Thoughts on profession catchup for cata?

With the cap now being 525 its a giant pain to reroll professions. Any thoughts to add something to the game that might smooth this out, even more so now that we know the length of cata is much shorter?

I’d rather it be unchanged, just wait for when it gets seperated by expansion (idk what expac that happened). Wouldn’t mind if it changes to that early but an outright “profession boost” I believe isn’t a good idea.

1 Like

That happened in legion so its still a ways away

Really? That late? I thought it came in like MoP, well I fully support it to come early whether that’s in Cata or in MoP.

Cata includes darkmoon island which I believe introduced the once a month 5 point easy profession quests. Hoping so. I have a couple toons that may not hit 450 by then. Also, I think the trainer gives you cata stuff that starts at 425 or thereabouts. Orbs should go unbound too if they have not already.

I fully support it to not come

2 Likes

What’s so bad about professions being seperated by their expansion?

Killing the old worlds, removing value from older versions of professions.

When it takes hours to level a crafting profession I believe that having it be seperated is a good idea, I’d understand not wanting the change because of gathering professions but no one likes having to spend hours crafting and doing nothing just so one can get to max level in a crafting profession.

I do see your point though, it would make less people do older content to fill out the previous expansions professions.

what value? people just buy the mats off the AH to power level through the old crap so they can get to the current level of the profession.

1 Like

Bingo. Transmog is the only real value on a lot of the older stuff. Maybe a few engineer trinkets and toys. What I didn’t like about the separation was that Darkmoon fair points were being allocated to the highest bracket you trained for. So if you wanted to do it in order, you had to hold off on training the newer categories or farm old areas if no one was selling things you need. And it’s so easy to just spam train them all since they are on top of trainer’s list

That is a form of value. It gives purpose to it, keeps it relevant.

The profession - like the player levels - are about advancement. learning how to make a simple dagger or a bolt of cloth again with different materials feels like a downgrade for a master blacksmith or tailor.

Good point, it does remove the “zero to hero” progression of professions. This mainly effects the people that switch professions a lot, personally I don’t, I’m set in the professions I have on all of my characters and I have no issue leveling them once. I guess profession flip-floppers will have to deal with this down side (that being how long it takes and the mats needed) until Legion.

I wouldnt hate to see them speed up skill gains tho. Maybe 1-300 get more than 1 skill up per craft or gather or whatever. That would be a nice middle ground. As someone dropping JC to skill mining for cata to set up my engineering stuff only to drop mining and go tailoring its a hefty commitment. And some will do alchemy between all of that for the trinket too

Why should it be made easier? It’s already simple to level, gives purpose to gathering profs.

I just gathered up all my mats ahead of time

Crusade already made 1-300 easier. Wrath did it for 300-375. They both lowered the level/cost for mounts. Wrath also increased the speed of the regular flying mount, which was stupidly slow in crusade. An indirect change is the old zones all being deserted, meaning there’s not even competition for resources anymore.

In other words, stop being lazy.

They coukd do the retail professions just lvl the xpac u are on

Im fully in support of a catchup mechanic, or to simply purchase the mats from a vendor rather than the AH (for previous xpac’s). Currently as the mats are not on the AH or if they are they are very expensive. So only option is to farm my mats… and i realised quickly that maybe i dont want to level professions lmao.