This needs a blue response

I don’t make forum posts very often - probably a handful of times in the 15+ years I’ve been playing this game. I’m not trying to play the auction house or worried about the value of a profession - but I do understand that is a part of the game that many players do enjoy.

But I would like to understand how something like this can be allowed to take place. Jewelcrafting. What are you doing? I have very little time to play this game, I don’t have 10 max level alts, or anything like that. I use professions to help my characters a very little bit, usually at the start of raid tiers, etc. Like right now in 8.2. I decided for the first time in YEARS to actually try to max my professions right off the bat so I could make useful items to help my character in the new raid/M+/dungeon content. I have engineering and JC. Engineering was a piece of cake to level - albeit expensive - but I was able to do it, make the new helm, learn the heroic level recipe, and already have all the materials to make that once the raid drops and I collect the new item needed.

Jewelcrafting is another story. I have bought probably 50-60K worth of osmenite ore on the auction house, prospected all of it, and I have 50-75 of all the other gems EXCEPT the ones I need to make the 410!!! ring (which is a downgrade). I have 6 of one and 9 of the other. and need 35 of each. then i’ll need 40 more of each for the heroic ring, and 45 of each for the mythic ring.

THIS IS CLEARLY A BUG AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED. It shouldn’t take a forum post to make something so obviously screwed up get some attention. It should have been hotfixed on day 3 of the 8.2 drop. Or - what a concept - fixed during the PTR. If it is “working as intended” - then you guys really don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of ever understanding what has gone wrong with WoW.

I truly hope you read this and actually give a crap enough to do something about it.

11 Likes

my tip for you is to pretend gear crafting professions (including making rings from JC) don’t exist for the rest of BFA

more and more signs are pointing to the suggestion that BFA is running on a skeleton crew in terms of anything involving balance or quality assurance, such as doing almost zero tuning on the PTR regarding dead talents and azerite traits

7 Likes

I’m holding on to my ore for awhile in case there is a hotfix for this.

2 Likes

Prices for the green/red gems are crazy. I’m not going to spend over 1 million gold to make my JC rings 1 of which is a downgrade. Ive done some prospecting and have gotten very few of these gems.

At this point just going to forget about JC and settle for whatever rings I get from drops I guess.

At the very least give us shrines in the new zones so after a few weeks we can craft/recraft our rings.

3 Likes

This is lack of foresight on a whole new level.
Blizzard cannot even balance professions… /yawn

6 Likes

Not only that, but they are purposefully screwing us all over by make these things BoP. What is the point of that, we need a way to make some money. Crafting should be a reliable way to make income.

6 Likes

Yes it should

And in vanilla-MOP gear crafting professions were a reliable source of gold, often based on raid-found mats that were NOT BOP and the final product NOT BOP. There was also a decent progression within the profession with crafted gear of varying level, again all BOE, unlike now where it’s garbage notorious gear (370) or gear dependent on raiding.

3 Likes

Your experience is obviously better than mine then, I NEVER made gold with armor crafting professions. Wasn’t until WoD’s upgrade mechanics that I made money with my leatherworking. Other than possibly belt buckles during WotLK with blacksmithing.

1 Like

I would generally agree with this. I made things and sold them for gold but usually not for overall profit during an expansion. You also need to figure in the lost opportunity cost of not selling the raw mats farmed to level the profession. They are not “free”.

Tailoring in BC may be an exception as Neatherweave fell from the skys in BC.

2 Likes

The only time crafters made money in Vanilla - Wrath (excluding alchemists) was at the end of the expansion when people were looking to gear up alts in craftable raid equivalent gear. And even then, it wasn’t all that much.

I’m a “professional” Jewelcrafter. I keep track of the market, post gems every night, and cut them as needed.

This patch, I’ve spent well over 200k on Jewelcrafting, and I have prospected maybe 8 or 9 Azsharine. The situation is ridiculous.

They either need to up the prospecting rate of Azsharine and Sage Agate to match the other colored gems, or cut the amount required for the ring by a factor of 10, or make the rings BOE so we can sell million gold rings to raiders and recoup the cost.

4 Likes

Nothing new here , i have been a j/c since the creation of Death Knight class ,I have all the designs or recipes before BFA but 4 ,when BFA came out I realised that was the end of the line. It is worst for inscription ,they want to get rid of professions as well as flying , we now have candy crush quests in 8.2 .I got 3 days of free play recently and i used it well as it is coming to the end i will not resub that’s for sure the state of the game is just horrible .

1 Like

It will be better when the bug that is preventing Rank 2/3 osmenite mining is fixed. Right now the prices of osmenite are almost twice what Zin’anthid is going for because the supply is much lower then the demand. Once we can rank up, the supply will increase, and the price will drop. 50-60k when its going for 90g a piece is really only around 500-600 ore.

No, that’s not really going to help all that much. We need about four thousand osmenite ore per ring. That’s the problem.

Also, plenty of people have rank 3 osmenite. My gathering slave included.

4 Likes

I agree the drop rates don’t seem remotely sane. the estimate of 4000 ore per ring sits about right. so that’s ~12,000 total . I might not be the most efficient farmer, but I have both rank 3 for the ore and I still only get about ~300 ore/hr. At that rate its literally a 40 hour work week to make a JC only ring…in a game. And doesn’t seem even remotely comparable to the time investment required of the other professions recipes.

Oh and since the stats are random the chance your getting away with making ONLY three rings is unlikely.

1 Like

And this assuming you get a perfect split of drops of those two gems at the average drop rate of 1 of either in 50 ore. Most of us are probably looking at 5-6k ore a ring due to RNG. It’s insane and needs to be fixed.

1 Like

Professions have been heavily neglected this expansion. Feels bad. :frowning:

1 Like

you think that is bad try being a tailor. I am stuck at 115. I killed humans for like 30 minutes killed over 200 and got 0 deep sea silk, the only way I get any is to scrap any cloth gear I get and its frustrating. I don’t mind rare but tailoring is by far the 2nd hardest profession to level, the 1st being enchanting. jc isn’t nearly as bad as them

lol… no. just no.

the only point of professions this expansion is for the crafted bop gear that you can craft up to 440. tailoring is the cheapest to make these crafts and JC is BY FAR the most expensive.

take a look at this thread for analysis if you want to see how incorrect your statement is: HUGE Imbalance in the 8.2 crafted items - #48 by Dienda-firetree

you can drop like 20k gold to level tailoring to max, and then you can spend pennies to craft bracers for expulsom. you’re honestly wasting your time if youre trying to farm tailoring mats… they are dirt cheap.

2 Likes

Dude, as a JC, I can buy out the entire supply of red and green gems on my servers auction house right now, and still not have enough to craft my 415 ring. And it’s gonna cost me roughly 400k to do so.

1 Like