This “new world” game by Amazon

In be4 not wow related, they don’t give me a off topic forum

And anyways a new MMO on the market is always something wow related because WoW is the mother of all MMORPGs so we have to meet her new child

Anyone seen anything about the game at all?

2 Likes

?

24 Likes

Yep and I think it will be good because Jeff Bezos’s money is behind it

2 Likes

I am lost for words, I haven’t seen off topic in years how on earth have I missed it’s existence

6 Likes

Although I would have loved a single player RPG. MMO’s are a dying breed.

5 Likes

I’ve little doubt it will be good and well populated. I’m just not interested myself. Trying the latest mmorpg is so 2010

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, the idea of there being no classes and anyone can learn any ability they want seems intriguing. If you asked a wow player “if your character could have any ability from another class what would it be?” I’m pretty much everyone would have an answer.

7 Likes

It’s like going on blind dates at this point

However this one has me hopeful, famous last words

Is it a full-fledged MMORPG?

Last time I looked into it, it seemed a little ambiguous, like it might not be an MMO at all, or might be “MMO-Adjacent” or something.

I already know I’m not a huge fan of the setting (I don’t really like the whole pseudo-historical angle), but I’ll look into it more if it’s a proper MMORPG.

A very quick scan of google gives me the impression it’s gonna be more PvP focused with PvE just fueling the PvP. Maybe that’s wrong. I hope it’s wrong. That generally means it feels like there’s a lack of content IMO. Like BDO.

3 Likes

“New World is an upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing video game by Amazon Game Studios set to release in August 2020, with closed beta testing for pre-order purchases set to begin a month earlier, after being delayed from its May 2020 release date and April 2020 beta date. Set in the mid-1600s, players colonize a fictional land modeled after British America in the Atlantic Ocean.Players scavenge resources, craft items, and fight other players. The game will be using a buy to play model, meaning there will be no monthly mandatory subscription fee.”

Buy to Play typically means huge cash shop.

Looks like its a PVP centric game.

Open world MMO.

Amazon is calling it that, but it really isn’t.

The world looks good but the combat is awful, basically a hack and slash type of game. No spells, only swords, bows and throwing axes. Not interested.

2 Likes

In was created by the powers that be in order to neutralize search results for “new world order”

I will not be participating in such a scheme.

6 Likes

I’m having a hard time telling what it is even trying to be

They only release a few short bits of footage

I know it was made as a pvp game in its first phases of life but has started making switches towards pve stuff too

Funny article.

The parts I found endearing

"Previously, PvP was full loot and open world, with only outposts offering sanctuary. This meant everyone was vulnerable to attack at any time from players in the rest of the world. To attack, you flagged criminal intent. If you died as a criminal you’d lose all your gear and inventory. If you died to a criminal you’d lose all of your inventory but keep your equipped gear with durability damage taken.

It seems some players had their fun with this system, with high-level players killing low level players a lot - “sometimes exclusively”, Amazon said."
“This often led to solo or group griefing scenarios that created a toxic environment for many players,” the developer continued.

"To be clear, this behaviour was not shown by all PvP players, but enough to cause significant issues.

5 Likes

They have spells

There videos of people dropping flame balls in people’s heads and the video I just saw had a boss right with a holy trinity so there are healers too

Oh, yippee. Another “WoW killer.”

I’d like to think we as a community have seem enough wow killers to know WoW has drained enough people’s souls to never die

8 Likes

Looks like they are removing open world pvp and basically replacing it with something similar to battlegrounds.

Organized fights opted into. Not even supplying PVP only servers.

Looks pretty good, it has the combat style I like and the weapon and attack systems are things I always wish a game had. I will check it again when they add the PvE part of the game, PvP driven games are definitely not made for me.