Thoughts On A Gender Neutral Race?

What are your thoughts on a gender neutral race? Something like the ethereals that don’t really have a set in stone gender because all of their organic features were ripped apart when their planet was destroyed?

6 Likes

if they were going to do this, they could actually just make a third option for all current races to have a “neutral” option. That would be probably more well received by those who want it.

5 Likes

Why are you so fixated on gender in a video game?

101 Likes

The only gender neutral race I am willing to accept is a hard fantasy lore friendly creature that makes sense. I can’t think of a single one to be honest and I just don’t think fits with the warcraft genre.

4 Likes

I don’t care.

37 Likes

I don’t honestly care. If they put one in, great. I’ll level them regardless of their gender (or lack thereof.)

I’d level a cardboard box, to be honest, if it were an available choice. Just to have it.

“Hey man, you level up your cardboard box yet?”

“Yeah, mine’s max level and I’m working on my funnel now!”

22 Likes

How would this be done? Do you need to be anatomically neutral (somehow) to be gender neutral? Seems like this falls more into a RP catagory.

5 Likes

If they are legit that way in the lore then sure, but even ethereals have genders. Or used to at least. There had to have been male spirits and female ones before the incident, we just haven’t really met the girls yet.

It’s not really a big deal if there is, but I think races with clear two genders are more likely to happen. Because that’s how most biological mortal races are. There’s no real point to have to do a neutral one.

4 Likes

It could be a rock. Just a simple, not-anthropomorphic rock. With armor and weapons leaning up against it, haphazardly, but still somehow usable.

That might work.

But it would have to be an Alliance race, because if it were Horde, the orcs would be always trying to eat it, and the Horde has enough internal tensions as it is.

6 Likes

Don’t ask me, I’m not sure. Maybe just a few models/options that have no particular set of genitals; like you could choose the feminine night elf model, but have it without a chest. Stuff like that.

Not sure Blizzard ever would though - and it’s also not my fight. Just an easier suggestion than what OP put down, since it would be less compromising and “other” (I think the goal for most of them isn’t to feel othered, but included)

Oh I actually found some concept art floating around
http://bensbargains.net/thecheckout/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/neutral-futurama-propaganda-poster.jpg

8 Likes

Ethereals still have sexes.

4 Likes

We already have Dwarves OP

3 Likes

That’s actually instantly what I thought of when I read the OP.

2 Likes

Gender neutral options for existing races is iffy to me. However, you can’t know an ethereal’s or arakkoa’s gender until you hear their voice, so I approve of races like those being added (with two voice options available though, like in FFXIV)

3 Likes

I wouldn’t care beyond the quibble that it would limit transmog / cosmetic selection by removing the second phenotype that other races offer - although that could be addressed to a degree by offering two variants of the gender-neutral race.

Saurok, or some kind of as-of-yet-discovered lizard species, would make a great gender-neutral race.

2 Likes

I suppose Ethereals

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/unoffical-playable-ethereal-discussion-thread/836012

1 Like

“Thoughts on wearing blue Hanes underwear on Tuesdays versus black Calvin Klein on Sundays?” :clown_face:

2 Likes

I actually consider Vulpera to be pretty gender neutral, they actually aren’t of course but the differences seem very minor. I had no problem with Everquest Iksar females having zero mammalian sexual effects (for them the females were lighter, had more colorful faces, bigger eyes for whatever reason, and a head frill, that was it), so yes, more of that but bring the non-mammals with it.

1 Like