This game REALLY needs a CPU overhaul

I don’t think I can bring myself to trust userbenchmark, and I highly doubt they’ve toned down their stance. Either way, paper numbers aren’t good, and the tech world is not somewhere to be brand loyal anyhow. I like seeing the real world tests for games, since it can be surprising where the actual performance lies comparatively.

Intel’s current fiasco with the 13th and 14th gen is hurting them a lot, as we’re watching major servers full swap to AMD due to sheer unreliability.

I’m not sure on workstation stuff, but the high end AMD is quite good. As for things like Threadripper, that’s beyond the scope of my knowledge.

I had a 2080 that overheated and throttled every time I opened up Microsoft Office.

I said heck it and sacruficed my wallet on a 4090 with a water block. And it’s on a 7 year old CPU lmao

On the bright side, Hardware Unboxed demonstrated that it’s generally better to invest in your GPU over CPU in most games, assuming if you’re going to have a bottleneck regardless of your choice.

This game is very CPU dependent and does not take advantage of more than 4 cores at a time. Intel has always had stronger single-core performance than AMD. Valdrakken is just rough, because of all the people there all the time.

no actual joke its still on par with a rtx 3060, just no raytracing ( raytracing sucks anyway).

oh dear. your gonna make the nvidia boys MADDD.

Nah, we are happy with our superior GPUs.

4070Ti here and I don’t really have issues with FPS like you are talking about.

Using a 13900K main CPU and of course 64GB high end ram etc etc.

I will say though the fans on my PC go a bit nuts playing WoW after this patch whereas before they were pretty quiet.

I could see them making a new engine and just porting over game assests and encounter. It wouldn’t be a 1 to 1 but eventually I see it happening.

It would be a massive project larger then an expansion but i don’t think they would make a wow 2 instead

With my new card I am seeing some rando 7680 x 3240 resolution that I’ve never seen and even when I set that the FPS does not change, probably because my monitor cannot actually do that resolution, but mostly because it’s not a GPU issue that is bottlenecking us.

The only time I find I have a GPU bottleneck is when I set the render scale to 5120 x 2160, and I only lose like 10 FPS in Valdrakken, but a massive drop in the overworld trying to render max graphics at that resolution.

When I stay at my monitors native resolution of a sad 2560 x 1080 in the overworld I have zero issues.

Just Australian things. We earn more, but we pay more also.

It was honestly a good price over here, for example the 4090 is $3K over here and that’s a good price. That same 4090 is $1800 in America.

1 Like

I get that with your post count you just live here and make meaningless posts all day, but for normal people that’s called a waste of time.

1 Like

Lots of people? Imagine upgrading your PC for wow and it still under performs.

1 Like

What it needs is to actually fully use the GPU.

5 Likes

It does. The only bottleneck is when you’re in town and a lot of people are on. I can max out my usage on my 4090. 4k, 120hz, max settings. If I enable RT my frames dip. My 3080 was at max usage all the time with the same settings.

Just a tip for anyone buying a new GPU. Always buy a reference nvidia. Their new heatsinks blow every 3rd party out of the water. It’s why they are hard to find in stock. Even at max usage my 4090 s temps are low and it’s quiet.

Interesting, I wonder when they made that change. I know it use to be all CPU dependent.

1 Like

I forget when the shift happened. Let’s go with we are both right :beers:

Turn on Fluid Motion Frames in AMD software. I have same card, 7800xt and im running a Ryzen 5 7600x cpu. I get 120 fps in Valdraken. Also, turn view distance down to 7 (you seriously dont need it at 10) and change shadows to high (no noticible difference but does help in Valdraken) and you will be set. Im running at 1440p.

There is absolutely a CPU bottleneck in Valdrakken. Saying that wow can max out a GPU but if you are on a high end machine with no frame rate cap and the GPU isn’t 100% it’s a CPU bottle neck.

2 Likes

Indeed, in fact everyone should eke out every bit of life out of their machines.

I updated my system, I updated my graphics card, but the two things that improved my game performance the most were:

• Adding more RAM
  • Moving from a disk drive to an onboard PCI SSD

For whatever reason, the way this game runs has always been hard-drive-and-RAM intensive, that (for me at least) has seemed to be the main throttle.

1 Like