This "High Drop Chance on First Kill of Day, lol@your alts" Thing For Holidays is Total Garbage

Which is perfect. Palia’s holiday right now has items for 1200-2000 currency. And they only have one way to get the currency.

With WoW holidays, there’s dailies, there’s the daily boss kill, then they could add other ways to get currency from other places if they want.

The entire point is to make it a high price to work towards. And change up the rewards every year, swap stuff in and out, not unlike the Trading Post.

but we go back to this is not what we want type of thing
we dont need to farm tokens for the mount blizz i can do better idea then that
this type of cycle will continue till they say here its 100% drop rate but can only get one of the mount and wait for next year for the other or keep the 3%

“I’m going to make dozens of alts so I can game the system!”

Blizz: Naw, we will just even the field.

No we don’t. Maybe you don’t want to farm for currency, but we already do that for other vendor items during holidays. This at least gives people a way to work towards what they want and know there’s an end to their goal.

Low droprates for holidays isn’t good gameplay.

5 Likes

Everquest still does this with double rare events. Normal ones have about 1-2% chance to spawn. A 2-4% on a 24 hour spawn timer really doesn’t mean that much.

Obviously the solution is to remove the higher drop chance on first kill, so that alts dont feel “punished”.

Right?

Because that is what the OP is complaining about.

1 Like

Altoholics will always make alts. Using them to get more pulls of the slot machine is just a bonus – and a curse, at times.

Blizzard could make the mount only have a drop chance on the first kill. This would stop people from complaining about “having” to farm it. There will be continued complaints about the drop rate, though.

Players could do their best to exercise self control and not farm it on 40 toons a day.

Control your impulses and let it go, it’s just a keg for one dragon riding mount’s saddle.

I did it heaps the first few days and now that we know it’s like the Love Rocket, just once or so a day.

I agree it can feel crappy, and would prefer the drop chance locked in to the first kill only, but that’s not because Blizzard is bad – it’s because myself, and people with this many alts, are crazy :slight_smile:

It shouldn’t be a drop at all. Everything for holidays should be on vendors. The worst part about this game is low droprate fun items like this, imo.

It’s completely turned me off from even doing any holiday events. I don’t touch them at all now.

8 Likes

Seriously. Why is the “right way” to enjoy everything in this game to create dozens of throwaway characters just to mash your face into it mindlessly?

1 Like

the chances are pretty good I got it on my second run this event and this comes from a person who got the love rocket after the changes they did, I didn’t even farm for it.

I was curious, is there anything in this game that has BLP besides the legion legendaries? Id put it on almost everything if I had it my way

3 Likes

I think what the OP is saying is that having a low drop rate method of obtaining holiday items is not, in their opinion, optimal and that they would rather see a method where you collect tokens to obtain said items.
I for one would echo this sentiment. It gives the player an end goal to shoot for, a finish line that’s knowable at the start.
I understand this may not be every player’s preferred approach, but its a criticism/suggestion on the OP’s part.

6 Likes

Exactly! It’s what some of us have been asking about for years. When the “holiday refresh” was announced, people got excited to see what would be done with the droprates, since they’re so unpopular.

But instead of fixing the entire system, they just doubled down on it.

3 Likes

I don’t seem to think anything you’re claiming I think. The only surefire way to get a corporation’s attention is to stop rewarding behavior you don’t like. You get enough people to do it and they’ll take notice. I’m sorry you think we live in a magical fairytale land where multi billion dollar companies care about you. I’m also very amused I live in your mind when you’re a nobody to me.

I’m in this thread eating a bowl full of berries, instead of popcorn. The weird drama people are making this into is quirky, so I decided on the berries.

Damn shame that cherries are not in season anymore. :frowning:

Carry on, drama peoples.

2 Likes

That’s a fair argument to make, but I don’t think it’s the one the OP was making.

I suspect the reasoning for the low drop rate is because if whatever the thing was for each event was given out either by a currency gather (ie grinding) or a much increased drop chance, then fewer and fewer people would do it because they had the thing and therefore you would see a diminishing return situation of people being unable to form groups to get it.

I understand that rationale. It doesn’t make my frustration re the rocket any less (which I have tried for every year it has been available on many many multiple characters) but I understand it.

It sounds like it to me. He talks about how the entire design is bad with no steps taken forward with it. Especially given this was supposed to be a “holiday refresh” and they basically did nothing. :frowning:

That’s how I interpreted it, at least.

Not if the rewards are changed up every year, swap them in and out like the Trading Post, add new stuff every other year, make the old stuff cheaper, etc.

If other MMORPGs can do it, Blizz can, too.

1 Like

Obviously Im basing it on the way the holidays are now. As in, one item forever. Change the situation and yes, you can change the way it is organised.

Which, when they announce a “holiday refresh” should actually be a holiday refresh, including systems like this.

It’s easy, it’s a solid goal and it’s more of a positive experience, especially knowing that stuff would be back, other stuff may drop in price when new stuff comes in, etc.

Their fascination with low droprates is mind boggling to me. All it’s done is make me not play.