the class back into a workable state. The changes are solid ones and this feels like a step in the right direction finally.

1 Like

I have to agree. Seeing all of that unravel on the feedback forums was kind of worrying. More in a sense of “this is can get this entire thing thrown out and we are back to square one” rather than “this is uncalled for and unprofessional.”

We made significant progress with these changes. The fact that Void Form is still present allows players who enjoy it to have the peace of mind that it could be used elsewhere, anyway. Whether they choose to find peace in that or not it is still there. When we lost Devo Plague it was just gone.

7 Likes

So what if each dot has a base 2% chance to proc a charge of MB and it being instant cast. With this, you can mass dot things had have several 2% chance procs happening which would be more then single target given enough targets but not go crazy with mind seer because…

Mind Flay will double the proc chance for each tick (only Mind Flay btw, mind seer will not add extra proc chance). So 3 dots at 2% each = 6% * 5 stacks * 2 from mind flay = 40-60% proc chance pending 2-3 dots.
If that’s too much, then maybe base proc chance at 1% to reduce it to 20-30% chance to proc per tick. So you should get 1 proc each mind flay? Maybe that’s too powerful still?
OR
1 proc chance per complete mind flay? But then that feels bad if you have to clip MF early do to movement or w/e.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Lets say baseline 1% per dot.
Dot up 2 dots on 5 targets. So we are at 10% (5 targets, 2 dots at 1% each).
Main target you have 2 dots & DP and Mind Flay (6% per mind flay tick * 5 stacks for 30% + 12% from all 5 targets dots ticking = 30% per MF tick + 12% per dot tick?

ugg. it gets weird when you add the procing to both baseline dots and an amplifier to Mind Flay. hrmmm…

like where you are going but here is my suggestion. what if Mind flay have its on proc chance only available if target have dots on him

so like %3(adjustable) chance per dot and if dots are on the target Mindflay adds %2 per dot. so with out Mindflay max chance would be %9 and with Mindflay %15

it should proc with or without Mindflay, mindflay will only increase the proc chance slightly

If I’m trading scalability on targets for consistency / value on single target I’d prefer single target. Especially because we already have psychic link to buff mind blast in aoe.

9% per target? That would get out of hard quickly wouldn’t?

I guess lets ask this question…

What should be the proc chance “ceiling” for 5 targets?
20%? 50%? etc?

Then we need to divide whatever number is suitable for that many targets by our dots count into proc % chance.

Edit:

4 (secondary targets) (2 dots * 3% *4 targets = 24%)
1 (primary target) (3 dots * 3% * 2 Mind Flay = 18%)
18% (single target) + 24% (secondary targets)

Total = 42% chance per ticking damage?

1 Like

well Lava surge is %15 proc per Flame shock tick and Flame shock can be maintained on 3 targets. so that’s %45 per tick…I will go with something like that,but my main issue with it is that as of right now it will only proc if you are channeling Mindflay/Mindsear. I would like if the proc is not gated by Mindflay and Mindsear, it would feel amazing if you had to reposition and as you move it procs

That’s why I wanted to move “some” proc chance to the dot itself and it being separate from Mind flay activation.
In this case, 24% on 4 targets or… 6% on 1 target.

I think that’s fair?

Edit:

The problem is though, the stacking proc rate on Mind Flay. It can skyrocket to close to 50% per tick. That means you can get 2-3 procs per mind flay regularly. Is that too much? I think so per Mind Flay.

1 Like

I see maybe then just simply don’t gate it behind Mind flay/Mind Sear and put a max cap to it like maybe 3-5 targets.

I also want to talk about the new Shadow Apparition rework. I love it however I would like if Mind flay is also a generator, like it has a %10 proc per tick and if it crits its guarantees to generate a ghosty. I think that would be better then tying it with the mind blast proc.

Perhaps… but how does it know what targets it will have a chance to proc from? Like if I put 2 dots on 5 targets and then DP a 6th, with the quick DP ticks be counted? or wasted?

Maybe instead… make the overall proc chance maxed out at lets say 40% so regardless of your Mind Flay stacks or dots on targets, you only get a max of 40% chance to proc… period.

I am confused as to the point of this talent now TBH.
It worked as an “passive” shadow orb/insanity generator. But any action placed upon this to combine it with an “active” ability to generate or “maybe” generate just sounds bad.

It sounds like your fishing for Orbs again back in Cata with Mind Flay. That is something I think we should avoid.

Really happy with the changes.
Devouring plague being a BIG damage burst spell feels so satisfying like in WoD.

For the guys who liked VF, I mean I don’t understand why they throw so much hate. Like devs didn’t even erased it from the game, like they literally gave them a Talent to still go the spec they like. Meanwhile the ones who loved previous systems of shadow priests were forced to play the void form playstyle.

Hope the people who has the beta try this and start making content for us! I’m very happy for these news.

6 Likes

Looking at the new shadow changes makes me excited. I was planning on playing shadow anyway since its my main ranged character, but there are some things I noticed on the talents that make some seem disproportionately better.

For example I’ve seen some people say damnation looks like a fairly solid talent since it cuts globals and gives a free devouring plague, but a fair number of new talents are already filing that niche, and misery already exists for the vamp+pain efficient application niche. Searing nightmare similarly saves more globals if you have several targets and assuming the damage is existent might be usable in mostly single target fights where you mix in a sear and pop nightmare to reapply pain. Void torrent has been a sleeper since it can’t compete with lingering insanity but it still gives a whole devouring plague worth of insanity while also getting the new dot refresh which at worst will be most of another devouring plague so in essence void torrent gives like 2 devouring plagues worth of value+vamp/pain refresh. And this is assuming refresh doesn’t count the potential increased duration provided by void bolt which may lead to a 12-14 second devouring plague which you just refresh and get massive value for, though at that point your inevitably gonna cap on single target since devouring plague is our only spender.

Another one that I think might take the game by storm is surrender to madness on the assumption that it does not replace voidform. Before surrender to madness was built to make a extra long voidform and that was bad design for the reasons why void form was bad in most content. Now however its another void form on a separate 90 second cd that gives free insanity, full movement, and 100% sanity generation(which is also a problem since you know one spender and its a dot that doesn’t stack to my knowledge) on the caveat that you can find a target that will die in 25 seconds each time you cast it. For m+ that is going to be insane, for pvp that is going to be amusing for someone, and for raid fights that is totally going to be based on fight. I don’t think double voidform uptime can lose in value versus the other two talents except when in cases where you can’t get that kill and even then the execute value might be there.

While writing this I’ll repeat my concern of having only two ways to spend insanity and neither of them are perfect for avoiding overcapping sanity on single target. Naturally I’d like to test that myself, but I’m in the no beta club, if I’m wrong that would be great, but I would like to see some testing with what I said in mind.

Detailed info on WoWHead: