There are obviously some changes necessary for TBC

no early access to belf and Draenei. it wasn’t how it was and it’ll help spread out the population during the launch.

Forcing ppl who are on classic server to play BC is wrong. The best option is just to copy your chars over to a TBC server. You would have your 60 snapshotted character on your classic server and your progression character on the TBC server. That way you wouldn’t decimate the population of the classic server. People might log back on their classic character from time to time. But if you allow transfers classic will be a ghost town.

They need to cap the gold you can copy over though. Not character wide, but server wide. Allowing players to just load all their alts each with thousands of gold to take to the new server is a bad idea.

…but that’s how expansions work, they expand upon the existing content.

At best you’ll get an opportunity to move (not copy) your character to a Vanilla-only server, while existing servers all get expanded with TBC, and later WotLK, and so forth. That way actual Vanilla-only players have a place to migrate to rather than be left behind on a dead server.

This is nonsense. If you just let me copy Fasciae over to a TBC server, I will never touch Vanilla-Only Fasciae ever again, but server analytics will show a massive number of characters anchored to the now very dead Fairbanks, and since there is a chance I might log into Vanilla-Only Fasciae, Blizzard can’t just delete me or merge Fairbanks with 5 other ghost town servers.

If you want whatever number of Vanilla-only folks that exist to have a chance at keeping a community after TBC launches, you want transfers from existing servers to Vanilla-locked servers. Otherwise you, and the other 3 dozen folks on your current realm will be all that care about playing it and Vanilla will well and truly die.

1 Like

you are 100% making assumptions with no evidence. In fact you are going directly against what evidence there is. Most people do not want to transfer theier characters.

I stopped reading your post after you made that stupid assumption.

why would they make players do extra work when blizzard can copy all character data on release night and paste it onto the new tbc servers? why would blizzard force players to delete their characters off of classic realms in order to play tbc? why not just let them play their characters in both tbc and classic?

This argument is insane. I have a warlock I stopped playing: Does them being unplayed somehow make westfall emptier? If the servers empty as people go to TBC, what difference does it make if their original characters still hang around as an unplayed account?

This is the factor that the pro-copy folks cannot grasp.

Sorting by last login time is about as basic as filters can get. Any “analytic” worth a damn will note large populations of unplayed characters.

i fully grasp that what you are worried about is something that doesnt matter at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPFrQrnlI8&ab_channel=AaronsAnimals

Because if you have hosts of idle characters and accounts sitting on a realm, but aren’t getting played because the TBC version is what those people are actually using, you create very populated, very filled Vanilla servers that have very minimal activity.

But this also means we have servers that Blizzard can’t just easily merge, meaning everyone is just stuck on a dead realm that says “High Population”

2 Likes

“extra work” :roll_eyes:

the server population reflects online characters, thats why it fluctuates between medium and high or low and medium

Joyson simply doesn’t care about that factor. Like, at all. The level of selfishness is staggering.

oops you didnt read my last reply before posting

Let me ask you this: what about the players who don’t want to play TBC? Who just want to continue in Classic? Not get the TBC talent changes, skill changes, etc shoved down their throat? Who truly want a continuous, eternal Vanilla timeline experience? They get tossed in the trash when Classic was created for that very purpose?

Come on, players will 100% have the option to keep their characters on pre-TBC servers. That’s not even a topic for discussion.

1 Like

Why should I acknowledge that after you clearly wrote:

Hope Blizzard makes some stasis servers for you.

because i said

in reply to

Because if 8,000 of the characters on a server remain, but only 200 of them ever continue to play, you leave a lot of very empty servers with no reasonable means of merging them on the off chance people come back. If I have a character on a server, I should be able to log in and play, which means Blizzard has to keep a lot of ghosted characters around and the server stays empty.

but there’s already a solution to this, they’ve even done it before. Merge the servers and tag non-unique names with the original server of creation. In fact, they even do it now, with classic accounts, they just chop off the server tag when displaying it in game.