"they want to try to save the system before throwing it out."

If feral is trash, then how did that one player succeed? Must be player skill. So if it’s player skill, you can get that skill too. Put in the time and effort to learn like they did it’s not impossible. If it was, there’d be no non-meta specs in the top rankings.

I’m trying to tell you guys to quit reducing yourselves to abilities and acting like the person behind the computer doesn’t matter. You right now are advocating that player skill doesn’t matter since these abilities are so important and that’s wrong.

1 Like

Yeah its gonna be interesting. Right now it feels like they either need to overhaul the system from the ground up or they need to heavily redo specific things with the covenant like soulbinds like you said

You can still switch. And people will in droves toward the Meta, then be locked into a cosmetic and aesthetic that they might not like in order to get into the groups they want, because that’s how these things always play out. That’s the whole point of the conversation.

And that’s their choice. It’s a choice that you need to make. Do you care more about DPS or how you look.

1 Like

And flexible gives you even more of a choice. But too much choice, that’s not RPG? That’s what I’m getting from your argument.

Yea, leave it as is. Min/maxing ruins creativity and forces a meta on every player. Instead of submitting to it go the other way. I don’t want the game built around the top 1%.

Don’t budge on this blizzard.

2 Likes

Being able to change at a whim makes the choice meaningless.

Look how crappy talents are with being able to be switched on a whim “oh this is an aoe talent, i take this for an aoe fight”

If you have to make a choice an stick with it it has more meaning.

1 Like

Really…strategizing in a RPG is bad now?

1 Like

That’s not strategizing, that’s picking cookie cutter.

If I have all the answers to every problem I face where is the challenge? Why even play the game?

That’s like me playing an RPG like skyrim, getting 100 in stealth, using stealth, and then switching to another skill I have 0 in and making it 100.

Considering 0 brain cells are used to figure out an aoe skill is good for aoe. That’s not strategic.

And talent trees were all cookie cutter, fight to fight.

Going aoe for an aoe heavy fight, is the same as swapping out Fire materia for Ice against a Fire boss. How is never adjusting for a fight more strategic? Let me use fire on this fire boss, because that’s what I’m locked into…

1 Like

At the end of the day, I think the convenant choices are supposed to be as important as your race or your class, as the intent of the choice. It’s rare when people are given choices that mean anything in games. I’m fine with them having this be one of those divergent paths. There are times where I’m playing my druid and wish I could bubble hearth, but I made that choice and play with the skills I have to the best of my ability. People can tell me that paladins do more damage, or they’re generally higher in the world and I could go roll one, or, I can be confident in the choice I made and stay the course.

Maybe not everything has to be a utility closet where the choices are frivolous and mean nothing because you can just use a 10 silver book and change whenever you like between pulls. I do multiple activities as well on my characters, from raiding to world pvp, and plan on doing arenas again with free time just because. Just like the class I pick, I’m ok with if we pick a covenant and staying with it, and hoping it works best for my favorite thing to do and works alright for the rest.

I’m sure it won’t be that, and they’ll cave and it’ll just be another row of talents because people would much rather be able to flavor of the month it on a whim. However, I applaud them for trying to put forth something new in so long and trying to make it actually matter.

1 Like

Because you have to pick based on overall, not a fight to fight basis.

Do I want to be more aoe? More ST? A little of both but not the best at either?

If <1% of players succeed in a particular spec, the problem is not the overwhelming majority is somehow lazy or stupid. The problem is with the design of the spec.

Specs should be balanced enough that the numbers should be pretty much equivalent across roles. The fact that you do not understand this - or you do but think making this false argument in support of bad design - means everything you are saying is at best irrelevant. At worst you are telling us stuff you know is false to deceive those who do not yet understand the issues.

Don’t worry, They’ll quit anyway when the time comes, and it really will be your fault.

It doesn’t matter what sort of “don’t worry be happy” nonsense you put into your posts.

Nope. Clearly that is not what I’m saying. Ask those people who got +75 infinite stars how they’d be doing without it. There’s the “balance” we will see in covenant abilities.

You are advocating that players should stick their heads in the sand and only come out when you tell them it’s safe to have fun. And you’ll tell them what fun is, because for sure they wouldn’t know for themselves if you didn’t tell them.

3 Likes

I can completely see that point of view. I do like the idea of being able to just pick a covenant you want because its most aesthetically pleasing. I really want to see more of the higher leveled gear in covenants

Your version of fun is not my version of fun. But our versions don’t matter, what matters is what the developers think. They said they’re split on this, like the community is. We can try and sway them with our opinions, but in the end its their choice.

I’d rather take their approach where they try to save the system and maybe implement it and then if it’s bad, allow for changing.

But I atleast want to try their version.

2 Likes

Which is why certain classes and specs were left behind and I would have to experience getting inspected in Shatt and Dala before being invited to a pug.

Some classes/specs are still left behind, it’s the way the game is. Not every spec should be good at everything.

Covenants actually can help with that. Is your class REALLY good at single target but crap at aoe? Pick the covenant with the aoe ability.

Your version of “fun” seems to involve watching other people suffer through restrictions that negatively impact their gameplay, then blaming them for having chosen the wrong covenant. So no. I’m a person who thinks the game should be fun for everyone, not just those whose fun is schadenfreude and feeling morally superior.

There is no saving the system come mid-expansion. It will be too late to do anything real to save it after the entire expansion is built around this concept. You know that. They know that. They want this and they’re going with it.

Try their version. And then, like so many, your only option will be to quit the game and hope they do better next expansion. If there is a next expansion.

3 Likes